The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you not know how the NEM works or just having a laugh?

The NEM is the wholesale market. I get that. What I am asking is why SA prices are the highest per kwH when they have the highest use of renewables.

If it's profiteering, then the whole renewables are the cheapest energy is just hot air and we're just using taxes to line the pockets of energy retailers.

That's not as attractive as it looks. Rather than cap the higher peak prices, Amber uplift all of your usage to 41.42c, even the electricity you use when the wholesale price is low. Looks like Amber only really ends up better if you can shift your energy to off peak times.

Are you serious? My flare rate for a normal retailer was over 41c.
Most peak spikes only last 2 hours and I’ve seen 2 major ones in 3 months.

In the some periods you just lower your usage to a complete minimum…. And then enjoy the cheap rates.
Winter is a tough period for users and now it becomes tough for exporters.

Are you serious? My flare rate for a normal retailer was over 41c.
Most peak spikes only last 2 hours and I’ve seen 2 major ones in 3 months.

In the some periods you just lower your usage to a complete minimum…. And then enjoy the cheap rates.
Winter is a tough period for users and now it becomes tough for exporters.

What do you mean am I serious? I'm not wrong am I?

And what are Amber's rates. They say wholesale + distribution fees + other costs. Even if the wholesale price is zero, what's the kwH price?

And this isn't some sort of gotcha thing. I am genuinely interested in understanding this because so far, it seems that us as consumers are paying for the transition to renewables that are federally or state funded through our taxes and then still paying more for power.

Last edited:
What do you mean am I serious? I'm not wrong am I?

And what are Amber's rates. They say wholesale + distribution fees + other costs. Even if the wholesale price is zero, what's the kwH price?

And this isn't some sort of gotcha thing. I am genuinely interested in understanding this because so far, it seems that us as consumers are paying for the transition to renewables that are federally or state funded through our taxes and then still paying more for power.

Your taxes have been subsidising fossil fuels for decades.

https://australiainstitute.org.au/post/fossil-fuel-subsidies-hit-14-5-billion-in-2023-24-up-31/

Wholesale is the spot price plus transmission costs.. it’s variable.

So the below is the usage cost 26c and the feed in is 7cents.. the difference, 19c, and that is the cost of the grid etc…

IMG_3329.jpeg

Just saw a review of a PHEV Outlander.
It was surprising how well their AWD electric drive train seems to be suited to off-road conditions.
And as pointed out in the video, most 4WD enthusiasts have an offroad vehicle that is poorly suited to most of the daily driving it is used for, while the PHEV can function as a comfortable pure electric car for 60km per charge.

After saying some not so nice things about it, it seems that Mitsubishi Australia challenged this guy.

Just saw a review of a PHEV Outlander.
It was surprising how well their AWD electric drive train seems to be suited to off-road conditions.
And as pointed out in the video, most 4WD enthusiasts have an offroad vehicle that is poorly suited to most of the daily driving it is used for, while the PHEV can function as a comfortable pure electric car for 60km per charge.

After saying some not so nice things about it, it seems that Mitsubishi Australia challenged this guy.

I can’t stand that bloke… I’m sure he is paying for extra views and getting kick backs from the fossil fuel industry.

I can’t stand that bloke… I’m sure he is paying for extra views and getting kick backs from the fossil fuel industry.

He's on his best behaviour on that one.
He must have bagged the hell out of the Outlander, and Mitsubishi gave him the chance to eat his words.

His narrative on EV's isn't too bad.
He is very harsh on Toyota's "tiny battery minimal electricity" hybrid system. ( Its a petrol powered car with some electricity in the drive train ).
He tends to suggest that if you spend $10-$20 more for an EV, you probably won't get your money back. ( You might with your free electricity Nut ). But he also suggests that EV's are not only good for global warming, but they don't have the smog producing emissions which are responsible for a wide range of health issues.

He does go off about lithium batteries "exploding" a bit, and to be honest , i'm kind of worried that insurance companies will get onto them in future. Hopefully Sodium based batteries will fix that issue ( though unlike Elon's suggestion, they do seem to be a little heavier than the lightest Lithium batteries).

He's on his best behaviour on that one.
He must have bagged the hell out of the Outlander, and Mitsubishi gave him the chance to eat his words.

His narrative on EV's isn't too bad.
He is very harsh on Toyota's "tiny battery minimal electricity" hybrid system. ( Its a petrol powered car with some electricity in the drive train ).
He tends to suggest that if you spend $10-$20 more for an EV, you probably won't get your money back. ( You might with your free electricity Nut ). But he also suggests that EV's are not only good for global warming, but they don't have the smog producing emissions which are responsible for a wide range of health issues.

He does go off about lithium batteries "exploding" a bit, and to be honest , i'm kind of worried that insurance companies will get onto them in future. Hopefully Sodium based batteries will fix that issue ( though unlike Elon's suggestion, they do seem to be a little heavier than the lightest Lithium batteries).

Most of his content is about battery fire and negativity about EVs… he is what I’d regard a loser.
I don’t know where his accent is from but he talks too much like Allan Jones.
Lithium phosphate is very safe… I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise.
You are more likely to have a fire in a ICE car than an electric…

Here he proving how dumb he is trying to compare costs of an ev v ice..

Most of his content is about battery fire and negativity about EVs… he is what I’d regard a loser.
I don’t know where his accent is from but he talks too much like Allan Jones.
Lithium phosphate is very safe… I wouldn’t have bought it otherwise.
You are more likely to have a fire in a ICE car than an electric…

Here he proving how dumb he is trying to compare costs of an ev v ice..

Statisically they aren't so bad, but if they go up, they can be very hard to deal with. Do you think airlines have taken precautions against Lithium Batteries for no reason? They had a battery fire at the Victorian Big Battery. Because it was designed well they allowed it to burn out. In a future where there are a lot of EV's Lithium fires could spread in parking lots etc. Elon said we'll be using Sodium, so maybe its not an issue.

On his comparison.
After trying to skip all his waffle, i think his point is that you can buy a cheap smaller car , and help the environment pretty much the same as if you charge your 2 tonne EV using the grid.
The calculations i did earlier agree with him ( though i was looking at Hybrid EV's rather than tiny cars ). I disagree with his inclusion of the battery manufacture CO2, because he hasn't considered the CO2 used to make the engine of the ICE car. But he's used the average grid CO2 ( which is coming down every year ), wheras many people would use nighttime grid.

Of course your typical "aussie bloke" wants to drive a monster truck and both those alternatives are way better for CO2 emission.
You are calling him dumb, but i doubt you can dispute any of his figures. If i had an electric car right now i would in fact be charging it from the grid, (my circumstances don't allow otherwise at the moment ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pa pow

It should be fairly straight forward to audit the books on the likes of Tesla, and determine whether or not they are dumping.

A base Tesla 3 is around $55000 ( aud equivalent ) in Canada, so 100% tariff is putting them out of business.
Ironically the Canadian gov gives back $5000 cos ...the environment.

Its kind of bizzare when you read this.

The cheapest BYD sold in Mexico is equivalent to $37 000AUD. ( Most electric cars are not even sold in Canada ).
-------------------

This has the MG4 seemingly similarly priced to offerings from Vauxhall ( whoever makes their cars ) and Mazda.

This is good. Why on earth is dumping into Australia a concern for anyone in Australia.
Incumbent Importer vs New Importer. Who gives a rats?

I found this funny …

I'm thinking of replacing my EV with an ICE car and have some questions:
1. ICE cars cannot refuel while you sleep. How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for re-fuelling at home by 2030?
2. How often will I need to service? The salesman mentioned engine oil, timing belts and a box with gears in it. What is that? How much will this service cost - and what happens to the old oil?
3. Apparently these ICE cars stop on the brakes alone - so how long will they last compared to my BYD which lasts over 500000 kilometres.
4. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?
5. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?
6. Is it true that petrol & diesel is so flammable that you can only buy it at a special filling station, and not anywhere like hotels, car parks, home, work, holiday parks?
7. I understand the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives?
8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil. Is that true?
9. I have been told that these ICE engines make a noise when you start them - so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of ICE cars makes towns noise polluted?
10. Is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank?
11. Is it true Cobalt is used to refine oil?

If I can get all of the above answered and it turns out there are no downsides to owning a ICE car, I may have to consider buying one.

Demand of electricity is falling

Not at night just after sunset in summer.

Your funny list above is nice, but it ignores the fact that there are still issues with EV's that need to be addressed.
Its your approach to everything regarding renewable energy.
Everything renewable = perfect.

Its not. Not yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back