Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2 goals per game is too much of an ask for Cox from what we’ve seen. That would make him a 40+ goal forward and I just don’t think he has that in him, and I’m not sure the coaching staff do either.

Yeah, it was just a random but I think he has that 1.5 to 2 a game in him if he can find more consistency.

Yeah, it was just a random but I think he has that 1.5 to 2 a game in him if he can find more consistency.
Coxy was averaging 1.4 goals a game last year on target for a 30 goal season, so yeah, he can hit the lower end of your range. But 2 goals a game? I too reckon that's beyond him, ..60 games, and 5 seasons in the system now, can't see the big fella significantly improving from here.

2 goals per game is too much of an ask for Cox from what we’ve seen. That would make him a 40+ goal forward and I just don’t think he has that in him, and I’m not sure the coaching staff do either.
The guy gets some unfair treatment from the umpires some times, 2 goals a game is minimum from a guy like Cox. With some luck it should be a no brainer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coxy was averaging 1.4 goals a game last year on target for a 30 goal season, so yeah, he can hit the lower end of your range. But 2 goals a game? I too reckon that's beyond him, ..60 games, and 5 seasons in the system now, can't see the big fella significantly improving from here.

I'm happy to disagree. He's generally got a good conversation rate (65-70% of those that score). His biggest issue is trying to just carry the line and falling short and I think that's easily overcome. Managed 1.6 in his debut season and the jump from 1.5 to 2 is 11 goals a year. I think he can find those.

The guy gets some unfair treatment from the umpires some times, 2 goals a game is minimum from a guy like Cox. With some luck it should be a no brainer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The only way he'll average 2 goals a game is the guys around him have got to protect him and give him a run at the ball.

Will help greatly if the other forwards are in good form and worrying the opposition.

Basically, we've got to be running hot all year.

Depends upon how long term you're projecting but if he gets a spot round 1 and can hit somewhere around 2 goals and keep that as an average, along with 5+ contested marks, I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon barring injury. But the same applies to Reid and Cameron at this stage. The seasons of all 3 could well be decided by round 1 selections if whoever gets that spot takes their chance, can maintain some form, and is durable.
Sorry, to clarify, I was just referring to the fact he is 29 this year, so by long term, I was talking a couple years down the line. But I do think he is the preferred option if fit this year.

I dunno. I feel we are most damaging when we keep mixing up that deep forward and keeping the opposition defence guessing. Leaving that player one out and it normally results in a score for us, whether it's De goey, Stephenson, Elliott or even Cox.

Whilst i agree Cox doesn't deliver the ball well going inside 50 i think at times having him up the ground is valuable as a get out of jail down the line kick when our defence is under pressure.

I think if we left Cox in the forward line at all times we tend to just kick it to him all the time and become to predictable.
Well said.
I think changing up our deepest forward is the most optimal strategy. If an opposition defence lacks pace.. isolate Stevo deep
If they are weaker in the air isolate Elliot/De Goey
Also depends who is hot on the day. Isolate the one high on confidence

Cox might be the one in trouble if Reid can stay fit.

Good thing for Cox then that Reid hasn't stayed fit for 6 years and at 30 it'll be harder now than ever.

I don't know why Reid is even being talked up, he'll play a game or two then do his calf again and be out till round 18 and need a month in the VFL...

I dunno. I feel we are most damaging when we keep mixing up that deep forward and keeping the opposition defence guessing. Leaving that player one out and it normally results in a score for us, whether it's De goey, Stephenson, Elliott or even Cox.

Whilst i agree Cox doesn't deliver the ball well going inside 50 i think at times having him up the ground is valuable as a get out of jail down the line kick when our defence is under pressure.

I think if we left Cox in the forward line at all times we tend to just kick it to him all the time and become to predictable.

Problem at times with Cox when he gets the Ball up the Ground he has a Look Afterwards like he does not know what to do

Usually when they havd a higher AFL pedigree to start with. Dunn, Roughead and even Leigh Brown had played a lot of footy to decent standard before arriving here. Cameron hasn't done that.

So at Moment Cameron is pretty low on the Depth Chart Then

With Thursdays scratch match being a closed session, I hope we still receive a report from the club on how the players went. Fingers crossed no injuries

We might get stuff from the Geelong Media Team but I doubt we see or hear much from our Media Team

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well said.
I think changing up our deepest forward is the most optimal strategy. If an opposition defence lacks pace.. isolate Stevo deep
If they are weaker in the air isolate Elliot/De Goey
Also depends who is hot on the day. Isolate the one high on confidence
I like that set-up but Stevo is also strong in the air.

and what precisely are the chances of Reid staying fit? Yes, Reid was a genuine A grader in his heyday. Yup he has played ok the last 2 years when he has had the chance, and if given a bit of continuity he may well prove better than Coxy. But let's be realistic here, he has managed 55 games in 6 years!!

History suggests not very often. Even so, if Reid stays fit, he'll challenge Cox.

Good thing for Cox then that Reid hasn't stayed fit for 6 years and at 30 it'll be harder now than ever.

I don't know why Reid is even being talked up, he'll play a game or two then do his calf again and be out till round 18 and need a month in the VFL...

I'm not talking Reid up. I just reckon he'll challenge Cox's spot in the team if he's fit.

History suggests not very often. Even so, if Reid stays fit, he'll challenge Cox.

After a long season you cannot trust Reids body to make it through the finals without pinging something and leaving us a man down. Reid is depth and nothing more.

How many times has he failed to finish a game due to soft tissue injuries now? At 30 the problem is going to get worse, not better.

Problem at times with Cox when he gets the Ball up the Ground he has a Look Afterwards like he does not know what to do

Yes but Grundy has been similar in the past. He has improved in recent years, but he still has a way to go.

We really should be better at providing Cox and Grundy with handball options to get the ball in the hand of the better users.

Went to training this morning..

Only players not in attendance was: Beams, Langdon. Thomas. Broomhead made an appearance in a casual t-shirt and pies shorts. He always looks like he just rolled out of bed lol But I imagine he had been doing something indoors.

Varcoe did laps. Greenwood and Appleby also. Roughy, Cal Brown, Treloar did light work. Treloar went inside while Cal Brown and Roughy joined in on the drills after the match sim. My friend asked Roughy if everything was alright, he replied with "Yup, just taking a lighter session."

After warm up was done, match sim was in progress. Just without umpires. Roughy, Cal Brown, Treloar didn't participate. Was between the whites and blacks. Then they would swap over and do the same thing.
Sier was looking good, weaving around traffic. De Goey in the middle and doing good things. Same goes for Elliott. He sure was not playing deep forward at all, but more around the ground.

Reid had a good day up forward. Cameron grabbed some marks, though he did spray an easy goal. But rucked well against Grundy. Cox was moving well.
Daicos looking impressive with his good smarts with decision making. Taking that Josh Thomas role with him being not there today. Atu being at the other end as the other small forward for the opposite team, but I think he would be behind a few for that position.
Will Kelly playing up forward. Tyler Brown with a haircut you can see his face. He actually looks like Shaz if you didn't see their numbers on their backs. haha.

The defenders did well. Good things from Howe and Maynard. With Roughy out of match sim today, I think Madgen was playing that full back role. Moore looked lively. Bianco looking good, though he did mess up once, which was unusual. But hey, we have off days sometimes.

After match sim was completed, there was a drill where they practiced kick ins toward the midfield. Roughy and Cal Brown did participate in this one though. Went for a little while. Then followed that was, split into two groups they went on about moving the ball to teammates while their opponents had to try to intercept the ball.

They also did sprints after each drill they did.

lastly was goal kicking. Everyone had to do this, even defenders, who you'd think wouldn't get much opportunity on game day; but nonetheless they all were goal kicking whilst the coaches watched on. It's something De Goey needs to work on, as he shanks more than I'd like.

In other note: Appleby told us that he was a month away. Had ankle surgery in the off-season. Spoke to Walshy and he said Langdon was a few months away.

Went to training this morning..

Only players not in attendance was: Beams, Langdon. Thomas. Broomhead made an appearance in a casual t-shirt and pies shorts. He always looks like he just rolled out of bed lol But I imagine he had been doing something indoors.

Varcoe did laps. Greenwood and Appleby also. Roughy, Cal Brown, Treloar did light work. Treloar went inside while Cal Brown and Roughy joined in on the drills after the match sim. My friend asked Roughy if everything was alright, he replied with "Yup, just taking a lighter session."

After warm up was done, match sim was in progress. Just without umpires. Roughy, Cal Brown, Treloar didn't participate. Was between the whites and blacks. Then they would swap over and do the same thing.
Sier was looking good, weaving around traffic. De Goey in the middle and doing good things. Same goes for Elliott. He sure was not playing deep forward at all, but more around the ground.

Reid had a good day up forward. Cameron grabbed some marks, though he did spray an easy goal. But rucked well against Grundy. Cox was moving well.
Daicos looking impressive with his good smarts with decision making. Taking that Josh Thomas role with him being not there today. Atu being at the other end as the other small forward for the opposite team, but I think he would be behind a few for that position.
Will Kelly playing up forward. Tyler Brown with a haircut you can see his face. He actually looks like Shaz if you didn't see their numbers on their backs. haha.

The defenders did well. Good things from Howe and Maynard. With Roughy out of match sim today, I think Madgen was playing that full back role. Moore looked lively. Bianco looking good, though he did mess up once, which was unusual. But hey, we have off days sometimes.

After match sim was completed, there was a drill where they practiced kick ins toward the midfield. Roughy and Cal Brown did participate in this one though. Went for a little while. Then followed that was, split into two groups they went on about moving the ball to teammates while their opponents had to try to intercept the ball.

They also did sprints after each drill they did.

lastly was goal kicking. Everyone had to do this, even defenders, who you'd think wouldn't get much opportunity on game day; but nonetheless they all were goal kicking whilst the coaches watched on. It's something De Goey needs to work on, as he shanks more than I'd like.

In other note: Appleby told us that he was a month away. Had ankle surgery in the off-season. Spoke to Walshy and he said Langdon was a few months away.
Do you think Walsh was telling the truth about Langdon,I certainly hope so it is the only halfway positive news on Langdon that I have heard.

Great report thank you very much.

Cox might be the one in trouble if Reid can stay fit.
Agree.

Plenty here already have doubts as to whether Cox is actually best 22 when fit anyway.

The ‘trump’ for Cox is his ruckwork, but for mine that isn’t really an actual trump unless we are worried about the workload Grundy is carrying. Grundy seems to relish the 85-90% time in the ruck...so we should play whichever tall forward is able to best provide a target, clunk some marks, help transition out of backline and impact the scoreboard.

If Checka, Cox, Reid and even Cameron are all fit and spending their pre-season doing that, it gives us competition for spots...something we haven’t really had in terms of our tall forwards for a few years.

Do you think Walsh was telling the truth about Langdon,I certainly hope so it is the only halfway positive news on Langdon that I have heard.

Great report thank you very much.
A few months away is hardly positive news coming from Walsh. 2-3 weeks means a few months. A few months means he’ll probably never play again in Walsh-speak.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back