Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m genuinely not having a go at you cause we all do this but when I said “casual homophobia” at footy clubs this is the sort of gear I’m talking about. It’s almost entrenched in young Aussie men
That’s more anti women (old, out of touch, desperately stupid women) than anti gay tbf

I’m genuinely not having a go at you cause we all do this but when I said “casual homophobia” at footy clubs this is the sort of gear I’m talking about. It’s almost entrenched in young Aussie men

I'm still spewing the kookaburra is not gay any longer because society is a tween and giggles whilst being shocked and appalled.

Sorry don't form my opinions from Twitter.

As for do I want Australia to be religious farked like the Middle East or the stilted machismo of South America? Do I really need to answer that?
And I have problem with sportsmen coming out, there choice and their choice only, none of my business, good on them.

In the 90's there were radical gays outing homosexuals who were then subjected to acute embarrassment as they weren't ready and their families found out before they could tell them.
It's intensely personal, but this attack on their privacy and their rights is tantamount to bullying in my eyes.
Why pressure players if they don't want to? To what end? Well it is to virtue signalling at the expense of individual rights.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not suggesting you should form it from Twitter, I’m suggesting that seeing the volume of young men commenting on how powerful it was for them to see an out professional soccer player resonated with them and made them feel more comfortable and accepted was fairly powerful, Twitter is just a simple tool to see it (I don’t actually have a Twitter account fwiw). You can ignore that if you like but you made the point no one under 30 cares, I can assure plenty do.

I think this is sort of the fundamental difference. You think a story like this is intended to put pressure on the gay players, I think it’s intended to put pressure on the AFL to ensure it’s doing everything it can to make the game more inclusive and welcoming. I’m sure a handful of ambulance chaser reporters wanna get the scoop but I also think plenty of people just want us to progress to a point where someone’s sexuality genuinely doesn’t matter and the biggest sport in the country isn’t a bad place to check in on imo.

That’s more anti women (old, out of touch, desperately stupid women) than anti gay tbf
But if your a confused teenager down at your local footy club and hear that joke, the natural extension being that blokes only turn cause of old, ugly women, or the other standard stuff (x is gay, etc etc) it’s not exactly a welcoming environment is it?

But if your a confused teenager down at your local footy club and hear that joke, the natural extension being that blokes only turn cause of old, ugly women, or the other standard stuff (x is gay, etc etc) it’s not exactly a welcoming environment is it?
I long for a world still allowed humour and nuance. Swiftly driving it to a place devoid of both.
Working with gay clients currently, they poke more fun at themselves than anyone. We have great banter, I would be prejudice to exclude them from banter.
I hate anecdotes but I guess what I’m trying to say is where does this end?
Well, I sure wish it ended before books about anal and gay sex were being printed for 8 year olds.

I don't have a problem with Darcy Moore being gay, I don't think anyone does

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I long for a world still allowed humour and nuance. Swiftly driving it to a place devoid of both.
Working with gay clients currently, they poke more fun at themselves than anyone. We have great banter, I would be prejudice to exclude them from banter.
Well, I sure wish it ended before books about anal and gay sex were being printed for 8 year olds.
There’s a huge, huge difference between a strong confident adult gay man and a young confused kid though. Much like you I banter and joke around with my gay mates but I’ve spoken to a lot of them about their experience as teenagers and young adults and the jokes and comments really wounded them, a few have said it made them stay in the closet for years longer, Stand Up has quite a few who were driven from homes, sporting clubs etc because of it. Much like how as adults we learn when and how to make those jokes with other marginalized groups.

Yep, work with a gay bloke and have worked with many before. Same as you, they like to take the piss out of themselves and me as much as anyone.

If you're a decent human being you just treat everyone with decency. You'd have to have a screw loose to do otherwise.

If people still feel like they can't be themselves I reckon that's on them by this point. I've never come across anyone who openly discriminates other people. Quite frankly nobody gives a shit about anyone but themselves, why would they spend a second caring about who some bloke down the road likes to peg.

I've never come across anyone who openly discriminates other people.
I have, as have many many others but the whole “openly” thing is pretty important there. Just cause it doesn’t happen openly doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Anyway this isn’t the spot to preach, watch or don’t watch the ABC thing, I do find it weird some are so opposed to the abc doing the story though.

I have, as have many many others but the whole “openly” thing is pretty important there. Just cause it doesn’t happen openly doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Anyway this isn’t the spot to preach, watch or don’t watch the ABC thing, I do find it weird some are so opposed to the abc doing the story though.
Not so much opposed, I think it's just like most have said - nobody cares what other people do in their private life.

They care that nobody cares about what they do in their private lives? Weird
Hard to grasp when you’re in the majority but some people would just love for everyone else to accept them. My point was more that representation matters.

Hard to grasp when you’re in the majority but some people would just love for everyone else to accept them. My point was more that representation matters.
I see where you’re coming from. I’d say they are as accepted as they’ve ever been.
What probably divides people more than anything are often the people driving these initiatives aren’t even apart of the group they “fight for”, and they are overly emotive and extreme.
Happens time and time again.

I think there is a far larger crisis for men as a whole than just the gays. That’s not a “cool” topic at all, however. In fact it’s completely shunned and scoffed at.

I see where you’re coming from. I’d say they are as accepted as they’ve ever been.
What probably divides people more than anything are often the people driving these initiatives aren’t even apart of the group they “fight for”, and they are overly emotive and extreme.
Happens time and time again.

I think there is a far larger crisis for men as a whole than just the gays. That’s not a “cool” topic at all, however. In fact it’s completely shunned and scoffed at.
I’d agree with that.

Don't think that ever happened apart from in Andre Bolt's imagination.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back