Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I edited my post because after reading it, I thought it came across as a smart ass reply!:p
Fwiw I think you need another tall forward, and Grimley would fit well
A forward line of Henderson, Casboult, Grimley and Waite as marking options, with Menzel and a resting Judd or an in form Garlett would be dangerous

All good mate, more of a "harsh but true" reply really. :D
It has been a dubious distinction that not many clubs can lay claim to, I'm sure: Seniors, reserves and U/19s all losing by 100+. :oops:

Have a q re rumours like ms3's Carl/stl/gws.

Is this something that the teams are talking about by now or more 'this is what our guys think might get it done'?

Teams would have an idea of who is on the trade table, but are they starting to do deals before season end?

First year at the club he was on $400K to sit on the injured list.

That's true. We had to beat off other suitors (eww...) for his services and therefore he has always been on a very generous salary. At the time it was proclaimed that he would be a 10-year player for the club, so spending the first year injured was considered no big deal.
We've received very little return for what has been invested in him.

Pretty tasteless to piss on Ratten's grave and make stupid comparisons to corporate sabotage. [Ordinary] post like all the trade and draft experts who come out of the woodwork. We know better like those who said we needed Jordan Murdoch and should sack Barker.

Even Mick, Parkin, Roos, etc. have made bad trades and bad decisions as premiership coaches. We cheated the salary cap on Parkin's watch. Cost us more than trading for Mclean, Laidler and Warnock. Latter wasn't chased by Carlton alone.

Even Mick recruited Wood and Krakouer by trading picks 14 and 25.

How would Taylor and Darling go at Collingwood?

There was always going to be a contracts overlap with Ratts contracted for 2013. They want their players who fit their game plan.

Ratts didn't break Kreuzer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty tasteless to piss on Ratten's grave and make stupid comparisons to corporate sabotage. Campaigner post like all the trade and draft experts who come out of the woodwork. We know better like those who said we needed Jordan Murdoch and should sack Barker.

Even Mick, Parkin, Roos, etc. have made bad trades and bad decisions as premiership coaches. We cheated the salary cap on Parkin's watch. Cost us more than trading for Mclean, Laidler and Warnock. Latter wasn't chased by Carlton alone.

Even Mick recruited Wood and Krakouer by trading picks 14 and 25.

How would Taylor and Darling go at Collingwood?

There was always going to be a contracts overlap with Ratts contracted for 2013. They want their players who fit their game plan.

Ratts didn't break Kreuzer.
Rats might not have broken Kruezar but he tried his hardest to break Bryce Gibbs

Rats might not have broken Kruezar but he tried his hardest to break Bryce Gibbs

No he didn't. Gibbs filled a need elsewhere and when he was in the midfield at times, wasn't making a great fist of it. He wasn't buying in with 100% application IMO.

I tell you what, the longer this goes, the further down the ladder we go, the bigger loser Ratten seems to become in some eyes. He broke Gibbs .... if we had Gibbs for the semi in 2011, we might have been playing a prelim.

That's true. We had to beat off other suitors (eww...) for his services and therefore he has always been on a very generous salary. At the time it was proclaimed that he would be a 10-year player for the club, so spending the first year injured was considered no big deal.
We've received very little return for what has been invested in him.

We got more out of him in that first year than we have since.

No he didn't. Gibbs filled a need elsewhere and when he was in the midfield at times, wasn't making a great fist of it. He wasn't buying in with 100% application IMO.

I tell you what, the longer this goes, the further down the ladder we go, the bigger loser Ratten seems to become in some eyes. He broke Gibbs .... if we had Gibbs for the semi in 2011, we might have been playing a prelim.

I don't really buy this though.

Gibb's should have been played in the midfield from the get go and left there. Frankly I just think Ratten saw Gibb's as been a bit soft and he'd rather waste picks on Mclean then simply play Gibb's next to Judd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he didn't give Gibbs enough chances in the middle, nor did he want him as a midfielder. Gibbs in his first few years was great in the backline, played some good defensive and attacking roles, and was damaging when he got his hands on it lots. Was a huge loss in the 2011 finals but I like others think he simply didn't have the patience with Gibbs. Mick has had to give him a season and a bit to make a real fist of it.

Garlett is gone regardless, and to get quality you need to give something up. Again I say it's a win win for all involved. Our list management has pinpointed that we will be too top heavy with Kreuzer and Casbolt in the same side.
So we are looking at playing Kreuzer as the third tall in our forward line then? With Wood or Warnock as our #1 ruckman?

Gibbs has also matured alot more this year. Playing with confidence and authority unlike years before.

Yep, he's played what 170 games? But I would wager only 60 or so largely as a mid. I suggested he was about to start delivering about 3 months ago and I think I was right.

By the end of next year will be comfortably top 10-15 in the league.

In hindsight, sending him to the oppositions best mid week in week out May have accelerated his development.

Here's another prediction Kruezer will peak the year after and for a year or two be top 3 rucks.

Gibbs has also matured alot more this year. Playing with confidence and authority unlike years before.

This is it. His tackling is more ferocious. He doesn't corral as much as he used to, rather he closes down space where there is an opportunity and tries to turn the ball over. He takes the game on more. It is purely a matter of him realising what is required for the team to go anywhere and applying himself every week.

This is it. His tackling is more ferocious. He doesn't corral as much as he used to, rather he closes down space where there is an opportunity and tries to turn the ball over. He takes the game on more. It is purely a matter of him realising what is required for the team to go anywhere and applying himself every week.

and realising he is a senior player and that he is capable of a hell of lot.

That was always my number one criticism of Gibbs. He just seemed to do enough without exerting himself. I've been proven very wrong this season and I couldnt be happier.

That was always my number one criticism of Gibbs. He just seemed to do enough without exerting himself. I've been proven very wrong this season and I couldnt be happier.

I think he exerted himself a lot but not quite as much when getting the ball wasn't going to be the reward. Now he does block, he does shepherd, he does have an all round game. He will still get similar stats to before and so this change is not measurable on the stats sheet, but everything is done with a greater focus and intensity and rather than be content to win his contest and dish the ball off, he seems to accept he is a leader in this team and he is the one making things happen, and making the opposition worry about him. Almost a Dangerfield type taking on of the game. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

I think he exerted himself a lot but not quite as much when getting the ball wasn't going to be the reward. Now he does block, he does shepherd, he does have an all round game. He will still get similar stats to before and so this change is not measurable on the stats sheet, but everything is done with a greater focus and intensity and rather than be content to win his contest and dish the ball off, he seems to accept he is a leader in this team and he is the one making things happen, and making the opposition worry about him. Almost a Dangerfield type taking on of the game. 'Tis a thing of beauty.

As much as I didnt want Malthouse and would have preferred Ratten at the time, I will say Ive noticed an across the board improvement in this respect. There's a lot more intent from our list, aside from the hiccup at the start of the season.

I wont speak about the player/coach dynamics under Ratten because I was never in the rooms, but Malthouse really does seem to be able to get more out of most players. I could list the big improvers under Malthouse, but we all know who they are and its probably outside the scope of this thread. Couple of players he couldnt get through to (Garlett and Laidler spring to mind) but on the whole Malthouse has been a very good get for us.

As much as I didnt want Malthouse and would have preferred Ratten at the time, I will say Ive noticed an across the board improvement in this respect. There's a lot more intent from our list, aside from the hiccup at the start of the season.

I wont speak about the player/coach dynamics under Ratten because I was never in the rooms, but Malthouse really does seem to be able to get more out of most players. I could list the big improvers under Malthouse, but we all know who they are and its probably outside the scope of this thread. Couple of players he couldnt get through to (Garlett and Laidler spring to mind) but on the whole Malthouse has been a very good get for us.
Invinci, the Jeffy we are seeing now isn't because Mick has lost him.
Laidler yes they had a difference of opinion. But Jeffy would've had these issues under any coach.

Invinci, the Jeffy we are seeing now isn't because Mick has lost him.
Laidler yes they had a difference of opinion. But Jeffy would've had these issues under any coach.

I understand that point of view, and my post wasnt a slight on either of them. Im just saying that Malthouse cant reach all the players all the time, mitigating factors being what they are. Whatever he's going through I hope he comes out on top. Whether thats with us, or another club. I'd prefer to keep him, but most are saying that in his mind he's already packed his bags.

I'm not going to harbour any ill will towards him like I did with Camporeale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back