Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox needs to be based closer to goal imo, he lacks the precision in his kicking and the vision to be a damaging deliverer of the ball inside 50, so why time and time again we see the big fella taking marks or getting possession 50-60m's out baffles me.

Most of the time he takes possession outside 50 and lobs it long inside 50, puts it on the heads of the likes of WHE and Stepho etc, when ironically he should be the one the ball is being kicked high and long inside 50 to. While I do understand it is important for him at times to push up the ground and be involved in the game, when inside 50's are a bit lean, but I feel his time inside 50 and time roaming up the ground is well out.

I think our most damaging inside 50 setup is Cox and one of Elliot/De Goey/Stephenson as the deepest forwards, with the rest of the forwards up the ground and moving back towards goal with the play.
I like it when Cox gets higher, draws players and leaves space inside 50 for our more dangerous options to use.

I like it when Cox gets higher, draws players and leaves space inside 50 for our more dangerous options to use.

Considering Cox already had damage to one eye when he injured the other one is it possible that the issues with his marking weren't entirely to do with his hands / timing? Has anyone reported on this?

I'm hoping that was the case t6o some degree, as he could be a powerful weapon to have pushing up the ground and clunking marks on the wing as a get out option.

The group I’m thinking of includes Murphy, Scharenberg, Noble and Mayne in no particular order. I would then have Madgen ahead depending on structure i.e. against a Brisbane or GWS we want Roughead and Madgen to lockdown on talls and Moore to free wheel.

Guys that I have ahead of him in a defensive role, but probably won’t be used ahead of him for varying reasons are Dunn, Adams (if it clicks for Sier or Wills), WHE and I’d even go with Daicos if the club were searching for a new role for him.

Right now IQ sits about level pegging with Appleby, Greenwood, Bianco and Keane as a guy that is a long way back so not worth speculating on, but may get game time if there are injuries or we can strategically give them a game.
So Greenwood plays almost every game last year and is on a par with IQ, who was overlooked when available at the end of the season? I think Greenwood is currently ahead of IQ and is part of your 4-5 possibly ahead of him. But they'll all get a chance in the next few weeks to stand out and force their way in. I'm not sure there is a strong incumbent for positions 6-7 in our defence while Langdon is unavailable.

I think the club wants run off half back and brought Noble in for that mid-year. IQ can offer that though.
I think that is Shaz's downfall. He offers us little as an attacking launch pad off half back given his short and deliberate kicking. Mayne similar.

Will the boys be training tomorrow before the scratch match on Thursday? Or just Friday

I would assume and only assume that they'll do a "captain's run" the day before the scratch match, to replicate what they usually do during the season.

The type of session Jonathan Brown will go and visit and publicly call out our lack of intensity.

Pretty easy speculation I would have thought. Quaynor is a highly rated youngster who had a good 1st season, showed a bit at senior level til a stress reaction in his foot put him out for the last part of the season. After a 2nd uninterupted pre season should be ready to make a significant advance on his 1st season. Noble likewise will be ready to step up again but he did get the late season spot Quaynor vacated a few rounds earlier through injury. Noble performed well then but I couldnt call him an incumbent based on that.

For mine they both stand on the edge of the team and are poised in 2020 to make themselves permanent fixtures. I would rate Quaynor the more likely of the two but can go either way. Throw is Murphy, Shaz, Keane , Kelly, Dunn, T Brown and there is plenty of competition for backline spots after Rouchy, Moore, Crisp, Howe and Maynard claim 5 of the 7 spots.

Hasn't he had a very interrupted preseason? Foot stress fracture then hip surgery.

I have only seen IQ live once and that was preseason against Freo at Joondalup last year, but my impression was that he was a bit raw, but seemed to have all the skills to make it. ( baring the unforeseen of course )
I have been involved with and watched a great deal of sports, over my numerous years, and it has always seemed that you can see the ones that are just going to make it. Not that I was one of those people, but I felt that I could recognise those that would. IQ just struck me as one who would make it. I’m not always proven right, but often enough to be reasonably confident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Greenwood plays almost every game last year and is on a par with IQ, who was overlooked when available at the end of the season? I think Greenwood is currently ahead of IQ and is part of your 4-5 possibly ahead of him. But they'll all get a chance in the next few weeks to stand out and force their way in. I'm not sure there is a strong incumbent for positions 6-7 in our defence while Langdon is unavailable.

I think the club wants run off half back and brought Noble in for that mid-year. IQ can offer that though.
I think that is Shaz's downfall. He offers us little as an attacking launch pad off half back given his short and deliberate kicking. Mayne similar.

Greenwood’s that far back in my mind because of his knee. He’s 8-12 weeks from being VFL ready which provides too many opportunities for others to establish themselves. Once he’s match fit the narrative might change.

I think the club would like run off half back, but not at the expense of defending space (which IQ struggled with).

Our midfield is too one paced. We have a plethora of running backs.
Reports are that Treloar has his burst back, while JDG and Elliott both are spending significant time in the middle, both very quick off the mark. Sier is no slouch either. I don’t think we need to sacrifice Crisps spot in a solid defensive unit to gain pace in the guts under the circumstances.

Last edited:
How has Tyler Brown been training? Could we see a debut early in the season at all?

I'm hoping he rips the pre-season apart and demands a spot. Could see him usurping Mayne but by the same token there are 1/2 a dozen others (Murphy, Scharenberg, IQ, Noble, Daicos) I'd like to see given a run on the wing.

Brown also has a bit of flexibility in where he can play IMHO. Was okay in defense in his 1st season, adapted to the midfield role last year, and appears to have the traits for a forward role.

Reports are that Treloar has his burst back, while JDG and Elliott both are spending significant time in the middle, both very quick off the mark. Sier is no slouch either. I don’t think we need to sacrifice Crisps spot in a solid defensive unit to gain pace in the guys under the circumstances.

I can see your point of view, but we looked a much better team when Crisp player in the middle last year. In particular, the Eagles game out in the West. Love Crisp, however can see him being a game changer in the midfield. That’s just my opinion though.

I can see your point of view, but we looked a much better team when Crisp player in the middle last year. In particular, the Eagles game out in the West. Love Crisp, however can see him being a game changer in the midfield. That’s just my opinion though.

But he's already a game saver in defense so the more important issue is who replaces him in that role? Just can't see us sacrificing defensive stability. Especially when we have so few established alternative defensive options available, and so many alternate mid options. And that's compounded by the loss of Aish and the absence of Greenwood. Just doesn't measure up on a cost benefit analysis.

I see the merit in what you’re saying, but for other reasons. I’m largely in the keep him back camp because Crisp is an 8-9/10 in his current role league wide and maybe a 6-7/10 as a mid. To move him up the field and replace him in defence with another 6-7/10 type doesn’t seem like a value add.

The reason I see merit in it is for the occasions where he’s being sat on and we need to get him into the game. It hasn’t been something clubs have done to us but it may happen moving forward so it would be nice to have options up our sleeve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back