Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't have this on the 2024 bingo card:

Maybe with the 150-year change, some marketing types got itchy fingers....

"After considerable consultation with members and stakeholders we are in the final stages of a refresh to our logo,"
Has anyone actually been consulted about this? I knew nothing about this until the article, are there super secret special member tiers that I don't know about?
full

"After considerable consultation with members and stakeholders we are in the final stages of a refresh to our logo,"
Has anyone actually been consulted about this? I knew nothing about this until the article, are there super secret special member tiers that I don't know about?
full

Maybe they had considerable consultation with Tim

full
There are.

But I'm not allowed to talk about it with you!

It's all very secret squirrel......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need a New Orleans style brass marching band at the beginning of every game!

You read my mind exactly, then when we make the granny we can do a Blues rendition on a loss, and on a win everyone can join in the Gopsel version before we party to the jazz version until trumpets blow no more as drinking funnels.

My relationship with the club song has changed. Up until fairly recently, I found it to be one of the worst in the league; short, boring, repetitive - not very inspiring at all.

Lately though I have realised it is the perfect club song for players to sing at the end of a win; short, undemanding, upbeat, aggressive. Compare that to other club songs which are in contrast full songs. What could be more awkward after an energy busting win than standing arm in arm with a bunch of other blokes singing kareoke: no wonder most players treat it like a joke. Especially the ones with proper melodies and lyrics. Remember having to sing your school's song or the national anthem? Bloody hell, what a come down. Such a weirdidea even you actually stop and think about it.

Two short verses, a Woo Hoo at the end then head to the showers, that's how it's done.

It's quite a versatile little tune too, can be done in a variety of genres and moods - joyous, broody, bluesy, whatever is required. I love the idea of a N.O. Jazz band in the stands busting it out, I had the idea to record a version that starts as an ultra slow bues then with each repetition of the verse, it gathers momentum and feeling until it finishes as a full blown warsong. One of the recents Saints Media things that impressed me was the tight little military drum intro that ended each of Brett Ratten's member messages. No matter how vague and vapid his words were, the drums at the end stirred me into believing we could smash them.

My feeling about the crest is different. I have never liked the black or white crucifix, it's like a little tombstone and especially on the players' jumpers, it seemed a bad omen. I get the tradition angle and as a logo it's probably one of the best in the AFL, but I like the tricolour theme way more. That mock up a few posts up was alright, although not the finished product

I had a mate who was very keen to do this every game with his band....

Geelong were the ones that ended up giving his band the gig.
That's really odd - you would have bet London to a brick that Geelong would have gone with a hay-chewing old bloke playing a banjo......

My feeling about the crest is different. I have never liked the black or white crucifix, it's like a little tombstone and especially on the players' jumpers, it seemed a bad omen. I get the tradition angle and as a logo it's probably one of the best in the AFL, but I like the tricolour theme way more. That mock up a few posts up was alright, although not the finished product
Exactly why I love the candy stripe version out of all the others.
Should be our permanent home jumper as it is just a tweak on the original home jumper, which is best in the league (no bias of course.)

Exactly why I love the candy stripe version out of all the others.
Should be our permanent home jumper as it is just a tweak on the original home jumper, which is best in the league (no bias of course.)

My favourite was the old crusader or just a the classic tri-pane. I liked the yellow Pura so probably not a great judge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Back