UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:
Let's not forget where their sympathies lay with Hitler in 1933.

View attachment 1503691

1933?

When the late Queen was eight and the year Hitler became Chancellor?

What much of European aristocracy (including the adult members of the British Royal Family thought about Nazism was not that they supported the ideolgoy of Nazism as such but the fact that Nazism opposed Bolshevism, particularly after the fate of the Russian royal family became widely known. The British aristocracy regarded the Nazis as incorrigibly vulgar, but some thought they had some good political ideas especially in regards to communism. Their preoccupation in those days was not with what Hitler might do in the future, but with what the Bolsheviks had done in the recent past.

In 1933, the Russian Revolution had happened just 16 years earlier. The nobility had been slaughtered wholesale. In the years after, communism spread across Europe. Industrial turmoil, disaffection among the working class. Many people, both leftists and capitalists, were convinced that within a few short years, the established order would be swept away. The aristocracy feared the communists and the Russians far more than they feared the Nazis.

Historian Michael Bloch notes that throughout the 1930's "curiosity about the Nazis was intense, and many respectable people accepted government invitations [to Nazi Germany]. It was fashionable to go to Germany and visit Hitler in the mid-thirties just as it was to go to China and visit Mao Tse-tung in the sixties." The former British prime minister, Lloyd George had visited Germany in 1936 the leader of the Labour Party, the pacifist George Lansbury met with Hitler in April 1937, and Lord Halifax, later foreign secretary, visited the following month in May.

Of course that was to change from 1938 and 1939 as Hitler broke promise after promise and war broke out.

Bernard Wasserstein the emeritus professor of history at the University of Chicago suggests that for the most part the British aristocracy (including the royal family) was no more inclined to fascism than any other segment of the population. Sir Oswald Mosley’s British Union of Fascists had members from all classes, including proletarian racists from the East End of London.

After Hitler signed the German - Soviet pact (and the reaiisation that Hitler would not act as a buffer against communism) in 1939 any lingering support for Nazism in the British aristocracy largely disappeared.

Hitler later called the Queen Mother (Queen Elizabeth's II mother) "the most dangerous woman in Europe."

The Queen Mother herself wrote: “It made me all the more determined to beat those unspeakable Huns to see those little faces, so hurt for the sake of Nazi propaganda. I grind my teeth with rage.”

And in a letter to her niece..

“I am still just as frightened of bombs as I was at the beginning. I turn bright red and my heart hammers,”I’m a beastly coward, but I do believe that a lot people are, so I don’t mind! Well, darling, I must stop. Tinkety tonk, old fruit, and down with the Nazis!”

Edward VIII, (the Queen's uncle) also along with much of the world, certainly admired the economic achievements of the fascist regime, such as the reduction in unemployment, at a time before the Nazi brutality had been revealed.

The interpreter Paul Schmidt, who attended the meeting between Edward VIII and Hitler on 22nd October 1937 wrote:

"Hitler was evidently making an effort to be as amicable as possible towards the Duke, whom he regarded as Germany's friend, having especially in mind a speech the Duke had made some years before, extending the hand of friendship to Germany's ex-servicemen's associations. In these conversations, there was, so far as I could see, nothing whatever to indicate whether the Duke of Windsor really sympathised with the ideology and practices of the Third Reich, as Hitler seemed to assume he did. Apart from some appreciative words for the measures taken in Germany in the field of social welfare, the Duke did not discuss political questions."

The former Edward VIII himself admitted in an interview with an American newspaper in 1966 that he was foolish and naive about Hitler and in his memoirs wrote that Hitler was "a somewhat ridiculous figure, with his theatrical posturings and his bombastic pretensions". He also described in 1966 that Hitler "Great Britain and all of Europe had an interest in encouraging Germany to march against the east and to crush communism once and for all … I thought that we ourselves would be able to watch as the Nazis and the Reds would fight each other."

1933?

When the late Queen was eight and the year Hitler became Chancellor?

What much of European aristocracy (including the adult members of the British Royal Family thought about Nazism was not that they supported the ideolgoy of Nazism as such but the fact that Nazism opposed Bolshevism, particularly after the fate of the Russian royal family became widely known. The British aristocracy regarded the Nazis as incorrigibly vulgar, but some thought they had some good political ideas especially in regards to communism. Their preoccupation in those days was not with what Hitler might do in the future, but with what the Bolsheviks had done in the recent past.

In 1933, the Russian Revolution had happened just 16 years earlier. The nobility had been slaughtered wholesale. In the years after, communism spread across Europe. Industrial turmoil, disaffection among the working class. Many people, both leftists and capitalists, were convinced that within a few short years, the established order would be swept away. The aristocracy feared the communists and the Russians far more than they feared the Nazis.

Historian Michael Bloch notes that throughout the 1930's "curiosity about the Nazis was intense, and many respectable people accepted government invitations [to Nazi Germany]. It was fashionable to go to Germany and visit Hitler in the mid-thirties just as it was to go to China and visit Mao Tse-tung in the sixties." The former British prime minister, Lloyd George had visited Germany in 1936 the leader of the Labour Party, the pacifist George Lansbury met with Hitler in April 1937, and Lord Halifax, later foreign secretary, visited the following month in May.

Of course that was to change from 1938 and 1939 as Hitler broke promise after promise and war broke out.

Bernard Wasserstein the emeritus professor of history at the University of Chicago suggests that for the most part the British aristocracy (including the royal family) was no more inclined to fascism than any other segment of the population. Sir Oswald Mosley’s British Union of Fascists had members from all classes, including proletarian racists from the East End of London.

After Hitler signed the German - Soviet pact (and the reaiisation that Hitler would not act as a buffer against communism) in 1939 any lingering support for Nazism in the British aristocracy largely disappeared.

Hitler later called the Queen Mother (Queen Elizabeth's II mother) "the most dangerous woman in Europe."

The Queen Mother herself wrote: “It made me all the more determined to beat those unspeakable Huns to see those little faces, so hurt for the sake of Nazi propaganda. I grind my teeth with rage.”

And in a letter to her niece..

“I am still just as frightened of bombs as I was at the beginning. I turn bright red and my heart hammers,”I’m a beastly coward, but I do believe that a lot people are, so I don’t mind! Well, darling, I must stop. Tinkety tonk, old fruit, and down with the Nazis!”

Edward VIII, (the Queen's uncle) also along with much of the world, certainly admired the economic achievements of the fascist regime, such as the reduction in unemployment, at a time before the Nazi brutality had been revealed.

The interpreter Paul Schmidt, who attended the meeting between Edward VIII and Hitler on 22nd October 1937 wrote:

The former Edward VIII himself admitted in an interview with an American newspaper in 1966 that he was foolish and naive about Hitler and in his memoirs wrote that Hitler was "a somewhat ridiculous figure, with his theatrical posturings and his bombastic pretensions". He also described in 1966 that Hitler "Great Britain and all of Europe had an interest in encouraging Germany to march against the east and to crush communism once and for all … I thought that we ourselves would be able to watch as the Nazis and the Reds would fight each other."
Bit like wearing a MAGA hat in 2014.

Vale Queen Elizabeth II.

My wife put it nicely this morning: it's like one of the planets is gone, something that was always there. And I think even Liz Truss put it nicely when she said that Her Majesty gave so much, to so many, for so long. I think she was one of the most highly-respected people in the world, if not the most.

It hit me hard when I saw the flags in the city at half-mast this morning, a gloomy and rainy morning. Then at lunchtime, to my surprise, the Adelaide City Council had already put up memorial banners on the street light poles. They had no doubt been pre-made.

Despite being a lefty, I'm a monarchist because I see no good reason to get rid of the monarchy. You'll remember today for the rest of your life.

Yes she was for this one
"Thousands of elderly Kenyans, who claim British colonial forces mistreated, r*ped and tortured them during the Mau Mau Uprising (1951-1960),'
Didn't hear her ever apologise for anything the rest of her family did btw.
How many Indigenous people were shot through the head in the name of Britain?
Also, I've never heard her say she would like to give Ireland back to the Irish, that was Paul McCartney.
Face it mate, the British empire was a murderous, genocidal , racist regime.
Youre coming across as being racist against Caucasians especially anyone from Britain. Not to mention how classless you're behaving after someone's death who was admired by millions around the commonwealth.

Must suck to live inside your head with the amount of negative energy you spew on these forums.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Youre coming across as being racist against Caucasians especially anyone from Britain. Not to mention how classless you're behaving after someone's death who was admired by millions around the commonwealth.

Must suck to live inside your head with the amount of negative energy you spew on these forums.
Is this a serious post. What worth is a Kenyan life to you exactly?
Maybe you need to review the true history of the British Empire .

Are you a Pauline Hanson fan because you sound a lot like her.
Are you racist?

Isn't Ireland an independent country?
The English took 1/4 of the country and called it Northern Ireland which is now part of the Queen's Empire.
Before that, the island of Ireland was one country called Ireland.
Do I need to explain that to you? What do you think the IRA and Sein Fein and the Troubles was all about?
One country invaded another country and annexed part of their land. It's called theft.

Is this a serious post. What worth is a Kenyan life to you exactly?
Maybe you need to review the true history of the British Empire .
Your obsession with what happened well before any of us were alive and trying to make people feel guilty for it is really weird.

News flash. Every country was invaded at some point, bad stuff has happened for ever to every country by another and if it didnt come from those who did, someone else would have invaded anyway. Think logically for once

I can guarantee I wont
The day the Queen died?
Err... around finals time i think
If someone asks me a month from now (probably even less tbh) i wont be able to tell you the date she died tbh. What an odd post to suggest we'll all remember this lol. Ill remember Warnie passing much more clearly than the bloody queen

Your obsession with what happened well before any of us were alive and trying to make people feel guilty for it is really weird.

News flash. Every country was invaded at some point, bad stuff has happened for ever to every country by another and if it didnt come from those who did, someone else would have invaded anyway. Think logically for once
Good idea, let's cover it all up and teach an alternate history like we have been doing.
The British Empire is covered with blood and killing, but you probably weren't taught that part.

Some people choose to live a life of guilt and hate.

No idea why?

Remove this Banner Ad

UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back