UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:
I'm certainly no Monarchist. The sooner we're a Republic the better IMO.

However, thats a question for another thread.

I do have admiration for the lady QE2. I think she's been an amazing person who has been ever present in many people's lives for so long. The word is duty. She did her job with humility & good humour.

She did her job through profound changes in society. Just think of her in WW2, then being Queen at a young age. The historic changes, social changes, technological changes in those 96 years, 70 years of doing her job. Amazing to think of all that.

RIP QE2

The worst thing now will be that we'll have to put up with that idiotic & embarrassing clutz EX Senator Eric Abetz, head of the Monarchist arze kissing league. He'll have his mourning suit on permanently now.

When Cromwell died & Charles II got the throne, they exhumed Cromwell, beheaded his rotting corpse & hung it from a gibbet.
My pub was called The Royal Oak because allegedly the oak tree in the beer garden was grown from an acorn from a descendant of the Charles II oak tree although I could never find any evidence that this was any more than a good story.

He was a mass-murdering tyrant who massacred Catholics across Britain.

Realistically, it's difficult to find any political figure in Europe and North America before, generously, the second half of the 19th century who wasn't a monster.
Yeah seemed like back in the day if you lived to 40 you've done well

in other news...

King Charles the 3rd will be printed onto all out new coins and $5 notes

He will face left as they change direction of gaze each monarch.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in other news...

So hes facing west?

Great, bet hes a hbfer with a chance of being a mid :(

in other news...

How can you fit those ears on a banknote?

Nonsense. She could have abdicated at any point in her life. She obviously liked being Queen and was a firm believer in the commonwealth and British colonialism. She was an adversary of anyone who supports the republican movement.
Well obviously she would be opposed to the republican movement. And of course she was a firm believer in the Commonwealth, but her views on British colonialism would've changed over the years. She was extremely conscientious and believed it was her life long job to reign as Queen of the United Kingdom and to support the Commonwealth. To some that seems an outdated idea, but that is the reason she's been respected throughout the world, for her steadfastness.

It's being disrespectful to her memory. We can have that conversation at a later date. For goodness' sake, she hasn't even had her funeral yet! I'm not saying we can never have a republic, but give those who respected and liked her a chance to mourn her. You'll only put people offside if you start yammering about a republic a day after she's passed away.
At the end of the day ,she represented the class system and her family colonised many countries causing widespread killing of Indigenous peoples.

At the end of the day ,she represented the class system and her family colonised many countries causing widespread killing of Indigenous peoples.
A lot of bad things happened in the past, no one's denying that. And in a while, it will be okay to have a discussion about becoming a republic. But she's been Queen of Australia for 70 years, so people need time to reflect and move on.

Perhaps I could add that it was the government of the day that did the colonisation. The monarchy has had little if any political power for a long time.

Someone should ask the surviving members of the Birmingham 6 or Guildford 4 about how they're feeling today after what they went through in her name.
And some people should probably learn there is a time and place lest other start talking about a Lord Protector. And this is from someone that leans to the some people side.

Remove this Banner Ad

UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back