The Team v North

Remove this Banner Ad

OK maybe I've misunderstood what you were saying. Just curious as to why you said you wouldn't pick Quinn in a final but would pick him this week. That made me think that you thought he's not in our best 22 this week. I thought you were saying he should be in for development alone. Let's say it's a final and all things are the same including availabilities. Who would you pick instead?

The reason i said i would not pick him if tommorrows game was a final is simple. Anyone who has played any sport at any level knows that finals of any nature simply have more pressure.
Thats where your selection your selection policy dictates how brave you want to be.

I am not sure who i would pick if tommorows game was a final and we had the same personal issues as we currently have. The only one i would consider is NLM based on his good VFL form and his 70 odd game experience.
If we had Hurley available i might go with Daniher at Half back.
If we had Welsh and McVeigh at full fitness then you start looking at maybe playing one of those two off half back. Even Hocking is a possablitiy somewhere in defence although he is not going to fill the fast breaking role out of defence.

At this stage with the current players available i think the contenders for half back are Quinn, Myers , Houli and NLM (outside Dempsey). In a normal season game i lean towards Quinn. If it was a final i would probaly go NLM based soley on the fact that the pressure steps up 30 to 40% when you play finals and at this very moment Quinn is very inexperienced.

I will say that i find it interesting that a number of people are dead set against taking what i see as a minor risk with Quinn. Some of the best results in footy have come from coaches who have taken a risk or gone with a certain thought that no one else has entertained.
Lets face it. We are not exactly filling the whole side with Quinn's. We do have a couple of very experienced players coming back into the side.

Fletch, NLM, Nash(though I hate to say it), Demspey, Winderlich, Stanton can all run and carry off half back. Houli has already played that role and has had a number of good games through there. Why do we give up on him so quickly yet we cut Quinn a lot more slack?

Fletch yes to some degree but he does not actually have break away pace. NLM yes. Nash no.Nash does not have the same pace and is not a break the lines player.
I watched Houli play half back the last two weeks in the VFL and he has no idea how to fill the role. He has the attacking part down pat but simply has no idea about working back to postion and often whe he should be taking the game players on like Quinn did in his first game Houli does U turns of handballs to players standing still.

Stanton is not reall suited to running off half back. He is suited to playing wing and pushing up and down into space rather than breaking through the line.

kelvin_sheedy said:
You don't need a 1001 half back flankers when you can rotate a few mids in there.

Your missing the point. It is about having leg speed off half back to break the zone. Nothing to do with traditional half backs.

kelvin_sheedy said:
Welsh for me can't play that role. His disposal and pace is a worry and it's one of the reasons why he was a little maligned a few years ago by some, myself included. For me he resurrected his career going mid/tag/forward.

I can cop the Welsh one. I think you are comparing different roles to what Welsh used to do and i do not think Welsh is as slow as poeple think.
He is probably more value as a defensive forward who can kick a couple of goals most weeks.

In Quinns case i think his development rests on playing some senior footy as well. He needs a few games in high pressure situations that the VFL won't give him.

Don't understand this. The guy has played a few games of competitive football in his life. Surely he needs to prove he can execute the skills required under VFL conditions week in/week out first before even worrying about AFL.

Having said that I admit I was against his selection v Freo but to his credit he did better than I expected. Much better. And his clangers were no worse than some other players e.g Dyson and McPhee missing two easy marks.

But there was not that much pressure in that game and I think someone like NLM or even Nash would have had just as good a game.

In big games like today and next week I would definitely prefer NLM before Quinn. I reckon even Zaharakis could do a better job off half back.

Well he's the most inexperienced player at the club you'd have to say, what better way to enhance his skills than give him a game? I mean, i dont think he's a better player than Houli as of yet, he's still learning the game.

And i'd agree to a point that him being rewarded for his endeavour is a part of it, but not the all of it

So why is Still not playing?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Team v North

Remove this Banner Ad

Back