Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the basis for him being highly rated? His draft position which became irrelevant 15 months ago? If we’re having a speculative discussion on the basis of performance not expected improvement then IQ doesn’t rate a mention, yet.
Doesn’t become irrelevant but doesn’t give any guarantee. When you combine it with a good 1st season and promising performances in the AFL when his chance came it leads to a strong expectation that that player will make it in the AFL. He has tracked how you would like a player from that draft pick to progress and on that basis he ramains highly rated.

How do you rate him?

4 - 7 Range that side IMO

I think in order for us to progress one or two of those bench names either needs to get back to their best form, or someone from the next group needs to push through.

That's in addition to a few inside the best 18 needing to rediscover a bit of their 2018 form and those who played well last year holding their level.

Doesn’t become irrelevant but doesn’t give any guarantee. When you combine it with a good 1st season and promising performances in the AFL when his chance came it leads to a strong expectation that that player will make it in the AFL. He has tracked how you would like a player from that draft pick to progress and on that basis he ramains highly rated.

How do you rate him?

It becomes irrelevant from my perspective.

I rate him a fair way back from being AFL relevant based on performance. He’s the type of guy that shouldn’t be best 22 at a contending club until he shows AFL traits against AFL bodies through pre-season matches or starts to dominate at VFL level. At a loser club such as GC, Carlton or Melbourne he’s one that would be a strong chance for early season footy, but at a club like ours, Richmond or WC it’s only injuries that should allow him a look in (as we have this discussion now).

The only cause for the optimism of some supporters that I agree with to date is the high regard he’s held internally just as Murphy was this time last year. I would have at least 4-5 guys ahead of him for the role some hope he will fill and I would consider it a good outcome if he dominates at VFL level in 2020, but those 4-5 guys still hold him out of the 22.

Me sticking around and disagreeing with Dave on a couple of things led to CFC2010 checking out.
I just meant that they have very different personalities and agendas. I like CFC whereas SV really took offence at something I said or did. BF is a strange place.

I rate him a fair way back from being AFL relevant based on performance. He’s the type of guy that shouldn’t be best 22 at a contending club until he shows AFL traits against AFL bodies through pre-season matches or starts to dominate at VFL level. At a loser club such as GC, Carlton or Melbourne he’s one that would be a strong chance for early season footy, but at a club like ours, Richmond or WC it’s only injuries that should allow him a look in (as we have this discussion now).

The only cause for the optimism of some supporters that I agree with to date is the high regard he’s held internally just as Murphy was this time last year. I would have at least 4-5 guys ahead of him for the role some hope he will fill and I would consider it a good outcome if he dominates at VFL level in 2020, but those 4-5 guys still hold him out of the 22.
I am a bit different on him. Thought he showed a few good traits in his 4 AFL games. Strong over the footy, even as a rookie was prepared to run and take the game on and he looks pretty clean. He might not do this but ideally a higher end draft pick who shows a bit year 1 should be looking to be AFL permanent by the end of season 2. If he still has 4-5 players holding him out of the 22 at the end of this season he will have not progressed in 2020 and we will be wondering why we gave him a contract to 2022.

Me sticking around and disagreeing with Dave on a couple of things led to CFC2010 checking out.
Don’t flatter yourself. You’re not the reason he left.

I'd be very interested to know who these 4-5 guys are who you reckon are ahead of him, or are you including Howe, Maynard and Crisp who are locks for the small/medium defensive spots?

I am a bit different on him. Thought he showed a few good traits in his 4 AFL games. Strong over the footy, even as a rookie was prepared to run and take the game on and he looks pretty clean. He might not do this but ideally a higher end draft pick who shows a bit year 1 should be looking to be AFL permanent by the end of season 2. If he still has 4-5 players holding him out of the 22 at the end of this season he will have not progressed in 2020 and we will be wondering why we gave him a contract to 2022.

FWIW, I think he has terrific potential. His clean hands, vision and decision making are very good indeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar has been on light duties for the last 2 sessions now. Perhaps just taking it easy before ramping up in the Marsh series. I'm assuming he won't play this scratch match coming up.
Nope, pretty sure I heard him saying he wasn't gonna play the practice matches.

For very different reasons I’d imagine.
I don’t know to be honest, a lot though left around the same time.
It made me think twice about staying.

I'd be very interested to know who these 4-5 guys are who you reckon are ahead of him, or are you including Howe, Maynard and Crisp who are locks for the small/medium defensive spots?

The group I’m thinking of includes Murphy, Scharenberg, Noble and Mayne in no particular order. I would then have Madgen ahead depending on structure i.e. against a Brisbane or GWS we want Roughead and Madgen to lockdown on talls and Moore to free wheel.

Guys that I have ahead of him in a defensive role, but probably won’t be used ahead of him for varying reasons are Dunn, Adams (if it clicks for Sier or Wills), WHE and I’d even go with Daicos if the club were searching for a new role for him.

Right now IQ sits about level pegging with Appleby, Greenwood, Bianco and Keane as a guy that is a long way back so not worth speculating on, but may get game time if there are injuries or we can strategically give them a game.

I can’t dispute that assessment other than to say that I didn’t quite see it the same way. I felt that when isolated he struggled and he chose very Scharenbergesque options which is fine, but not something that screams this guy warrants being talked about as best 22 in a contending team as a 19yo. By the end of the season he might be moving in that direction, but he’s not there yet. Especially with guys ahead of him.

I’m hesitant to buy in on the bolded because progression is never linear but I would be happy for him to progress in a similar vein to Zac Williams who was year 4 before he established himself.

I can’t dispute that assessment other than to say that I didn’t quite see it the same way. I felt that when isolated he struggled and he chose very Scharenbergesque options which is fine, but not something that screams this guy warrants being talked about as best 22 in a contending team as a 19yo. By the end of the season he might be moving in that direction, but he’s not there yet. Especially with guys ahead of him.

I’m hesitant to buy in on the bolded because progression is never linear but I would be happy for him to progress in a similar vein to Zac Williams who was year 4 before he established himself.
That's a fair call. I think being best 22 during 2020 is a reasonable explanation but as you say its not a disaster if he is not. Just the same a lot of good players, especially small defenders, take the step early and i am hoping he is the goods in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back