Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone notice Fagan come down and coach from the sidelines in the dying minute of the Lions match to help steady the team down. I couldn't imagine Nicks doing that. Too warm in the coach's box.

Anyone notice Fagan come down and coach from the sidelines in the dying minute of the Lions match to help steady the team down. I couldn't imagine Nicks doing that. Too warm in the coach's box.
This board used to be critical of Nicks when he coached from the boundary for a while, very weird thing to highlight in a completely non relevant game to this one.

This board used to be critical of Nicks when he coached from the boundary for a while, very weird thing to highlight in a completely non relevant game to this one.
It must have been a while ago. I don't recall it. I like the steading effect coaches have when they come down late in close matches. Nicks is not one of them.

John, mate, you've taken what I said far too seriously. I was being facetious.
Hyperbole-for-effect. I repeat: I loved the win, but please consider the following...
When does Nicks make the changes that we've suggested in here, some of which in fact we've been screaming for him to do, for weeks?
I can answer that, ie when he's forced to, by injury or circumstance --- not by insight, or any concept of player development, or innovation/instinct/flair.
Nicks had been forced to replace Murray, Thilthorpe, Crouch, Milera, then later Rankine (sus.) and the rested Tex.

I know that all reasonable Coaches are forced on Game Day to make changes due to a player injury, or some player getting soundly beaten, but the good Coaches experiment, dabble, and get games into developing players so that they are ready to play AFL. By doing that, they find the best players to build the best team.
We're finding out now, too late, what Dowling, Bond, Taylor and Cook are capable of. and please don't reply with the better-late-than-never platitude, because without senior/preferred player injuries, their younger substitutes would still be under-developed in the SANFL.
Imagine this --- a team without the above players, but also with Murray and Butts injured and Dawson concussed, was able to come back against a Top-6 side (potentially Top-4,had they won) from 15 points down with under 7 minutes to play.
VB said the Coaches' box was very busy having to deal with the Murray/Butts/Dawson losses. VB admitted they put Bond and Taylor and Keays in the middle out of necessity, guessing correctly that Bond and Keays had elite fitness (Kudos to Burgess!) and Taylor some footy nous (but Taylor admitted after the game he was gassed).
They tried it and --- guess what? --- it worked! How about that? :confusedv1:
Without those injuries and forced changes, Nicks would never know what they could do because they'd be in the SANFL.
Last Friday night Keays had what will surely be regarded as his break-out game, finally, where he pushed himself to doing what we've all hoped he would do and be BOG, with Fog and Hinge close seconds.

Keays/Taylor/Bond in the middle, ROB with a killer last 10 minutes on the back of Keays and Fog and Hinge driving us all game, for the win.
WHODA THUNK IT, John? Not Nicks, who would have stuck with his preferred 23 if he had the choice.

I'd have to watch the player interview again; 2 days have passed and I'm old.
It was Laird who revealed the info, btw.

Intensity, yes :thumbsupv1:.
Fitness, for sure :thumbsupv1:; the boys have finished a few games strongly. Yay, Burgess!

2 more scoring shots, mate, is no big deal. 3 or 4 would have been rushed.
Yes, Umpires deffo favored Essendon wrt htb and tackling frees were bewildering (eg tackle on Berry, NO FREE, wtf?)

OK, ok, the CoachES had a decent game due to changes forced upon them, REactively. They filled gaps and plugged holes well.
I concede :notworthy:.
BUT
What'd Nicks do to slow/end their run of 8 goals? For that matter, what does he ever do to stop goal-runs?? :confusedv1:
(I'm really having trouble getting past Nicks' tactical ineptitude :shoutyoldman:)

I do, true :sadv1::cryv1:.

:confusedv1::confusedv1:
I have no idea what that means, but thanks for a very reasonable reply, cheers :thumbsupv1:.
Mate, too many points for me to get through! Lol
All I can say from a general observation is this:
  • our 9-goal run which later transferred to their 7-or-8-goal run was started from a couple of errant kicks by a couple of our youngsters. I recall specifically from a poor kick by Bond, or possibly a couple of them by Bond.
  • the streak ended due to poor kicks as forward entries rather than a coaching blunder.
  • playing kids more, you see their potential more, but you tend to see more blunders too, and from what I can tell, some on here only blame the blunders on Nicks and not any of the player’s fault, and not even thinking that kids rarely play at a consistent level in their first 20 games.

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks reveals Crows used Sam Draper vision as motivation prior to win​

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks has revealed the Crows used the vision of Sam Draper’s ‘duck dive’ to motivate the side ahead of their victory over Essendon.

Sam Draper’s ‘duck dive’.

Sam Draper’s ‘duck dive’.

AFL

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks has revealed the Crows used post-game vision of Sam Draper celebrating with a “duck dive” following the controversial round six loss to Essendon as motivation for Friday night’s come-from-behind victory over the Bombers.
“It’s incredible how Karma works,” Nicks said on 3AW on Saturday as he dissected the Crows’ thrilling two-point win at Marvel Stadium.
The victory on Friday night came after Adelaide kicked the last three goals, with a simple set shot miss from Draper right in front of goal late in the game proving costly for the Bombers.
It came three months after Draper dived on the ball in the dying seconds of the clash the last time these two clubs met at Adelaide Oval, but was not penalised. The Bombers held on to win that game.
The AFL ruled at the time that the umpire erred in not paying a free kick to the Crows, which would have given them a chance to win the game.

The Essendon ruckman opened some wounds for the Crows when he celebrated on the ground following the three-point win in April by replicating a duck dive in front of a few teammates. The vision was captured on Channel 7 and didn’t go down well with the Crows players.

“We didn’t talk a lot about the last game we played (against Essendon), but we may have popped a tiny bit of vision up of Sam (Draper) and some of his excitement post the win,” Nicks said on 3AW.

Last edited:
It worked so well that we came out flat, barely touched the ball and were three goals down after 10 minutes, and allowed him a set shot that should have iced the game. Masterful coach.
On the other hand, we also won while having a far less experienced side with less to play for, away from home against a finals-bound side we haven't beaten in 7 years. Surely Nicks deserves some credit for the result.

In terms of actual good coaching, I liked the move to put Keays into the middle in the last term. Hasn't played there all season and they easily could have easily used someone else. The coaching group correctly judged that he would have an impact there, and he had a dominant last quarter.

I just saw that Dawson out with concussion.

How come the Nate Caddy not suspended?

The hit was high and he elected to bump.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Football accident, we need to allow for that stuff. Happy no one else was cited either.

Football accident, we need to allow for that stuff. Happy no one else was cited either.
Hmmmm ok

It was a bump though.

In the scheme of things probably ok. I guess Rankine off the ball the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm ok

It was a bump though.

In the scheme of things probably ok. I guess Rankine off the ball the difference.

Without seeing it again I think he was attacking the ball and Dawson has gone where perhaps he shouldn’t have?

On the other hand, we also won while having a far less experienced side with less to play for, away from home against a finals-bound side we haven't beaten in 7 years. Surely Nicks deserves some credit for the result.

In terms of actual good coaching, I liked the move to put Keays into the middle in the last term. Hasn't played there all season and they easily could have easily used someone else. The coaching group correctly judged that he would have an impact there, and he had a dominant last quarter.

Dawson was injured, necessity.

Who coached most of those losses to Essendon.

He was coaching exclusively from the bench through parts of last year and to start this year, but I don't think it worked too well though. Given how much he seems to spend on the laptop with Chris Sheedy (data strategy/stats guy) I don't think he was fully in synch with the rest of the coaching box at all.

Dawson was injured, necessity.

Who coached most of those losses to Essendon.
It wasn't a necessity. Keays had attended 1 CBA for the whole season up to 3/4 time this week, and he attended 6 in the last quarter against Essendon. Players who could have taken those CBAs instead include Laird, Taylor, Soligo, Dowling, Michalanney or Rachele. They've all been in the middle more than Keays this year and attended 2 CBAs combined for the quarter (both to Taylor).

Instead they used Keays who had 10 touches, 4 clearances, and 5 tackles for the quarter to go with his goal.

Obviously Nicks is responsible for all the losses but I don't see how that has any bearing on whether putting Keays in the middle was a good move.

Hmmmm ok

It was a bump though.

Dawson got pushed into the contact by Stringer. Maybe he should have got cited instead? Bloody unfortunate for Dawson to sit out a week, but an accident. Sanity has prevailed after all the BS last week.

Yeah don’t think had anything to do with that memory

It worked so well that we came out flat, barely touched the ball and were three goals down after 10 minutes, and allowed him a set shot that should have iced the game. Masterful coach.
OR after being majorly shafted by the umps (5-6 goals from mainly dodgy frees), we not only had our best quarter for many years, but made a massive comeback away from home against a top side kicking 3 exceptional goals in the last few mins to snatch the game. Despite having our 3 most elite players not on the ground, our 2 most experienced KPD off injured and 9 players under 50 games and the whole team gassed,

One radio station called it the game of the year,

Not hard to find positives really.

A balanced / positive poster - thank you and well expressed

OR after being majorly shafted by the umps (5-6 goals from mainly dodgy frees), we not only had our best quarter for many years, but made a massive comeback away from home against a top side kicking 3 exceptional goals in the last few mins to snatch the game. Despite having our 3 most elite players not on the ground, our 2 most experienced KPD off injured and 9 players under 50 games and the whole team gassed,

One radio station called it the game of the year,

Not hard to find positives really.
Was plenty positive, read the thread back.

Can do without Nicks having a victory lap

Was plenty positive, read the thread back.

Can do without Nicks having a victory lap
Ok man, it’s late ish Sunday night and I need my beauty sleep but fair to say I didn’t see this as a completely positive take on things, anyway happy to move on after a good weekend, cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back