Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's my grandma you are talking about campaigner. How much longer does she have to put up with this BS ?
Xg6zoEw.gif

Track should be in Sunbury. It annoys and inconveniences Albert Park and Middle Park residents.

Why not, we held the Centenary ashes matches and a couple AFL praccies, we're even a stones throw from Calder park so perfect location for road tracks in F1 and you even have a percentage chance for "oh shit roo" avoidances and snakes being caught in spokes. Several wineries around to be all snobbish also, really is win-win. Populace wise, we did hold our own woodstock back in the day, didn't see any of those nancy metroflogs doing that and Gunners did choose Calder Park for their show in the 90's, so really a no brainer.

Sporting capital of Victoria, home of the Ashes on Australian soil Sunbury has a nice ring to it. Instead of a stump and ball clock we can mount a 4x4 in memory of the celeb race and take bets on what happens first; a tag or it falling and causing more damage than its worth and then loling at the bus depot getting blocked in.

Tough s**t. They can sell up and move.

****ing annoying when you live and work around there.

They should build and airport next to every other campaigner's house.

Don't think all the cafes and restaurants in the area would agree

I tell you what, I was wishing I owned a bar on Swan Street on Saturday night. That place was packed.

The GP isn't that great for local businesses, a lot of it is self contained so they don't go outside. After for dinner it probably isn't bad and the hotels would all be full.

You don't tell the FIA where you will be racing.
You submit a proposal and they choose whether that will fit their requirements.

There was no Australian Grand Prix for a long time, Australia had no good tracks and Australia itself was not on the way to anywhere.
( They once had a sports car championship at Sandown, they had to add some bends to the track that didn't really make sense, to get to the required length ).
The Adelaide street circuit broke the ice, but after a few years, lack of commitment put Adelaide on thin ice.

Melbourne has a few things going for it.
Historical Significance. The Albert Park Race Circuit was used in the 1950s.
Scenery: The circuit around the lake is unique.
Proximity to the City : Popular with spectators and participants. Accommodation/Transport/Catering Easy.

If you say you are moving to to Sunbury they may consider it, but they may also consider abandoning Australia and going to any of a number of countries that don't currently host an F1. Good luck selling Sunbury.

your view. Not the 400.000 who went to it.

Hah obviously my view, that's how the internet works! If you get your kicks out of watching cars drive around in circles then good for you. I have a mate who loves the F1, but he also loves buying a new bigger TV each year and complaining about his mortgage so he's not exactly the smartest dude.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't tell the FIA where you will be racing.
You submit a proposal and they choose whether that will fit their requirements.

There was no Australian Grand Prix for a long time, Australia had no good tracks and Australia itself was not on the way to anywhere.
( They once had a sports car championship at Sandown, they had to add some bends to the track that didn't really make sense, to get to the required length ).
The Adelaide street circuit broke the ice, but after a few years, lack of commitment put Adelaide on thin ice.

Melbourne has a few things going for it.
Historical Significance. The Albert Park Race Circuit was used in the 1950s.
Scenery: The circuit around the lake is unique.
Proximity to the City : Popular with spectators and participants. Accommodation/Transport/Catering Easy.

If you say you are moving to to Sunbury they may consider it, but they may also consider abandoning Australia and going to any of a number of countries that don't currently host an F1. Good luck selling Sunbury.

Not the end of the world! I feel like we could find a better use for the $70m we spend on the F1 every year, like maybe improving healthcare?

Not the end of the world! I feel like we could find a better use for the $70m we spend on the F1 every year, like maybe improving healthcare?
Always an option. Bust most governments have concluded that it does in fact provide an economic benefit.

Regardless, an el-cheapo version at Sunbury is no more an option than having Morwell as a FIFA world Cup host city.

A few people who live nearby who don't like it were never going to stop it.

Major events are a way of spiking spending in the economy. The government does them because they earn back everything they spend and more. A bit like our Auto industry, the subsidies were tiny compared to the amount the economy turned over.

Always an option. Bust most governments have concluded that it does in fact provide an economic benefit.

Regardless, an el-cheapo version at Sunbury is no more an option than having Morwell as a FIFA world Cup host city.

A few people who live nearby who don't like it were never going to stop it.

Oh totally, it's Albert Park or bust - just saying I reckon I'd prefer bust

Major events are a way of spiking spending in the economy. The government does them because they earn back everything they spend and more. A bit like our Auto industry, the subsidies were tiny compared to the amount the economy turned over.

Yeah they might be right or they might not, it's all guesswork - there's no way of modelling the counterfactual without letting go of the F1 for a year or two, but the FIA clearly wouldn't allow that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back