Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Logos serve a very different purpose than they did even 15 or so years ago, they need something that can be reduced to size of a tiny avatar in a corner of a phone screen and still look good.

As for the fallacy that the only the Saints could f*** up a club logo, just have a look at Essendon, or any of the Gold coast Suns efforts to date. Even the great Manchester United try to copy Liverpool's simplification of their logo with hilarious results.

I'm pessimistic, too. But in the end, if it doesn't work, we can always change it back again.

Our logo has a long and more meaningful history than any other club. We have ruined our logo on our jumper so I hope we don’t do the same here.
I can tolerate a slight modernisation of our current logo but any move away from it will be met with a hell of a lot of resistance.
I just hope they haven’t jumped the shark here.

I’m really worried this is going to blow up in the clubs face if they’ve moved too far from the original crest.

That is the worry.

Sometimes looking “back to the future” is the best approach when changing symbols that inspire devotion and emotion.

In 2015 the Bulldogs reverted to their pre-1975 guernsey which was junked with the introduction of colour TV. In 2016 they won a Flag in it which was wonderful. I think this jumper is beautiful and their people love it.

Hawks in recent years have also reverted to a more traditional strip which was changed in 1975.

I never understood why Saints changed their crest after 1996. People loved and identified with it. I’m one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the promo, it would appear that it is purely a refresher of the crest. Not a stick man or angel, etc.

I think it will be pretty minor and quite contemporary, which I'm all for.

I’m happy enough with a refresh, but if it’s just that then you think a launch of it would be a little over the top.
I’m genuinely worried.

I doubt the club is pre-announcing a release date, organising an event, offering passes as a "prize" etc. if it's just thickening an outline and having a bolder font.

This is gonna be a whole new look, and I'm trying to keep an open mind..... but there's a pretty high chance some marketing guru who's never seen a Saints game in their life is gonna stuff this up.

I doubt the club is pre-announcing a release date, organising an event, offering passes as a "prize" etc. if it's just thickening an outline and having a bolder font.

This is gonna be a whole new look, and I'm trying to keep an open mind..... but there's a pretty high chance some marketing guru who's never seen a Saints game in their life is gonna stuff this up.
By god I hope it doesn't have "saints" written across it diagonally, as if it was quickly graffiti'd onto the logo.

Yep

Some concept meeting would start with “Saint Kilda” on some AI slop image

Just as long as we keep it historically appropriate that’s all i need

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Back