Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to pick the team based on how we want to play.

First order or business is improving out starts. I’d have Papley at the first CBA (along with Heeney and Rowbottom) with the first drop being Adams. Warner to come in as a momentum booster if we have them on the back foot, or otherwise later in the game (Warner’s impact as a mid has often been second half when opponents are tiring). In the meantime Warner plays half forward.

Second order of business is more pressure upfront. Three talls plus Parker does not work - too slow. McLean stays because he rucks. Amartey stays because he is our best tall at being the ball to ground )which I know is saying something). MacDonald to me is the most talented of the three but least important structurally. However he stays in on talent. This forces Parker to sub, where he excels coming in once others have tired and slowed down. Papley needs to play front and centre a bit more, but this also needs to be the focus of Adam’s and Warner as they share Parker’s forward role. That, and chasing hard in defence. GWS waltzed out of their back half too often.

Third order of business is tightening the defence. Mills had a shocker but also had gastro. He has been strong in previous weeks so obviously no change to his role. Roberts also had a shocker and looked overawed. Though he has also looked like this in other games this year and managed to bounce back, and this was he first final. Back him in to turn it around. McCartin is struggling bit we have no one else for KPD. More time to train and sync with teammates should be somewhat helpful, but not expecting miracles.

Final order of business, Jmac. He doesn’t trust his knee so I don’t trust him (harsh I know, but he was god awful - I have no idea how they test returning players at training but he was no where near ready). Straight swap for Campbell, assuming Campbell’s groin recovers.

Summary:
Out Jmac
In Adams
Parker to Sub
Campbell from sub to first 22

Considers Cleary instead of Adams or Amartey, but think team balances means he just misses out.

First order or business is improving out starts. I’d have Papley at the first CBA (along with Heeney and Rowbottom) with the first drop being Adams. Warner to come in as a momentum booster if we have them on the back foot, or otherwise later in the game (Warner’s impact as a mid has often been second half when opponents are tiring). In the meantime Warner plays half forward.

Second order of business is more pressure upfront. Three talls plus Parker does not work - too slow. McLean stays because he rucks. Amartey stays because he is our best tall at being the ball to ground )which I know is saying something). MacDonald to me is the most talented of the three but least important structurally. However he stays in on talent. This forces Parker to sub, where he excels coming in once others have tired and slowed down. Papley needs to play front and centre a bit more, but this also needs to be the focus of Adam’s and Warner as they share Parker’s forward role. That, and chasing hard in defence. GWS waltzed out of their back half too often.

Third order of business is tightening the defence. Mills had a shocker but also had gastro. He has been strong in previous weeks so obviously no change to his role. Roberts also had a shocker and looked overawed. Though he has also looked like this in other games this year and managed to bounce back, and this was he first final. Back him in to turn it around. McCartin is struggling bit we have no one else for KPD. More time to train and sync with teammates should be somewhat helpful, but not expecting miracles.

Final order of business, Jmac. He doesn’t trust his knee so I don’t trust him (harsh I know, but he was god awful - I have no idea how they test returning players at training but he was no where near ready). Straight swap for Campbell, assuming Campbell’s groin recovers.

Summary:
Out Jmac
In Adams
Parker to Sub

Considers Cleary instead of Adams or Amartey, but think team balances means he just misses out.
Great points across the board RBBS.

But the bolded I especially liked. Papley at centre bounces has been a point of contention for a few years now, and I've never been a fan of it myself. But I feel like something needs to change with our starts, and it feels like in the guts is where that change can start. I personally would love to see us change it up and start Warner forward this week.

Great points across the board RBBS.

But the bolded I especially liked. Papley at centre bounces has been a point of contention for a few years now, and I've never been a fan of it myself. But I feel like something needs to change with our starts, and it feels like in the guts is where that change can start. I personally would love to see us change it up and start Warner forward this week.
Warner and Hayward leading out of the 50 for a dump kick doesn't sound the worst tbh, we just need to get our hands on the footy at the start of the game whether that be Adams Parker or someone and Chad up forward is a good idea as he works better at around the ground stoppages imo

Summary:
Out Jmac
In Adams
Parker to Sub

Don't agree 100% but it's thoughtful and logical.

My reaction to Campbell's game a bit like Parker's v North is wow can't be sub next time.

But is it actually the wrong move? Campbell has arguably not had as much impact in terms of winning a match before, maybe he actually right now is a great sub and you don't mess with it? Not saying that's the way to go, but is something to consider, if someone does it well.

I have been big on Papley not being midfield but I do think the idea of him at the odd centre bounce is good , just to get some aggression and movement, it's trying something different .

**** throw Grundy forward and Mclean in the ruck to start, anything to change the first quarter up.

Bogey team or the red hot hawks

Keep changing my mind

Port look banged up
We can beat both. I'm much happier to be playing either of them rather than GWS/Brisbane.

We have struggled against Port, but we've also only played them at the SCG once since 2018. Their tall forwards are shit and we shouldn't struggle against them as much as we did earlier this year now that we have our best defensive unit available.

Our best beats Hawthorn any day. Their speed won't be as effective at the SCG (especially if the pressure is as high as it was on Saturday) and they don't have the tall forwards to take the bail out marks Hogan was killing us with on the weekend.

I think Port wins this week, reckon as such a young team Hawks are due a shocker.

My reaction to Campbell's game a bit like Parker's v North is wow can't be sub next time.

But is it actually the wrong move? Campbell has arguably not had as much impact in terms of winning a match before, maybe he actually right now is a great sub and you don't mess with it? Not saying that's the way to go, but is something to consider, if someone does it well.

I have been big on Papley not being midfield but I do think the idea of him at the odd centre bounce is good , just to get some aggression and movement, it's trying something different .

**** throw Grundy forward and Mclean in the ruck to start, anything to change the first quarter up.
I interpret this as:

"Wow, this bloke is in sensational form .... let's bench him for 3/4 of the game".

I interpret this as:

"Wow, this bloke is in sensational form .... let's bench him for 3/4 of the game".

Yep that's my gut instinct too, just musing outloud sorry

I think... yes and no.

I agree that it's very hard to judge his game compared to others when he was clearly significantly fresher than anyone else on the ground, plus he came on when GWS looked dead and out on their legs and we were well on top. Maybe if he'd played in the first half when GWS were absolutely brutal he might've pooped his pants like most of the others.

On the other hand, I think he can bring exactly more of what we need. Someone who can hit a ground ball or a player in the forward half at full speed. I don't know if we are too tall in the forward 50, but we are definitely lacking speed and class when it hits the deck inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in 2005 i was using windows 95 so i have uninstalled windows 10 and reinstalled windows 95

if that doesnt work next finals series i am going to reinstall unemployment, depression and the newspaper for that 1933 feel

Like your thinking, I am going to pay 1933 prices at the shop for luck.

Summary:
Out Jmac
In Adams
Parker to Sub

Fantastic write up. Agree with almost all of it.
Papley in at the 1st bounce is a must IMO. It gets him going early too. It certainly won't hurt the team for a couple of minutes.
I agree with Warner to HF too. In the first half on the weekend his effort wasn't there defensively and it looks like he is saving himself for the 2nd half. Put him up forward more in the first half then and his eyes will light up if there are goals to be had.

IMO Parker needs to be taking marks inside 50 and kicking goals, or else he's a liability and that spot could just go to someone quicker who can pressure instead.
I expected Parker to be the player to pop on the weekend. Wasn't to be and 2 marks and 1 tackle isn't going to cut it let alone only 2 score involvements.
Having said that he had 3 clearances so if the conditions are a little slippery again he might just be better served in the midfield a little more in the 2nd half as he does keep his feet well.

I expected Parker to be the player to pop on the weekend. Wasn't to be and 2 marks and 1 tackle isn't going to cut it let alone only 2 score involvements.
Having said that he had 3 clearances so if the conditions are a little slippery again he might just be better served in the midfield a little more in the 2nd half as he does keep his feet well.
Problem is 3 clearances without any real marking presence, scoreboard impact or tackling pressure isn't much to write home about. That's largely just being a spare part. If doing a couple of good things is going to be his pass mark then I'd just rather play an Adams or Cleary or Campbell, guys who might not do heaps but can have a meaningful impact in one particular facet of the game, be it tackling or pressure or kicking skills.

Not advocating for dropping Parker but because of his lack of speed and pressure, there are few reasons for him to be in the side relative to most other players, so he's got to deliver on those reasons.

In: Sheldrick

😏 sorry…. force of habit. And it could be my last chance to say it this season.

In a more serious note: it’s just who goes out for Campbell.
I have no clue.
No one goes out for Campbell. He was already in the 23.
Or am I reading your message as a joke.

Last edited:

That first bit my point exactly. Impact sub.
Halfway through Q3.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Week in Between - now we wait. Selection talk and other guff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back