Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Arguably we need to invest in wave more, as since majority are coastal, and we're a big island, there's a lot of potential in farming the oceans that surround us to then provide the power in the densest spots on the coastlines population wise for secondary renewables. What was it 2 years ago they trialled wave tech in the strait for Tassie to some success, but say, global warming stuff;

Solar in the big middle, as durr, run those lines in the hottest parts where the sun hangs the longest in the sky.
Wave around the coasts, as if you get 50% of totals at present, as the tech progresses and the seas and such swell more and more, you can cover more of the sun and wind with wave.

Whilst gas is cheaper to build, it's not really to run as we export most of it elsewhere anyway.

We need commercially viable.
Waves....no-one can build a useful sized commercially viable power station yet.

Solar panels need "light" not heat. They actually work best in full sun on a cold day.
Thermal solar, reflectors to a central heat source use heat, but once again, not horribly viable, though there have been some interesting pilot sized plants.

People keep talking about Electicity like its transportable.
You really need to be within 500km of a power source , and you still get 10% total system loss. ( part of that is transmission loss ).
You can use a DC link, which has less loss over longer distance, but then you can't use it along the way.
A DC transmission line loses around 3.5% per 1000km. It works better underwater, because conductivity is better in the cold.
The conversion at the end is expensive.
If you had a big solar farm at Perth, you could ship the solar energy to Melbourne at prime time, but if you wanted to ship to Adelaide too, you'd need a separate link. New Zealand probably feasible too.

Of course Victoria's government didn't realise this when they promised Alcoa Portland years of cheap power, at the opposite end of the state to where the power stations were.
They were also kind of left trying to come up with a reason they were spending millions on transmission lines...."ohhh uh....we're uh...building a national grid link to South Australia " true story.
If they hadn't needed to get electricity to Portland in huge chunks, we probably wouldn't be connected to S.A.

They’re going to have to put batteries on houses and in smaller storage units. Storage big enough for anything serious would be prohibitively expensive. Up in the bush I have several batteries instead on one big pack. Cheap to buy and replace and do everything I need.

A typical home solar and battery can't charge an electric car.
Do we get rid of all the industry that needs more than 5 or 10 kw?
In breaking news, there is a housing crisis.
That's why there are cars wall to wall parked in the street outside new apartment and unit complexes.
Roofspace could become a rare commodity, as well as a place to charge an EV.

Houses are already expensive and big batteries for charging cars are bloody expensive anyway.
People can't even afford rent, let alone Tesla's and batteries.

Victoria are pretty much copying California, ie shut down fossel fuels, just build a lot of renewable crap without really planning anything.
Rolling brownouts the norm, and people not getting to work because the car is flat.

We need commercially viable.
Waves....no-one can build a useful sized commercially viable power station yet.

Solar panels need "light" not heat. They actually work best in full sun on a cold day.
Thermal solar, reflectors to a central heat source use heat, but once again, not horribly viable, though there have been some interesting pilot sized plants.

People keep talking about Electicity like its transportable.
You really need to be within 500km of a power source , and you still get 10% total system loss. ( part of that is transmission loss ).
You can use a DC link, which has less loss over longer distance, but then you can't use it along the way.
A DC transmission line loses around 3.5% per 1000km. It works better underwater, because conductivity is better in the cold.
The conversion at the end is expensive.
If you had a big solar farm at Perth, you could ship the solar energy to Melbourne at prime time, but if you wanted to ship to Adelaide too, you'd need a separate link. New Zealand probably feasible too.

Of course Victoria's government didn't realise this when they promised Alcoa Portland years of cheap power, at the opposite end of the state to where the power stations were.
They were also kind of left trying to come up with a reason they were spending millions on transmission lines...."ohhh uh....we're uh...building a national grid link to South Australia " true story.
If they hadn't needed to get electricity to Portland in huge chunks, we probably wouldn't be connected to S.A.
Thomas Edison and his backers actually unsuccessfully lobbied to have a DC power grid system in the USA before there was a power grid, and obviously lost when the AC system eventually was established.

Thomas Edison and his backers actually unsuccessfully lobbied to have a DC power grid system in the USA before there was a power grid, and obviously lost when the AC system eventually was established.

Rotating generators usually produced AC . They were cheaper, more efficient, and more reliable than DC generators at the time.
Some things needed DC but it was easy to rectify an AC wave to DC , to do the opposite, you needed to run a DC motor coupled to an AC generator.
All the AC generators on the grid were synchronised , running exactly the same orientation as each other.
There were lots of other reasons why AC was a better solution.

Modern inverter technology has been revolutionary in allowing DC to AC conversion, as well as frequency speed control of AC motors.
Wind Turbines would probably not be viable if they had to synchronise to the grid.
Rooftop solar would not be an option without them.

Solar panels produce DC, so in theory you could have a huge solar farm in central australia, and feed whatever it produced directly to a capital city, and only invert it to AC at the end.

Just had a read of this, very interesting, you could make a movie about the current wars.

. Edison's DC Generators had to be within a mile of the places using it.
. They conspired so that the first electric chair used the oppositions AC power.
. They publicaly killed and electrocuted dogs to demonstrate the dangers of AC power.
. They still provide DC for some sites, mainly for old elevators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got a net and killed all of them
My old man used to grab the handle end of a broom and whack possums to death if he couldn't sleep at night cos they'd run along the fence line and eat into his newly planted roses.

Bet ya can't do that. Well, you're a lettuce eater so probably don't have the strength to lift the broom to begin with xo

My old man used to grab the handle end of a broom and whack possums to death if he couldn't sleep at night cos they'd run along the fence line and eat into his newly planted roses.

Bet ya can't do that. Well, you're a lettuce eater so probably don't have the strength to lift the broom to begin with xo
I've whacked rats and mice before but no I wouldn't kill a possum I like them they're cute I don't mind if they eat my capsicums.

I've whacked rats and mice before but no I wouldn't kill a possum I like them they're cute I don't mind if they eat my capsicums.

I used a brick personally, after all, when you trap one and they scurry up walls to jump escape the only correct response is to bludgeon it with a blunt cinder block. Similar story with a brown snake previously where instead of a brick it was a long handled shovel on its side as GTFO of my garden you heathen.

But yeah a possum is a catch and release, just as the blue tongue was catch and release as last thing you want is for native to become road kill or to come to terms with the local sort of feral cats/dogs/whatever is local, though I haven't seen the roos come to fisticuffs, they've more been shit scared as what are these houses doing here and where's my field?

In other news, I was sitting here gaming and saw a black thing fly across the room, hit the all in front of me and disappear behind my PC tower. I'm all WTF was that and grab the fly spray as obviously had to be a fly of some descript as it hit the ceiling fan to get launched, but lo and behold...

It was a cricket, found that out when it tried to hop on my foot as I was looking up and around the room, actually swatted him with the flay spray can I was holding outta the room, had no idea how he came in, but he also got ushered outta the door he probably entered so he can bugger off back into the garden.

But gee imagine a cricket getting punted by a ceiling fan and just missing the back of your head to hit a wall off to the side on a random Wednesday night.

I used a brick personally, after all, when you trap one and they scurry up walls to jump escape the only correct response is to bludgeon it with a blunt cinder block. Similar story with a brown snake previously where instead of a brick it was a long handled shovel on its side as GTFO of my garden you heathen.

But yeah a possum is a catch and release, just as the blue tongue was catch and release as last thing you want is for native to become road kill or to come to terms with the local sort of feral cats/dogs/whatever is local, though I haven't seen the roos come to fisticuffs, they've more been s**t scared as what are these houses doing here and where's my field?

In other news, I was sitting here gaming and saw a black thing fly across the room, hit the all in front of me and disappear behind my PC tower. I'm all WTF was that and grab the fly spray as obviously had to be a fly of some descript as it hit the ceiling fan to get launched, but lo and behold...

It was a cricket, found that out when it tried to hop on my foot as I was looking up and around the room, actually swatted him with the flay spray can I was holding outta the room, had no idea how he came in, but he also got ushered outta the door he probably entered so he can bugger off back into the garden.

But gee imagine a cricket getting punted by a ceiling fan and just missing the back of your head to hit a wall off to the side on a random Wednesday night.
We've noticed a big increase in cricket numbers this year and heard they're around in increased numbers all over the place. Assuming ideal breeding conditions.......

But yeah a possum is a catch and release, just as the blue tongue was catch and release as last thing you want is for native to become road kill or to come to terms with the local sort of feral cats/dogs/whatever is local, though I haven't seen the roos come to fisticuffs, they've more been s**t scared as what are these houses doing here and where's my field?

There are just heaps of crickets around at the moment.

Edit: uh yeah what True Believer said.

We've noticed a big increase in cricket numbers this year and heard they're around in increased numbers all over the place. Assuming ideal breeding conditions.......

Yeah it was a once off, I mean, I'm used to things coming over here given the proximity to the pine tree reserve and river system running through it as yeah, when you wake up to a random ibis on the roof all "what are these tiles?" having a peck, randomly see kangaroo, kookaburra, lizards, snakes, ducks, frogs, possums well, let's just say we made friends with the local magpies so they could fight the snakes and be done with it yes.

When I mentioned it to the sister today as she called since was my birthday yesterday for a dinner date tomorrow to celebrate, she mentioned that it might have come in when she visited as she has them at her place as yes, she breeds them for her snake and geckos.

It was just more so, that cricket would have then been around for maybe 8 hours before it got noticed if she was the one that brought it over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion The Random Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back