Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Beams situation was a little different. Beams had his old man's health as a reason of sorts to head to one of two Queensland sides.
Also, don't forget there was a LOT of talk that Boyd was coming to the club he'd supported all his life at the end of his current contract. He landed at the Dogs only because Griff wanted out.
Beams was also contracted so Collingwood could afford to play hard ball. GWS will not have that luxury.

I think the Beams situation was a little different. Beams had his old man's health as a reason of sorts to head to one of two Queensland sides.
Also, don't forget there was a LOT of talk that Boyd was coming to the club he'd supported all his life at the end of his current contract. He landed at the Dogs only because Griff wanted out.
That beams and his dad thing was used to placate Collingwood supporters. It wasn't as central to his motives as portrayed, his manager even stated so on radio. Said it had to do with the way his mates were treated too.

Treloar or Cameron would be worth a top 5 pick and then some and both will be outright guns in the near future. Highly unlikely we will land one of them but it's nice to dream.
Oh absolutely. I'd personally prefer Treloar and reckon it'd cost a top 5 pick (or our 1st rounder), our 2nd and a best 22 player. Don't know how we'd get that done but a year is a long time away (see Boyd).

Etsy makes a good point with players getting to where they want though. Let's hope Adam wants out, chooses us & us only, and SOS and co somehow get it done.

Kid will be a star, if he isn't already. Could see him holding up Charlie one day.

Oh absolutely. I'd personally prefer Treloar and reckon it'd cost a top 5 pick (or our 1st rounder), our 2nd and a best 22 player. Don't know how we'd get that done but a year is a long time away (see Boyd).

Etsy makes a good point with players getting to where they want though. Let's hope Adam wants out, chooses us & us only, and SOS and co somehow get it done.

Kid will be a star, if he isn't already. Could see him holding up Charlie one day.
That's Judd/Ablett/Selwood type demand. I don't think it would cost THAT much, particularly if the guy wants to move and is out of contract.

I don't think we will land any of above mention GWS guns unless we give up one of ours. That is unless we end up on the bottom of lady and trade our number 1 and 2 picks. And to be honest, I don't think that will be out MO going forward. We should be looking to recruit our own young guns in the draft and top up with Free agents. Otherwise, we will keep chasing our tails!

Beams was also contracted so Collingwood could afford to play hard ball. GWS will not have that luxury.
True. But we can't discount the fact that GCS admitted early on that they couldn't fit Beams under their salary cap, giving Brisbane the whip hand in the two team state of Queensland. Treloar and Cameron will have nearly every Victorian club clamouring for their services. Their managers could have a field day playing us all off against one another.

That beams and his dad thing was used to placate Collingwood supporters. It wasn't as central to his motives as portrayed, his manager even stated so on radio. Said it had to do with the way his mates were treated too.
The cynic in me would suggest that what player managers say to the media isn't worth a pinch of salt. I would agree that it was more complex than Beams wanting to head north solely for family reasons though. From what I remember, Beams was happy to play at either of the Queensland clubs.

I don't think we will land any of above mention GWS guns unless we give up one of ours. That is unless we end up on the bottom of lady and trade our number 1 and 2 picks. And to be honest, I don't think that will be out MO going forward. We should be looking to recruit our own young guns in the draft and top up with Free agents. Otherwise, we will keep chasing our tails!
:confused:

It'll cost us, for sure. Back when Boyd was a potential to end up at Carlton, a few connected posters here were warning that we would have to give quality to get quality. That will stand with either Cameron or Treloar.

True. But we can't discount the fact that GCS admitted early on that they couldn't fit Beams under their salary cap, giving Brisbane the whip hand in the two team state of Queensland. Treloar and Cameron will have nearly every Victorian club clamouring for their services. Their managers could have a field day playing us all off against one another.
Can't argue with this if the players don't specifically nominate Carlton.....which is why i'd suspect we could land Treloar, whereas Cameron is more of a long shot.

Treloars price would be similar to Beams, though I would suggest if we held the whip hand due to his contract status, then we could probably get away with our first, third and a fringe player.

Can't argue with this if the players don't specifically nominate Carlton.....which is why i'd suspect we could land Treloar, whereas Cameron is more of a long shot.

Treloars price would be similar to Beams, though I would suggest if we held the whip hand due to his contract status, then we could probably get away with our first, third and a fringe player.
That seems a pretty one-sided deal. Hypothetically, if Gibbs wanted to go to Adelaide at the end of his last contract would we be happy with the Crows' first, third and a fringe player? This board would've gone into melt down.
Treloar may be the easier of the two to convince to play for us BUT that doesn't mean he wen't cost a mint to land.

Didn't someone in another thread suggest that yarran signed a shorter contract to hit free agency earlier in order to extract maximum value from his contract and that wa would come knocking.. hard? He could be a piece of the puzzle

That's Judd/Ablett/Selwood type demand. I don't think it would cost THAT much, particularly if the guy wants to move and is out of contract.
Yeah maybe not. I'm just of the thinking he is a fair chance to get to that level & has age on his side. Maybe 1st & 3rd rounder + a player? Even better you're 100% right and we can hold them over a barrel to some extent. Just really hope we get him, somehow.

Players generally hold the cards if uncontracted. Even the contracted players end up where they want to go these days.

Pick 12 or so would be a steal but if Adam wants to go, and get to CFC GWS will deal. It would involve other picks and a fringe player maybe but I think it would get done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think he'd be as expensive as you think.

First Rounder & our 2nd for their third.

Player and destinantion club hold the aces.

I honestly think you guys are underrating the kid, he's shown enough to be considered the next Judd/Ablett/Selwood calibre mid.

Didn't someone in another thread suggest that yarran signed a shorter contract to hit free agency earlier in order to extract maximum value from his contract and that wa would come knocking.. hard? He could be a piece of the puzzle
Sure did. Might be wrong but think it was MS3?? That'd be a disaster in my eyes, love the Yaz. If we start winning I think he'll stay, being a token member of the Malthouse family now & all.

GWS would want a 3rd rounder or fringe player. They have too much talent on their list and wouldnt recruit or want any of those

That seems a pretty one-sided deal. Hypothetically, if Gibbs wanted to go to Adelaide at the end of his last contract would we be happy with the Crows' first, third and a fringe player? This board would've gone into melt down.
Treloar may be the easier of the two to convince to play for us BUT that doesn't mean he wen't cost a mint to land.
I guess it really depends on where we finish on the ladder. If we make finals, it would be our first and our second as the minimum, whereas if we finish bottom 6, then what I said should be enough.

It doesnt matter that our board would be screaming over the loss of Gibbs.....as a free agent we would have only recieved 1 first round pick for him anyway. This is why culture and player retention is becoming so important (which is also why the appointment of SOS could be important for us).

The Beams deal is the template - young AA midfielder, sets a club they want to go to. In this case, with the additional layer of the player being uncontracted, could mean even less than what Brisbane had to give up.

GWS would want a 3rd rounder or fringe player. They have too much talent on their list and wouldnt recruit or want any of those
Cant argue with that - unless the fringe player fills a clear need - e.g. they lose Cameron in a different deal, and therefore want someone like Watson to play in their forward line.

I think as time goes on they will use more and more 3rd rounders - but maybe it would more likely be our second for their third in the deal.

agreed but I think a deal like this is playusible:

Carlton: Treloar & Pick 60
GWS: Picks 12 & 27

Before you all scream that Treloar is worth a top 5 pick, CFC would be giving up its first 2 picks. It's hard to see objectively what else the club could do. Perception of straight shooting is critical.

I guess it really depends on where we finish on the ladder. If we make finals, it would be our first and our second as the minimum, whereas if we finish bottom 6, then what I said should be enough.

It doesnt matter that our board would be screaming over the loss of Gibbs.....as a free agent we would have only recieved 1 first round pick for him anyway. This is why culture and player retention is becoming so important (which is also why the appointment of SOS could be important for us).

The Beams deal is the template - young AA midfielder, sets a club they want to go to. In this case, with the additional layer of the player being uncontracted, could mean even less than what Brisbane had to give up.
Sorry, the Gibbs hypothetical was more if he wanted to be traded not if he was a FA (my bad for not being clearer).

I've argued that the Beams deal is actually NOTHING at all like what Treloar or Cameron may face if they want to get to Carlton. The biggest difference being that Queensland is a two team town, whereas Victoria is home to more than half of the league's teams. The competition for either of these two guys will be huge and as we saw with Boyd, financial security can trump club loyalty.

If Treloar / Cameron was to nominate Carlton then I think the situation would be much more akin to the Griffen / Boyd trade -- and that cost the Dog's dearly.

agreed but I think a deal like this is playusible:

Carlton: Treloar & Pick 60
GWS: Picks 12 & 27

Before you all scream that Treloar is worth a top 5 pick, CFC would be giving up its first 2 picks. It's hard to see objectively what else the club could do. Perception of straight shooting is critical.
Remember MS3 et al saying we may not like what it would cost us to land Boyd earlier in the season? I think we'd face a similar situation with Cameron and Treloar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back