UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:
To some that seems an outdated idea, but that is the reason she's been respected throughout the world, for her steadfastness.

Not everywhere.

And

Whether you endorse their views or not, the reality is that outside our own coddled state, British power and the monarchy that represents it is extremely divisive and reviled, including for its actions during the past 70 years.

Not everywhere.

And

Whether you endorse their views or not, the reality is that outside our own coddled state, British power and the monarchy that represents it is extremely divisive and reviled, including for its actions during the past 70 years.

And I'd say there are many millions who don't think that way. Of course there are people who are anti-monarchy. Let them enjoy themselves in their own way, and let the majority mourn in peace.

I really don't see how those who wish to mourn the queen are prevented from doing so. It is not a comment on her personally. If our country's desire for independence is inherently harmful to her memory then it doesn't say much for her legacy. It just supports the view that her role was only in service of upholding a nation's desire to desperately cling on to a fading empire.

If we're talking about reflection, she was one of the most major political figures of the past century, and many will remember her as one of the most privileged people who ever lived, born into an undemocratic position of power and that her tenure was fundamentally immoral and harmful.
We can certainly have a debate about that at the right time. This is not the right time.

A political figure has died. There should be no time for “decorum” in terms of not having conversations because of the time.

If she/her family wanted “respect” and “privacy” and “decorum” at this time they should have chosen a life as a private citizen. Can’t have it both ways.
She wasn't a political figure. The Queen's role in Government: As Head of State The Queen has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters. By convention, The Queen does not vote or stand for election, however Her Majesty does have important ceremonial and formal roles in relation to the government of the UK.

It's neither here nor there whether her family wants respect, privacy or decorum. It's what the public expects and wants, imho.

Not everywhere.

And

FcKATwNXoAIZ36D

She wasn't a political figure. The Queen's role in Government: As Head of State The Queen has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters. By convention, The Queen does not vote or stand for election, however Her Majesty does have important ceremonial and formal roles in relation to the government of the UK.

It's neither here nor there whether her family wants respect, privacy or decorum. It's what the public expects and wants, imho.
Lol.

If you believe she was apolitical I don’t know what to tell you. Every utterance and outing was carefully crafted and statements had political impact.

Glad to see you can speak for the entirety of the public though.

Alright, that's enough.

Crow54, posters are allowed to post as they would in this thread. It isn't for you to decide what an appropriate reaction to this is.

As for everyone else, acknowledge that there will be people who are in mourning and show an appropriate level of maturity, or you will be threadbanned.

I very much disagree.

She was very much a political figure and, more importantly, her position and role given to her by an archaic birthright process, is the embodiment of the political class system that is an anathema to principles of freedom and equality that underpin modern democratic principles.

And, as was pointed out to me in another thread, her personal role in influencing government decision making was more than evident throughout her reign. e.g.:

Not everywhere.

And

Please name a country that has not done bad things ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean a fictional country that basically said to all its impoverished neighbours "* you I got mine"?
I like how the resolution was they donated a basketball court to an impoverished suburb.

Remove this Banner Ad

UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back