anf06

All Australian
Dec 13, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I am a little confused about the much of the umpiring, particularly in the last quarter.

What I saw was the most ridiculous lack of consistency on some occasions, and on others, a complete disregard for the rules of the game. Robert Walls commented on the rub of the green that Richmond was getting last night, and thats when you know that we were harshly done by.

Incidents that made me literally jump out of my seat and walk up and down the isle with my hands on my head (and it wasn't anger, it was bewilderment) :

1. 3rd quarter, Alwyn Davey holds up Cotchin (i think?) after he takes a mark and oversteps his mark by 2 metres. Penalty 50m and goal.

1.1. Last quarter, Myers (or NLM - memory fading), same situation, told to go back and take kick.

2. NLM very obviously thrown down without the ball in front of goal. Play On.

3. Leroy Jetta's non mark in the 3rd.

4. Paddy Ryder's non mark in the 3rd.

5. David Hille's non mark in the 4th.

6. Throwing the ball rule. This is the one which gave me the greatest sense of confusion. You CANNOT one-handed handpass (throw the ball up and then punch it away) a ball. It happened 3 times, right in front of the umpires nose and he saw it very clearly, and they just called play-on. I just don't understand why the most obvious of free kicks are just let go like that and cost us 2 goals.

This may sound like a anger filled rant, but I am genuinely confused of that umpiring in that last quarter in particular. It's like the umpires threw out the rules and just made it up as they went along.

Can't wait for the Geeeeeesh this week.

It's as simple as this, the umpiring and goal kicking are the only parts of the game that haven't elvolved in the last 25 years. Until the umpires catch up with the players and become professional, they are going to get things wrong.

The umpiring that I've seen this year has been nothing short of awful, and it's not just Essendon games i've watched. What hasn't helped at times are the rules that they have to interperate.

The thing that hurt, was that most resulted in a goal to Richmond, or stopped us getting a goal, and then Richmond would score a goal

Farmer and Martin both gave one handers in the last, and both resulted in goals. The NLM one was a disgrace. Also, I don't know who it was, but a Richmond player hatched the ball on the wing late in the last, and no holding the ball was paid.

Honestly though, our crowd was pretty quiet last night, so that can make a difference too.

6. Throwing the ball rule. This is the one which gave me the greatest sense of confusion. You CANNOT one-handed handpass (throw the ball up and then punch it away) a ball. It happened 3 times, right in front of the umpires nose and he saw it very clearly, and they just called play-on. I just don't understand why the most obvious of free kicks are just let go like that and cost us 2 goals.

Can't wait for the Geeeeeesh this week.

not blaming the umps for the loss last but this is the one that is driving me nuts - why are they allowing these clearly incorrect disposals:mad::mad::confused::confused:

watched a couple of local games of footy here in Cairns yesterday - for the most part the 2 central umpires did a beautiful job & tbh made it look easy - if you dropped the ball or muffed a hand pass then guess what? a free kick was paid against you:eek:

wont be waiting for any logical explanation from that muppet named Geisham:thumbsdown:

No good even thinking about the umpiring - I'd start by getting our guys not to kick straight............... - ...............to the opposition players that is.

That Martin "Handpass" in the middle of the ground that got called play on and resulted in a Nahas goal was absolutely disgusting. Umps were ok up until 3QTR time but in the 4th Quarter it was a different story

Umpire was 'blindsided' with the Dustin Martin throw.

Any game where the umps can 'put the whistle away' if they feel like it is always going to be contentous.

I lost my voice, have strained my vocal chords and so have some difficulty breathing, and may have a throat infection due to yelling at the umpiring decisions yesterday. Lucky I wasn't at the Sydney game. Bloody pathetic, but an equally horrible performance from the team.

For the record the free kick count was 23-20 in Essendons favour and goals scored from frees was 3-0 Essendons way. Not sure how you guys can blame the umpires for the loss.

BTW just wonder what you guys thought of the free kick that was paid to the Bombers in the second quarter where Browne held off Bellchambers in the ruck with his arm, won the hitout and yet the umpire blows his whistle everyone stopped, which allowed the Essendon player to simply run off and kick a goal unopposed. For mine it cancels out the dubious Martin disposal

I completely agree with your entire post.

If you saw Simon Black's throw to set up the winning goal for Brisbane last night, it would make you think Martin's handpass was legal...

For the record the free kick count was 23-20 in Essendons favour and goals scored from frees was 3-0 Essendons way. Not sure how you guys can blame the umpires for the loss.

BTW just wonder what you guys thought of the free kick that was paid to the Bombers in the second quarter where Browne held off Bellchambers in the ruck with his arm, won the hitout and yet the umpire blows his whistle everyone stopped, which allowed the Essendon player to simply run off and kick a goal unopposed. For mine it cancels out the dubious Martin disposal

all the free kicks we got were earned, however the ones we didnt get are the ones were not happy with, has nothing to do with the free kick count, and the one your talking about was right, players chose there advantage, and nobody is blaming the umps, learn to read or get out.

Lol.

Since when was is the free kick count the marker for correct umpiring?

How is a play that WAS a free kick and that stupid advantage rule has been given in many games this year cancels out a guy throwing the ball MULTIPLE times.

Pls go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all the free kicks we got were earned, however the ones we didnt get are the ones were not happy with, has nothing to do with the free kick count, and the one your talking about was right, players chose there advantage, and nobody is blaming the umps, learn to read or get out.

Perhaps you should learn to read if you think no-one is blaming the umpires:

That Martin "Handpass" in the middle of the ground that got called play on and resulted in a Nahas goal was absolutely disgusting. Umps were ok up until 3QTR time but in the 4th Quarter it was a different story

Agree that the umps have no idea. The Martin call was a joke. It is completely random, one week they favour one team and the next a different team. However, cannot blame Richmond for the umpires mistakes.

I lost my voice, have strained my vocal chords and so have some difficulty breathing, and may have a throat infection due to yelling at the umpiring decisions yesterday. Lucky I wasn't at the Sydney game. Bloody pathetic, but an equally horrible performance from the team.
Looks like there are a few blaming the umpires. Amazing how when a team loses the umpires are more often than not to blame and yet when they win, there is barely a thing said about poor umpiring decisions.

Lol.

Since when was is the free kick count the marker for correct umpiring?

How is a play that WAS a free kick and that stupid advantage rule has been given in many games this year cancels out a guy throwing the ball MULTIPLE times.

Pls go.
So now its gone from 1 missed throw to multiple throws. Given that is the level of discussion I'm going to get perhaps its best I do go.

I thought the umpiring was consistently bad for both teams. It's obvious that players no longer have to dispose of the ball correctly when getting tackled. Don't think Essendon can blame the umpires for the loss, as both sets of supporters can pull out a lot of decisions which went against them.. eg.
1st goal for Essendon - Stanton picks up the ball, back to goal, wheels around towards goal, steadies and then gets tackled (missing the ball with his foot)...PLAY ON... AnotherEssendon player picks up the ball and goals..
IIRC 3rd Qtr - Browne infringes in the ruck on your forward flank. All players stop. Essendon player with ball in hand turns, looks at umpire, keeps running and slots a goal from 50....

No one team gets the rub of the green from the umpires... You just have to make the most of your opportunities when the umps give you a favourable decision...

Hmm, where did I claim he only threw it once?

Sorry, I forgot. Martin is infallible and makes Jesus look like Satan.
The complaints were about Martins missed throw, now you posted MULTIPLE throws.

BTW thanks for the Dustin Martin fact. :D

was anyone else bamboozled by the field umpire overriding the goal umpires decision when hille kicked it through from the goal line? regardless whether it was touched or not, a field ump 20 metres from the goal line shouldnt even get a say in the matter. Its one persons opinion vs anothers and for some reason the person further from the contest has the final say....

What about the huge shove in the back by Ryder directly before that Martin throw? Choosing to ignore that?
Or the holding the ball on Cotchin when no-one looked like tackling him?

was anyone else bamboozled by the field umpire overriding the goal umpires decision when hille kicked it through from the goal line? regardless whether it was touched or not, a field ump 20 metres from the goal line shouldnt even get a say in the matter. Its one persons opinion vs anothers and for some reason the person further from the contest has the final say....

My understanding was that the goal umpire was not sure whether it was touched or not, hence called in the field umpire. If that is the case, the rule is to award the lower score, hence a point. -correct decision-

I thought the umpiring last night was absolutely terrible, it seemed every bad decision either ended in a Richmond goal or stopped us from getting one.

Something needs to be done about the advantage rule I can remember 2 occasions where Essendon was paid a free kick and played on yet the ball was brought back even though it seemed to be continuous. Then Bellchambers was paid a free kick and everyone stopped except the bloke with the footy yet he was allowed to play on and resulted in a goal to us.

In saying all this I believe we simply didn't play well enough to deserve the win, yes the umpires were terrible but so were we. Positives for me are we played that bad, looked tired, had bad decisions against us and have a long injury list yet were only beaten by 16pts.

See you in 6 weeks Richmond and next time you won't be that lucky.

perhaps words getting out as the umpires have been calling incorrect disposals well in the Pies/Crows game so far

this shit's got to be sorted one way or another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back