F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Who's on top after the break?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

George's car would have been compliant if:
  • They didn't swap to a one-stop strategy, thereby increasing the amount of rubber lost from his own tyres.
  • He was racing at a track other than Spa, where there's no formation lap, and thus no ability to collect marbles on the parade lap.

I feel that George deserved the win, but Mercedes did not. I know it's impossible to separate the two in the real world.

That's fair. I suspect they were also caught out by his change to a one-stop strategy, which increased the wear on his 2nd set of tyres, to the point that he went under the minimum weight. That's something they weren't planning on at the start of the race. However, it's also something they should have been aware of, and taken into consideration.
When they went one stop, isn't it incumbent on the pit wall to tell the driver to lift and coast even to ensure they meet the weight restriction?

When they went one stop, isn't it incumbent on the pit wall to tell the driver to lift and coast even to ensure they meet the weight restriction?
What was lifting & coasting going to do for George? It wasn't going to save his tyres.

Cars need to be 798 kg after the fuel has been drained. Fuel savings do not help solve problems if a car is underweight.

Hamilton got told to lift & coast because they were worried about him running out of fuel - not because they were worried about the car's weight.

I’m no fan of Russell but that DQ is ridiculous. If you’ve ever been to an F1 race and walked around the track after a Grand Prix it’s amazing how much rubber is left all over 6km of the circuit. Russell would have easily lost 2 or more kg from those tyres he ran for 36 laps or whatever it was.

A better system would be to weigh the cars at the start of the Grand Prix. Then there’s no issue with how much fuel you have left in the tank or how much tyre deg there is.

For someone that doesn’t get much opportunity for race wins to have it taken off you for being 1/1000 under is a joke. Not surprised though.
It cant just be before or teams could have clever ways of ejecting weight during a race (eg. water tanks).

What was lifting & coasting going to do for George? It wasn't going to save his tyres.

Cars need to be 798 kg after the fuel has been drained. Fuel savings do not help solve problems if a car is underweight.

Hamilton got told to lift & coast because they were worried about him running out of fuel - not because they were worried about the car's weight.
You can nurse it through corners to slow the degradation but that would've just had him getting overtaken.

Mind you P3 > DSQ. No guts, no glory though...

There's an interview somewhere where Lewis says if he is 1kg overweight he loses 2 seconds over race distance. Does not seem like a lot but when races like the last few have extremely tight pitstop windows and undercuts that have decided positions its huge.

The rest of the year will be interesting regarding McLaren team dynamics now that Piastri appears to have addressed tyre wear performance on long runs

Yeah feels like Checo underperforming yet again and the Russell saga has meant we haven't had a discussion about Piastri.

Genuine contender, moreso than Ricciardo imo as he has demonstrated not just the ability to nurse tyres (crucial for a potential WDC) but excellent race craft. His overtakes on the weekend were clean, well judged and on cars considered his equals piloted by vastly more experienced drivers.

If McLaren keeps this up next year - I am loading up on him being WDC.

Gifted another win? He started 3rd and dominated all day in a car that no one gave him a genuine chance in.

It sucks what happened to George but Lewis drove a brilliant race.
Yes, but he finished the race in 2nd.

Well obviously Mercedes and Russel went the 1 stop in the moment and therefore couldn’t possibly workout how much extra weight would be lost through rubber falling off 4 wheels.
With the amount of sensors and data they collect on these cars whilst on track, they probably could figure it out.
But didn't in this case.

I noticed that Max and Dan also arrived to FP1 together as well (only drivers that didn’t arrive solo)
I was curious about a post saying they were seen leaving together in a helicopter but then I saw a post on Twitter that showed all of the F1 drivers' home based and he and Max are based in Monaco while Checo is based in Mexico and Yuki is based in Italy (Maranello). I see pictures of Ricciardo and Lando from time to time and thought it was odd but Lando is based in Monaco as well.

That's probably a long way of saying nothing to see here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently Russell wasn't the only driver to do a one-stop strategy at Spa - Tsunoda and Alonso both did one-stoppers as well. Neither Tsunoda or Alonso came in underweight.

This suggests that Mercedes may have set their starting weight lower than the other teams, with the consequence that the unexpected one-stop strategy pushed them under the weight limit.

Source: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...ause-of-his-spa-f1-disqualification/10640097/

The article states that tyres typically lose 1 kg during a stint. Russell's did double the normal number of laps, so they probably lost at least 2 kg. They also lose more if the driver is "pushing", which Russell had to do at the end, so that may have compounded the problem further.

It looks like a combination of factors - having a starting weight that was too close to the minimum, combined with excessive tyre wear due to the one-stop strategy.

I was curious about a post saying they were seen leaving together in a helicopter but then I saw a post on Twitter that showed all of the F1 drivers' home based and he and Max are based in Monaco while Checo is based in Mexico and Yuki is based in Italy (Maranello). I see pictures of Ricciardo and Lando from time to time and thought it was odd but Lando is based in Monaco as well.

Last year Max and Lando got on the same helicopter and went to Tomorrowland together after the race, so things don't seem as rosy as they used to be!

Haven't we been told frequently that Lando often flies with Max, due to their bromance, and the fact that they live close together? I wasn't aware that Danny was a part of the bromance/travel club as well, but it wouldn't overly surprise me.

Haven't we been told frequently that Lando often flies with Max, due to their bromance, and the fact that they live close together? I wasn't aware that Danny was a part of the bromance/travel club as well, but it wouldn't overly surprise me.
Lando visited Danny on the farm in WA over the offseason IIRC. They're also tight

The rest of the year will be interesting regarding McLaren team dynamics now that Piastri appears to have addressed tyre wear performance on long runs
The challenge now is evening up the ledger with Lando in qualifying. If he can beat him even a third of the time he can beat him on points as he's already proven he's the more consistent starter.

think it's just a case of flying too close to the sun. going to the one stop when they likely werent thinking about it pre race, not having the cool down lap to pick up marbles, plus not having the chance to have a bit of tyre and/or fuel management due to being chased down by hamilton and piastri. possibly a slight underfuel that they werent able to manage either.

Going a bit slower would have taken less rubber off of his tires would it not?

Apparently Russell wasn't the only driver to do a one-stop strategy at Spa - Tsunoda and Alonso both did one-stoppers as well. Neither Tsunoda or Alonso came in underweight.

This suggests that Mercedes may have set their starting weight lower than the other teams, with the consequence that the unexpected one-stop strategy pushed them under the weight limit.

Source: https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/w...ause-of-his-spa-f1-disqualification/10640097/

The article states that tyres typically lose 1 kg during a stint. Russell's did double the normal number of laps, so they probably lost at least 2 kg. They also lose more if the driver is "pushing", which Russell had to do at the end, so that may have compounded the problem further.

It looks like a combination of factors - having a starting weight that was too close to the minimum, combined with excessive tyre wear due to the one-stop strategy.

My first thought was maybe their floor replacement they did where they removed some parts they just shaved that little extra on Russells to just edge a little quicker, compared to Lewis' techs. Separate garages after all and there are many hands on that car for that drastic of a change from "going nowhere" to suddenly having the pace to match the McLarean & Ferrari. That'd make the tyre deg then push him slightly under as they wear and he doesn't "top up" to correct it in warm down/other during the race.

I mean realistically he could have maybe shaved one tyre to then have a "stock" added as "too far degraded" if the tyres were "just" the issue, this has engineering shenanigans all over it for mine.

Oscar doesnt so much look like he's shunning Lewis, he looks genuinely intimidated by him/his status haha
Yep.

A young lad in his second season of F1 who is reserved by nature getting to stand alongside an acknowledged legend of the sport.

It's called being humble and genuinely in awe of the talent around him. It's something to be admired. We're just not used to seeing it in F1.

Last edited:

Daniel and Max have always had a bromance. It is more that Lando joined in on it.

I saw a post on the F1 Reddit that IIRC Lando, Daniel, and Charles flew to Spa together but I can't remember if it was on Max's jet or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 The Wash Up - Previous 2024 Race Weekends

Back