Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'd love the sound of Higgins.

He wouldn't cost anything. Just salary cap space provided by the departure of Garlett alone.

Would be an upgrade on Ellard for start, and can play either ends of the field and rotate through the midfield.
Afl website has Norf & Geelong leading the way for Higgins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would much rather avoid injury prone players who will be commanding more than their genuine worth on the open market and save up a war chest for next years free agency.

Even with the circle?

If it's so risky putting good players in center ruck contests why did we spend a number 1 draft pick on a player that's main job is to Ruck?

Is taking 3 or so steps into a ruck contest really that much more dangerous than having to throw yourself at the ball every time it comes into the forward line?

I think the whole Ruck = Injuries is a bit of a thing of the past
We spent our number pick on a ruckman, I am suggesting that we do not use top line Key Position Forwards in this role and it was only a comment I made in response to another posters best team for next year rumour.

The opportunity for knee on knee clash at a centre ruck contest is far greater then throwing yourself around at the ball and doing forward line throw in or bounce down duties when they tend to start side by side and engage in body contact.

I was happy to see Spalding and not Kernahan give Justin Madden a rest at times and in our current team much prefer to give that role to Casboult instead of Henderson or Waite as these players are just not built for the punishment.

I am trying to think of the last time players such as Franklin or Roughead were used in this role ahead of Hale or when Tredrea was preferred over Lade, Kennedy over Nic Nat or Darling, Cloke over Jessie White or Dawes or Leigh Brown when they were still there, North used Longmire and Fridge Roberts as back ups before Carey and McKernan most of the time.

If we got a young Tom Boyd across to us, I want him to be a 10 year player and never venture to a centre bounce contest unless we are in a tight final and have exhausted all other options.

:thumbsu:

We spent our number pick on a ruckman, I am suggesting that we do not use top line Key Position Forwards in this role and it was only a comment I made in response to another posters best team for next year rumour.

The opportunity for knee on knee clash at a centre ruck contest is far greater then throwing yourself around at the ball and doing forward line throw in or bounce down duties when they tend to start side by side and engage in body contact.

I was happy to see Spalding and not Kernahan give Justin Madden a rest at times and in our current team much prefer to give that role to Casboult instead of Henderson or Waite as these players are just not built for the punishment.

I am trying to think of the last time players such as Franklin or Roughead were used in this role ahead of Hale or when Tredrea was preferred over Lade, Kennedy over Nic Nat or Darling, Cloke over Jessie White or Dawes or Leigh Brown when they were still there, North used Longmire and Fridge Roberts as back ups before Carey and McKernan most of the time.

If we got a young Tom Boyd across to us, I want him to be a 10 year player and never venture to a centre bounce contest unless we are in a tight final and have exhausted all other options.

:thumbsu:

Still not sure why kreuzer would be more expendable than Boyd? They are pretty much the same size.

Hawkins, tippet and roughead have all had a spell in the ruck in the last 2 years.

How many knee on knee injuries have rucks had since they introduced the circle?

Still not sure why kreuzer would be more expendable than Boyd? They are pretty much the same size.

Hawkins, tippet and roughead have all had a spell in the ruck in the last 2 years.

How many knee on knee injuries have rucks had since they introduced the circle?
Not sure about the amount of knee on knee collisions or injuries but you would have to admit the likelihood would be much greater then not being in centre bounce ruck contests.

Kreuzer was recruited to play as a ruckman and Boyd would be recruited as the Key Forward we have been screaming out for if we can get him across, shouldn't have to tell you which are more easier to replace surely...

Tippet is a ruck/forward type and always has been and dont think Roughy has been in the ruck since the Achilles injury but could be wrong, has been in the centre though and I would not be putting Hawkins in there if I were Geelong but other clubs can please themselves.

Cheers
Friday October 3 - NAB AFL restricted free agency offer and unrestricted free agency period begins

Friday October 3, by 2pm - NAB AFL father/son bidding nominations; Academy bidding nominations lodged with AFL

Monday October 13, at 5pm - Close of NAB AFL restricted free Agency offer and unrestricted free agency period

Thursday October 16 - NAB AFL restricted free agency matching offer three-day period ends

Saturday November 1 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) begins

Wednesday November 12 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes;

Friday November 14 - AFL delisted player free agency period (2) begins

Wednesday November 19 - NAB AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes

Friday November 28 - NAB AFL delisted free agency Period (3) begins

Monday December 1 - AFL delisted player free agency period (3) ends.

We lost Kouta the same way!!!
Knee on Knee
And never saw the best of him.
Although what we did see was Very Good!

I remember kouta doing it against essendon, but I thought it was a marking contest (I'm likely wrong).

Anyway, hope we get Boyd.

My ideal set up would be

FB- Jamo
CHB - Hendo
R- Kreuzer
CHF- Waite levi(chopping out kreuzer)
FF- Boyd

Watson just looks too slow to ever make it (probably should have been discovered at draft camp), would it be worth trying him as a second ruck/forward, might be a little short but it would be nice having his shoe wandering around the middle of the ground.

Watson just looks too slow to ever make it (probably should have been discovered at draft camp), would it be worth trying him as a second ruck/forward, might be a little short but it would be nice having his shoe wandering around the middle of the ground.
Funny you say that.

He actually posted pretty decent times for his sprints.. I'm sure A_M has then up on Matthew Watsons page in the Player Watch board.

If we actually got a look at Watson then I'd say we'd have a superior indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back