Preview The Swans Redemption Arc Goes On - Sydney vs Port Adelaide - Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Given we play Friday means Tuesday is hump day which means itā€™s time for the big questions, even though you didnā€™t ask.

1. Who does Jordon put the tag on this week out of Butters/Rozee/JHF ?

2. What role will Jmac play ?

3. How sore is JHF and how do we exploit it ?

4. Will we finally wear boots that stop us slipping over ?

5. Will Ginnivan show his face at the SCG ?

6. Who will come in for Mills ?

7. Which of our 3 talls will clunk and convert ?

8. Who leads at quarter time ?

9. Will we draw Gianfagna ?

10. Who will melt the hardest in the match day thread ?

JHWF - all questions and no answers (for once in his life)

Given we play Friday means Tuesday is hump day which means itā€™s time for the big questions, even though you didnā€™t ask.

1. Butters out of those.

2. None

3. Sore but just treat him like a threat.

4. Lol no.

5. Lol no.

6. Sir Robert Fox the Quick

7. Joel didn't play last time, so him I guess. Alternative answer: Lol no.

8. Port

9. Yes.

10. Toss up between myself and Kiama Chris . Honestly the guy scares me with his violent outbursts and personal attacks.

Post may contain overt sarcasm.

Anyone else a little worried if we are to start slow and port get confidence a little demons or doubts will pop in that we canā€™t beat these guys
A little. But also I think if they don't put us away early they will be nervous about us running over the top of them eventually, because we probably will.

We lost 2 games by more than a kick all year. We aren't suddenly changing our structure or team setup. Forget about forward pressure or worrying about the clearance count.

Our formula is simple. A couple of clangers at the back, but otherwise solid with Blakey playing an intercept role and getting us started with a bit of run. Grundy hoping to break even early, but working his way to advantage and giving us first use as his opponent tires in the second half, the talls keeping their opponents occupied, forcing contests but mainly creating space for Hayward, Paps and whoever else rotates forward.

But most importantly, our aim is to have 4 of the best 6 players on the park with Heeney, Chad, Errol and Blakey. If our 4 AA's get close to off the chain, our ceiling is higher than any team left.

Yes, we need others to step up the way Parker, Florent, Campbell and Lloyd have in recent weeks. We will get a few of those performances, just not sure from who. We also need the usual solid if unspectacular performances from Rowy, Melican, Jordon and McClean. I would bet on that.

But in order for the above to happen, the players need to play within the same structure they have all year. There's no point complaining about what we're missing or proposing unforced personnel changes with 2 weeks left in the season.

It's an enviable position to be in. We don't have to worry about how to beat our opposition. They have to worry about how to stop us.

If we play our best footy, we win, and you can't ask for more than that.

Last edited:
1. Butters out of those.

2. None

3. Sore but just treat him like a threat.

4. Lol no.

5. Lol no.

6. Sir Robert Fox the Quick

7. Joel didn't play last time, so him I guess. Alternative answer: Lol no.

8. Port

9. Yes.

10. Toss up between myself and Kiama Chris . Honestly the guy scares me with his violent outbursts and personal attacks.

Post may contain overt sarcasm.

1. Think we tag Burgoyne but if itā€™s a mid Rozee for mine, Rowy to go to Butters.
2. Wing where heā€™s A grade
3. Every bloke is ā€œsoreā€ at this time itā€™s a non story. The most important head to head match we have to get right.
4. They should but they wonā€™t
5. Might be a stopover before Bali lol
6. Fox to play back easy like for like
7. Logan to take 3 contested marks and kick 2 goals
8. Sydney lead by 11 points
9. Whoever is worse we will get Niccolls for the quinella baldy just finds a way to drive me insane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Rozee. But Horse might surprise and send JJ to say gā€™day to Drew.

2. Wing.

3. Heā€™s fine. Just had a bit of a sook last week.

4. No. We put more effort into moon boots than footy boots.

5. No. Heā€™ll be too busy sending tweets from his mumā€™s basement.

6. Sheldrick. Or maybe Adams.

7. Rampe. Heā€™s our in-form tall goal kicker ā€¦. Is he considered a tall?

8. Depends on the answer to 9.

9. This is the most critical matter to be addressed. The umpiring announcement is worth 3 goals either way. The AFL will be desperate to get Gianfagna and Stevic in ā€œformā€, in case Geelong make the GF. So my answer is yes.

10. caesar88, but Dubai Quacker
and Punts will fill the podium positions

9. Will we draw Gianfagna?

1. Rozee

2. Won't play or sub.

3. Think his so-called cramp was worse than they claim. We'll probably try to put a fast player on him or something.

4. Nah.

5. God I hope so.

6. Fox.

7. McLean.

8. Port.

9. Possibly.

10. Dunno about the game day thread but in real life I guarantee I'm the biggest sook.

Why the spacing , be quick f f s

Starts on the pine.

Last week Grundy played 80%
Leaves 20% for McLean in the ruck

McLeans ToG% was 65 so he spent 45% in the forward line.
With Amartey playing 76% and McDonald 80% the 3 of them are rarely all together.

If you look at season averages.
Grundy is at 77.2%
McLean is at 76.7%

Puts McLean at 53.9% in the forward line.
Amartey is at 69.1% and McDonald 85.4%

So essentially if you napkin math it, 30.9% of McLeans 53.9% in the forward line is replacing Amartey.
14.6% is when McDonald isn't there, leaving 8.4% of the time they're all up forward.

It's not exactly how it works out every game as McDonald has played defense etc, but it's not far off given the amount of games they have lined up this season.

I watched the first quarter of the QF to check whether my recollection of JMac being proppy was accurate or if I was just imagining it, but he was definitely keeping weight off his left leg with any lateral movement.

If anyone wants to have a look for themselves, there were a couple passages of play in particular that were telling. You see he does a little hop/skip when he has to move laterally or change direction to avoid putting any weight through his left leg.

24.30 mark - there are two parts where he needs to move laterally to defend his opponent
27.10 mark - there's footage from behind the goals where he needed to pivot and change directions, and he only skips on his left and bears weight on his right. His movement was very limited.

Big question marks over Juzzy for me. It certainly wasn't just rust. I'm not sure whether 2 weeks is enough to recover. And if that's the case, he'd be a liability because all his opponent needs to do is feign right and go left and JMac wont be able to put the weight through his left leg to cut them off. And he'd be caught in no man's land if needing to defend a chaos ball pinging around in different directions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview The Swans Redemption Arc Goes On - Sydney vs Port Adelaide - Preliminary Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back