The WCE-Geel-Ess triple pack blowtorch

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, he'll make errors but it isn't through lack of application or not backing back into packs or putting his head over the ball.

----------—

I don't think anybody questions Reilly or Doughty when it comes to commitment and attack on the footy. But, if we want to be a flag threat, I don't think 'trying hard' compensates for the blunders they constantly make under pressure.

Would love to see Lynch tried down back for one of them.

So who are the players that will be under the microscope?

Henderson -
Knights -
Petrenko, Wright, Callinan -
Reilly -
Douglas -
Doughty -
Jaensch -
Johncock -
Martin -
Smith -
Jenkins, McKernan -
I think those in blue are my tips to stay in...don't think any of them deserve to be out of our best 22. Dougie seems to be one who the selectors like too...I'm still unsure though...even against the Power he was ordinary in my view. Johncock and Martin will be fighting for the sub spot. Jenkins will come in, and maybe Lynch if the weather turns bad. Knights looks gone, and Jaensch would have to do something exceptional to come back in, or we get a spate of injuries - same with McKernan if Jenkins can't grab his chance. Hendo stays in my view...offers some flexibility either down back or forward, and kicks a long goal. Callinan may be in trouble if Hendo keeps up his form. Pets replaces McIntyre in current line-up.

I think those in blue are my tips to stay in...don't think any of them deserve to be out of our best 22. Dougie seems to be one who the selectors like too...I'm still unsure though...even against the Power he was ordinary in my view. Johncock and Martin will be fighting for the sub spot. Jenkins will come in, and maybe Lynch if the weather turns bad. Knights looks gone, and Jaensch would have to do something exceptional to come back in, or we get a spate of injuries - same with McKernan if Jenkins can't grab his chance. Hendo stays in my view...offers some flexibility either down back or forward, and kicks a long goal. Callinan may be in trouble if Hendo keeps up his form. Pets replaces McIntyre in current line-up.
No chance. Sando loves him

Some tough calls to be made over the next month.

I reckon Petrenko may be back in this week, not sure on Callinan.

Personally I would love to see a forward (including midfield rotation) line of McIntyre, Pets, Nutter, Hendo Jenkins, Porps, Martin and Danger taking some longer rests up there. Get them all in there this week and the best performers play against WCE.

Tip really should be rested this week.

hard to believe that we actually have too many forwards. I remember the days when Scott Welsh was pretty much it :eek:

if we can rotate as many through the midfield as possible that has to be good but can we fit Porps, Callinan, Petrenko, Wright and Hendo into the team? Not sure whether Knights is the answer but he can take a grab and kick a goal. Lynch would be in there too under normal circumstances (cue forboding organ music).

I reckon Vince is essential to the team - his kicking is too good to leave out. He is marked hard by this board, presumably because like Dougie he carries the Curse of the Gold Jacket.

Some tough calls to be made over the next month.

I reckon Petrenko may be back in this week, not sure on Callinan.

Personally I would love to see a forward (including midfield rotation) line of McIntyre, Pets, Nutter, Hendo Jenkins, Porps, Martin and Danger taking some longer rests up there. Get them all in there this week and the best performers play against WCE.

Tip really should be rested this week.

I agree, Sando using Patty as a leading forward on the weekend was a masterstroke.

I agree, Sando using Patty as a leading forward on the weekend was a masterstroke.
Dunno if a masterstroke, or if you taking the urine. But he is 22 and has had a long season. Some stints up forward against lesser teams could be good for the long term.

Also gives more players exposure to the engine room.

Dunno if a masterstroke, or if you taking the urine. But he is 22 and has had a long season. Some stints up forward against lesser teams could be good for the long term.

Also gives more players exposure to the engine room.

I agree Geoff, it is a long season and we need to make sure Patty is fresh for the finals. We have now lost our main leading forward, Tex, and also Kurt who can also play that role very well. Whilst Hendo worked against Port, I think Patty is a better proposition to fill the gap against the better teams (e.g. West Coast). It also provides the opportunity to give some of our back up midfielders more time in the middle.

Not sure what this has to do with urine?

Callinan is no chance of being dropped. Too much success in big games. We NEED him playing finals for us. That's why we should give him an extra week off if he needs it

I agree, Callinan is a long, long, long way in front of McIntyre. Whilst T-Mac was serviceable on Saturday night he only had a couple of touches after quarter time. Callinan looked the part from day one. My only issue with nutta is the greater chance for older players to get injured. I would prefer to give Lynchy or Jarryd Lyons a run this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality thread :thumbsu:

There is a lot to be learned about our squad in the three weeks of footy coming up after GWS. Just as we learned that our squad can match it with the good sides, but still exposed some deficiencies when we had a similar period earlier in the season.

At this point if it came down to choosing two players from the trio of Callinan, Wright and Petrenko, it's Pets that would be the unlucky absentee in my mind.

Don't see any of the senior guys (Doughty, Johncock, Reilly etc) out of the side come round 24, but it's very likely that their form to that point will dictate what happens in October.

hard to believe that we actually have too many forwards. I remember the days when Scott Welsh was pretty much it :eek:
I give you Ken Mcgregor :)

been thinking all day , what happens if Jacobs goes down? the teams we play before september who think they got a date in september on a footy field WILL bash into him as much as they can. How good we are depends how we protect him on the field by banging back...

I give you Ken Mcgregor :)

been thinking all day , what happens if Jacobs goes down? the teams we play before september who think they got a date in september on a footy field WILL bash into him as much as they can. How good we are depends how we protect him on the field by banging back...

couldn't agree more. He is THE KEY to our whole season. Right now we have no back-up plan and if Sauce goes down we are royally effed. Mind you against WC it won't matter because Cox and NicNat will do as they please Sauce or no Sauce.

couldn't agree more. He is THE KEY to our whole season. Right now we have no back-up plan and if Sauce goes down we are royally effed. Mind you against WC it won't matter because Cox and NicNat will do as they please Sauce or no Sauce.

Sauce will hold his own.

Imagine having two Sauces. Now that's the shit.

Imagine having two Sauces. Now that's the shit.

Imagine having no sauce. That is shit.

After Sauce, we don't have a recognised ruckman. In fact,

Sam Jacobs - the shizzle
Kurt Tippett - concussion, 1 week
Shaun McKernan - fractured head, 6 weeks
Josh Jenkins - what's he up to at the moment?
Ben Dowdell - rookie list
James Craig - rookie list

Lose Sam Jacobs and we're suddenly like Hawthorn last season. Don't get me wrong, I love where we are, but it's like having the Sword of Damocles hanging above us, and that piece of hair holding it is red. Although I will say, Jacobs seems very robust & healthy, never hear about any little niggles etc.

Jenkins will have to come in this week for structure, and just to give Jacobs a rest, he can't ruck like that again (skill-wise hopefully yes but he must have been ****ed afterwards). He could even rest at full-forward, he and Jenkins could alternate.

I think it might be an idea to give Jacobs a rest altogether, especially if Kurtly comes up.

Agree with all the talk here on Jacobs. It's been mentioned elsewhere, but if we can build a good lead by 1/2 time then I think subbing him is the best policy. Jenkins may lose out to Giles in the Ruck, but not by enough to make 5-6 goals difference.

That is a ridiculous statement.
The point was more that we can't fit them all into our best 22. I just can't see us playing all of Pets, Wright, Callinan, Porps and Hendo in the same side, and to my mind if Hendo stays forward a few weeks and gets a regular 2 or 3 goals, he's ahead of Callinan - who's got fewer tricks than the others in my opinion (all of whom can play through the midfield).

The more I look at that list, the harder I see it being for Stiffy to get back in, there is no obvious way back in outside of injury ( which is a good thing for our depth if Stiffy can't get a look in). He won't get into the defensive unit as he has to knock out Smith ( unlikely), Dogga ( has done a job each week) and Radar ( leads the club in marks and has pin point footskills).

I really don't see him forcing his way in the fwd line either though he would be fighting Petrenko for that last spot.

Jeez, it's a bit different than last year when Sellar, Cook and Symes were making our 22

If Stiffy isnt in the best 22 NOW ahead of Smith Ill smoke yours and Carls.
He's not hesitant like Smiff, kicks better, attacks the contest better plays taller better and just is better.
Case in point during showdown: Smith running with the flow of the ball...props as he sees a Crows player approaching in peripheral vision...they both FIU...play on. Stiffy would've shown initiative.

Remove this Banner Ad

The WCE-Geel-Ess triple pack blowtorch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back