Roast Things that Irk and Pet Peeves

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a new one... AI

An AI image of a ‘typical Geelong supporter’.
A mix of small-town mindset and Geelong Grammar elitism.

The R M Williams-clad, Young Liberal who splits his time between the family property in Ceres and a boarding house dorm.

That makes sense, given the Cats also enjoy the privilege of having two home grounds.
Bahaha, that's hilarious.

I have a new one... AI

What sort of prejudicial crap is this ... its just digital pre judgement that proffers a flawed inexact bias. My goodness... are we are living Space Odyssey 2001? Just how man Harry Potter types have you seen in a Geelong crowd?

Geelong​

The R M Williams-clad, Young Liberal who splits his time between the family property in Ceres and a boarding house dorm.

That makes sense, given the Cats also enjoy the privilege of having two home grounds.

Anyone else think that the look has been inspired by a young Joel Selwood:

1691553517090.jpeg

The fact we're subjected to the likes of Luke Darcy, BT and Hamish McLachlan on commentary while the superior Nigel Carmody, Jason Bennett, and to a lesser extent Alastair Nicholson rarely get a look in apart from VFL and AFLW coverage.

To think that as bad as they are Darcy and McLachlan aren't even on the podium (to me anyway) as far as being the worst.

Have to include Russell, Brayshaw, and now Howard in that list.

Watching Port Power replay.
What is it about O'Henry that irks?
A: He always attempts to mark.
Must learn when a spoil is better option.
Close and Stengle are adept crumber's
Is it just me?

Curious what are things that irk you?
Fess Up!

Dangers goal Kicking
Kolo's short pass clangers

He is super athletic, but I find he launches himself way too hard and too early.
It might be him trying to compensate for his current lack of size, but to take a mark like that is extremely difficult.
Once he puts on some more muscle I hope he can adjust that approach.

Different to a Max Rooke who was doing the same but getting a strike doing so.

He is super athletic, but I find he launches himself way too hard and too early.
It might be him trying to compensate for his current lack of size, but to take a mark like that is extremely difficult.
Once he puts on some more muscle I hope he can adjust that approach.

Different to a Max Rooke who was doing the same but getting a strike doing so.
As a general rule, forwards should always try to mark. The crumb is only ever a second option.

I have a new one... AI

What sort of prejudicial crap is this ... its just digital pre judgement that proffers a flawed inexact bias. My goodness... are we are living Space Odyssey 2001? Just how man Harry Potter types have you seen in a Geelong crowd?

Geelong​

That looks like a young Joel Selwood Clark Kenting

Kicking the ball backwards is easy to officiate when it clearly goes backwards but very difficult for the umpires otherwise, unless they are in line with the kick. It would be another pressure on the umps and lead to more disputes. Much easier would be to not allow a mark when the defensive side kicks it back into its defensive arc. It should be play on.
its far easier to umpire then the 15 metre kick rule. Yet we have that rule. Anyway its only the obvious backward passes that i would not allow marks for. 50-50 ones just call a mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact we're subjected to the likes of Luke Darcy, BT and Hamish McLachlan on commentary while the superior Nigel Carmody, Jason Bennett, and to a lesser extent Alastair Nicholson rarely get a look in apart from VFL and AFLW coverage.
mclachlan is the worst. Only there cos of his brother. He is a Nepo sibling

marks being paid for kicks of 10 metres. The rule should be marks are only paid for kicks longer than 20 metres.
Totally this. At least if we said 20 metres, some of those paid might actually carry 12-13. Which would be a significant improvement on the miniscule distances some kicks currently cover to result in a mark.

:mad:

Regarding the "play on for backwards kicks" - what about something like implementing that for kicks in the defensive half of the ground but is still permitted in the attacking half

It will reduce time wasting late in quarters where teams play kick to kick to run down the clock

its far easier to umpire then the 15 metre kick rule. Yet we have that rule. Anyway its only the obvious backward passes that i would not allow marks for. 50-50 ones just call a mark.
You can't tell the umpires to only pay the obvious ones. It is either backwards or not.

Miers running into the forward pocket 20m out does a hook kick and finds Cameron 30m out directly in front. No mark?

30 second rule for goal kicking
Im fine with this rule when the player has a shot on goal but when a player chooses to pass to another player inside 50 it should be play on. This effectively is another field kick which only allows for about 6 seconds. It’s very noticeable when a game is in the balance with about a minute to go. The first player holds onto it for 25 seconds to then pass it to another player who does the same to run down the clock. If after the first kick, play on is called the opponent now has 35 seconds to get it down the other end. It makes for a more exciting finish.

Umpires coaching
“don’t do anything silly your team already has the free kick”.
This disadvantages the team who didn’t receive the coaching who potentially miss out on a free kick.
Umpires shouldn’t be telling players how to play the game and should be just pulling them up when they do something wrong.

Dropping the ball
Players when tackled are now deliberately loosening their grip on the footy enough for the ball to spill free to avoid having to handball. This has always and should be judged as a dropping the ball but it’s now being interpreted as play on.

It is an interesting concept but i would rather we just get rid of all double ups and play each other once rotating home ground each year.
But let's face it, nobody wants five fewer games of footy per year. Especially not all those who would suffer from having five fewer rounds in their wallet - players, AFL...

I don't mind the systems that some have proposed of splitting off the league into three from that point - bottom six play for the #1 pick, middle six play for the chance to make the finals, top six play for the best seedings going into the finals.

Dropping the ball
Players when tackled are now deliberately loosening their grip on the footy enough for the ball to spill free to avoid having to handball. This has always and should be judged as a dropping the ball but it’s now being interpreted as play on.
This x infinity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Things that Irk and Pet Peeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back