The worst Geelong player on the night

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to say Hawkins. Soft as Sh*t considering his size, doesn't run full tilt or lead anywhere damaging and actually upsets our forward line structure. Welcome back Pods, you have been sorely missed.

Mackie frustrates me enormously, his whole year has been below par. Needs a size 14 up the backside badly.

Josh Hunt's kick ins were atrocious in that first quarter.

I also think it was a bad idea to rest Selwood the week before. When he's on fire you keep playing him.

They will come out breathing fire next week. I really hope we can go all the way and that we crush St Kilda in the Grand Final.

****!

No way was Blake the worst... as much as i hate to come out and give a rocket up the players' ass after a loss, there were a few who were terrible.

Joel Corey - couldn't touch the ball clean, even in the first half when it was dry. Looked underdone and very ordinary.

Byrnes - Didn't see him in the first half at all.

Scarlett - Got an absolute bathing from Kosi in the first half...

Selwood - disgraceful!

What pisses me off is that we have quality players who played well below their best, whereas fringe players like Peake, Dempster etc step up and have their best games against us.

Seems to be a trend that we get beaten by these teams - Saints, Pies etc, and we just play as if we think we're too good for them... Boys, you are the best team, but play very arrogantly sometimes.

Still very confident we can turn it around but have to play 4 quarters.

I'm dirty ay, ****ed up my whole week now. If we lose to the Hawks next week i will be suicidal...

Losing this game was huge. Saints have a golden ticket to the GF whilst we'll have to pull off something very special to get to that last day in September.

Some shocking calls in this thread, but really, who cares?

If the worst player tonight had a great game, would we have won? Who knows.

The blame doesn't rest with one player. As a team, we failed to play well enough.

Scapegoating will risk missing that point.

I'm a Blake supporter but at halftime if you'd offered me a magical swap whereby Blake was replaced by one of the Auskick kids I'd have taken it. Got his shit together in the second half (inasmuch as he can get his shit together) and actually had a positive impact on the game but I'd definitely be looking at Out: Blake In: Pods next week.

Re: Worst player aginst StKilda?

Blake.......surprise, surprise
Maybe the last time he plays this year
Enjoy your ban. I say 4 weeks, lets keep him out of here for the finals.

Bit harsh to single players out tonight, when 16 players had less than 10 possessions up until half time. Quite a few of them lifted in the second half, but the horse had bolted by then.

That's two ordinary first half efforts in a row now. We'll need to address that if we have to play the Hawks next week, as if we play like we did in the first half tonight, especially our key defenders, Buddy and Roughead could have chalked up 10 goals between them by the main break.

Hard to find a Geelong player who is worthy of a mention so don't see why Blake is singled out.
Selwood way down-Is he injured?
Joel Corey down
Varco did nothing after the first ten mins, Byrnes not seen
Mackie agree has been ordinary all year-why didn't he go back and kick the goal in the 2nd 1/4 instead of kicking short so that we lost it.
Back line all dreadful in the first 1/2
Whole team asleep in the first 1/2 just like last week.
Where is the Coach- why weren't they up and about, why do we persist with kicking short in the forward 50-look how St Kilda got their goals, very cleanly-why were we handballing everywhere, why do we always have to play on in the forward 50.
Ross Lyons took out our midfield -with the exception of Bartel- and the back line and the forward line.Out coached Out coached.

Mackie gets unfairly criticised on here, he may not be in our elite group but he still adds a hell of a lot to the side with his rebound. AT TIMES his kicking lets him down, but he doesn't deserve the BF whipping boy status he currently has.

I'm not a Blake lover but I can admit he wasn't our worst. Yes he wasn't great and he didn't do enough to retain his spot, but Harry Taylor much as I love him, was worse, as was Josh Hunt. Even Scarlett made me look like a fool for saying this morning that Kosi was a spud and anyone could beat him, because he was sorely thrashed in the second half. Hawkins gave little, and Selwood probably had the worst game of his career. So the OP is wrong. Blake probably shouldn't or won't play next week, but he wasn't our worst player by a country mile as the OP seems to think.

He got our (equal) most contested possessions, (equal) most clearances, (equal) third most tackles and (equal) second most inside 50s and he is being considered our 'worst player on the night'. I mean Gaz was far from great, but he and Jimmy were the only players who were getting close to a clearance most of the night.

I understand the Australian need to tear down tall-poppies but some of this shit is insane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is absolute crap. There was many players that didn't play that well.

Notice that it was Ottens at the start who gave away a free kick then let Gardiner run down and kick a goal. If it was Blake that did that there would've been 6 threads on it by quarter time.

Josh Hunt hands down. He was getting out muscled by Milne who is 10-15kg lighter then him. He even fell over by a little push by Milne. Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane. His decisions on the kick ins were woeful.
Scarlett had a shocker, he didn't seem right.
I thought Hawkins played well he presented and did some nice things. Selwood was quiet but wouldn't say he played poorly. Chappy rushed a lot of his possessions early on.
I thought the big difference between the 2 teams especially in the first half was Geelong were corralling, where St Kilda would come and attack you and force you to make a decision and our decisions weren't great and caused us to have errors. Second half was different we started attacking and we started to get some ball movement through the middle which ended up getting results on the scoreboard.

I thought Ottens did alright tonight. What was Blakes game time % ? It looked to me that Bomber didn't want him out there

Worst Geelong player? I would say it was a "team effort" tonight
I thought Ottens was pretty good too.

Crucial moment early; Geelong up three goals to one and have won every centre clearance so far. Hawkins comes into the ruck, for an unknown reason. St Kilda win the clearance, goal. St Kilda win the next, goal. Scores level.

Crucial moment early; Geelong up three goals to one and have won every centre clearance so far. Hawkins comes into the ruck, for an unknown reason. St Kilda win the clearance, goal. St Kilda win the next, goal. Scores level.

Depends on what your performance criteria are. Otto was clearly slow around the ground (at times we needed a long target for a kickout and he couldn't get there quickly enough to present) and didn't dominate the taps but I looked at the scoreboard at one point and he was 2nd overall (among geel and st kilda players) for clearances so he had a big influence there.

On the Hawkins ruck thing, there's clearly a reason why he did, and you know what it was. I won't state the obvious. I'm not saying I agree with it, but we all know what Bomber wants to do.

I thought Ottens did alright tonight. What was Blakes game time % ? It looked to me that Bomber didn't want him out there

Worst Geelong player? I would say it was a "team effort" tonight

Blake didn't seem to have much gametime (just my perception) so you may be right. Wasn't our poorest player though, has friends there.

I'm going to say Hawkins. Soft as Sh*t considering his size, doesn't run full tilt or lead anywhere damaging and actually upsets our forward line structure. Welcome back Pods, you have been sorely missed.
seriously dude. what the ****. hawkins marked everything that came to him. he got clapped when he came off. despite no goals, he was pretty important and when he didnt take the mark, he was controlling the ball or putting it to advantage. shit call.

3rd quarter, Hawkins moves into middle; starts set of clearances with 2nd efforts and handballs to linking players.....kicked 5 goals in quarter. May not be responsible for all 5, but played a part in getting Selwood, Ablett and co. in the game.

3rd quarter, Hawkins moves into middle; starts set of clearances with 2nd efforts and handballs to linking players.....kicked 5 goals in quarter. May not be responsible for all 5, but played a part in getting Selwood, Ablett and co. in the game.

If we are playing Hawkins in the middle because we feel we need him to 'start a set of clearances' then:

1, we have pretty serious problems with our ball-winning mids
2, we may as well just play 4 rovers and have Jimmy jump into the other ruckmen Luke Hodge style

Tom didn't get a clearance tonight and had less hitouts than Bartel and Corey. Not really the stats of a guy who had a great impact in the middle. He Blake and Ottens really didn't offer anything.

I think Hawkins is being badly coached atm. Doesn't seem to have a position and may have to ruck against the AFLs best next week having not rucked for 3 weeks. Not sure if our current use of Hawkins is in the best interest of his long-term development.

seriously dude. what the ****. hawkins marked everything that came to him. he got clapped when he came off. despite no goals, he was pretty important and when he didnt take the mark, he was controlling the ball or putting it to advantage. shit call.

Let's see 5 marks, 3 kicks, 2 behinds.

Versus Mooney: 4 marks, 8 kicks, 3 goals, 3 behinds.

That says to me that Hawkins was crap, didn't lead to dangerous positions and didn't convert either of at least 2 shots at goals and was useless when the ball went to ground. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The worst Geelong player on the night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back