Roast This is our worst ever season in club history!

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily the worst season ever. But it was to no surprise. I'm sure Port fans are laughing but we deserved to be laughed at.

Heading in the right direction last year but often ran into games decided by less than a kick or decided by a bad decisions. Keays kicked the goal, umm wait it hit the post. No it didn't hit the post. No score review. That game last year probably destroyed our 2024 season because of our expectation. We're not good at handling adversity. I think 2024 would have been better if we made the finals last year but still a 50/50 season of making the 8.

I did not like our attitude in Round 1 against Gold Coast and I knew re signing Nicks was a huge mistake and the season quickly fell apart as soon as it started. Panic turnover ridden football and no belief. A few times we showed up better, but when expectations started rising it all fell apart.

Best games vs Port at AO (Showdown 57), vs Essendon at Marvel, vs Carlton at Marvel, vs GWS at AO
Worst games vs Gold Coast at Carrara, vs Richmond at AO, vs Hawthorn at AO, vs Fremantle at Optus

4 of our 8 wins were against teams that will probably make the finals. (Still 1 more game and no guarantee Carlton makes the 8).

In terms of excuses, this is worse. He played a lot of young kids in 2020. On record 2020 is our worst but I think hands down this is our worst season where there just isnt the excuses to back Nicks.
Agreed. Nicks was the only 1st time coach in 2020 and under Covid protocols he couldn't even get all his players in the same room together to explain the new game plan, hence the water bottle tutorial in the change room. The other coaches could at least fall back to last years plan. We were young too with what seemed like a poor fitness base until late season when we won a few.

This year no such excuses.

Can't help but think we need to take the Hawthorn route, and clean out the old guard. This is both on-field and off-field. Nicks / VB to go at a minimum. The biggest issue we have is our clearances - we've been slaughtered there most weeks, and those responsible need to be held to account. We've also kept good young talent out of the AFL side for too long, and need to fast-track their development. Trade Tex to Melbourne as part of a deal for ANB, send Laird and Smith on their way. Bring in Luko as the Tom Lynch style player, and prioritise Draper in the Draft. Not sure who we target as coach, but along with a new coach, see if Adam Simpson wants a role to oversee our coaching panel (at least he has landed a premiership as a coach). Definitely need a new midfield coach too...and a new ruck of course...

Last edited:
I get what you’re driving at and there will those that will take the literal and binomial interpretation and respond - but we finished last…

It has been a shit year of delivering way below expectation and exposing continued incompetence of the AFC.

But we have had some really shit periods over the past 12 years that it is hard to split a lot of them, eg the camp, Tippettgate

Edit plus some really shit people embedded at the club historically too eg Chapman, Trigg etc

We were not the youngest and least experienced team in 2020.

Average age games played

GC 24.0
Syd 24.4
Freo 24.9
StK 24.9
WB 24.9
ADL 25.1
AFL AVE. 25.6

GC 24.2
ADL 24.4
NM 24.6
Freo 24.8
AFL AVE. 25.4

ADL 24.0
ESS 24.6
HAW 24.6
NM 24.6
CARL 24.8
AFL AVE. 25.5

HAW 24.3
FREO 24.6
ADL 24.8
NM 25.1
WC 25.2
AFL AVE. 25.7

NM 24.3
GC 24.6
ADL 24.8
HAW 24.9
FREO 25.0
GWS 25.2
AFL AVE. 25.7

Some context. Is that equal 3 rd in a ladder with games just v top 8 sides

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure why they've sorted that ladder by games played and omitted teams like Sydney and Port

The actual ladder is

1. Sydney 6W 3L
2. GWS 6W 5L
3. Collingwood 6W 6L
4. Port Adelaide 5W 3L
5. Geelong 5W 5L
6. Western Bulldogs 4W 5L
7. Hawthorn 4W 5L
8. Carlton 4W 6L
9. Melbourne 4W 7L
10. Adelaide 4W 1D 7L
11. Brisbane 3W 5L
12. Essendon 3W 5L
13. Fremantle 3W 7L
14. Gold Coast 3W 7L
15. St Kilda 2W 8L
16. Richmond 1W 10L
17. West Coast 0W 7L
18. North Melbourne 0W 11L

Not sure why they've sorted that ladder by games played and omitted teams like Sydney and Port

The actual ladder is

1. Sydney 6W 3L
2. GWS 6W 5L
3. Collingwood 6W 6L
4. Port Adelaide 5W 3L
5. Geelong 5W 5L
7. Hawthorn 4W 5L
8. Carlton 4W 6L
9. Melbourne 4W 7L
10. Adelaide 4W 1D 7L
11. Brisbane 3W 5L
12. Essendon 3W 5L
13. Fremantle 3W 7L
14. Gold Coast 3W 7L
15. St Kilda 2W 8L
16. Richmond 1W 10L
17. West Coast 0W 7L

So we have played 4 top 8 teams twice and 4 teams once.

Port have played 1 top 8 team twice (Carlton) and the other 6 teams once.

Some context. Is that equal 3 rd in a ladder with games just v top 8 sides

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is an over used stat. We had a side that should have won more games. Plus there were 3 sides in the top 8 this year from last year. Sides that were under us last year. Its also the least dominating top 8 in years. Most sides this year have been capable of beating other teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks always plays his favourites (hello Murphy and Himmelberg)
Not that Himmelberg is some maligned talent. But Nicks will avoid playing Himmelberg at any cost most times and has repeatedly given Frampton, Burgess, Gollant games ahead of him, despite zero evidence any of them are any better.

The actual ladder is

1. Sydney 6W 3L
2. GWS 6W 5L
3. Collingwood 6W 6L
4. Port Adelaide 5W 3L
5. Geelong 5W 5L
7. Hawthorn 4W 5L
8. Carlton 4W 6L
9. Melbourne 4W 7L
10. Adelaide 4W 1D 7L
11. Brisbane 3W 5L
12. Essendon 3W 5L
13. Fremantle 3W 7L
14. Gold Coast 3W 7L
15. St Kilda 2W 8L
16. Richmond 1W 10L
17. West Coast 0W 7L
Wow, pies v lions is interesting given their respective positions...

One thing to consider in this season vs 2020 and 2021.

Back in those two godawful years we still had Matt Hass (I can't use Kangatec/whoops you have a persistent hamstring injury) as Head of fitness.

This season we have Burgess. Under that measure, 2024 has to be as abominably bad as 2020 (if not worse).

The common thread between this season, 2020 and 2021? We went back to Nicks cherished "defend at all costs" coaching style which is both fugly and a proven failure.

Last edited:

The actual ladder is

1. Sydney 6W 3L 9
2. GWS 6W 5L 11
3. Collingwood 6W 6L 12
4. Port Adelaide 5W 3L 8
5. Geelong 5W 5L 10
6. Western Bulldogs 4W 5L 9
7. Hawthorn 4W 5L 9
8. Carlton 4W 6L 10
9. Melbourne 4W 7L 11
10. Adelaide 4W 1D 7L 12
11. Brisbane 3W 5L 8
12. Essendon 3W 5L 8
13. Fremantle 3W 7L 10
14. Gold Coast 3W 7L 10
15. St Kilda 2W 8L 10
16. Richmond 1W 10L 11
17. West Coast 0W 7L 7
18. North Melbourne 0W 11L 11

Easiest Draw (least games vs top 8)
3. Brisbane
2. Port / Essendon
1. West Coast

Hardest Draw (most game vs top 8)
3. North / Richmond
2. Collingwood
1. ADELAIDE

Easiest Draw (least games vs top 8)
3. Brisbane
2. Port / Essendon
1. West Coast

Hardest Draw (most game vs top 8)
3. North / Richmond
2. Collingwood
1. ADELAIDE
Yeah, that will teach us for not standing up to the AFL over the non-goal fiasco...

We may as well take a hard stand, because the AFL couldn't really treat us worse

But our management are weak a piss.

This club has been well and truly ****ed since the debacle of the 2017 GF loss.

The lack of accountability and responsibility by management for the subsequent Camp and the resultant compete gutting of any shred of culture in the playing group and we watched the following wasted 2 years under the arrogant Pyke and his cronies thinking they could just keep doing the same stuff as they did in 2017 despite having on field results fall off a cliff. How ignorant and arrogant this club had become for the 2 years after 2017.

Then they finally decide to axe Pyke in 2020 and bite the bullet and enter the rebuild under Nicks in a covid year which they had to do anyways as players had already left in droves and no-one wanted to come to a toxic club culture.

The actions to Josh this week by Club management and Nicks and the clubs leaders have well and truly reinforced the complete soulless corporation the AFC has now become. To make the decision to drop this raw undeveloped kid for his Showdown actions purely for politically correctness is appalling. He had already taken a beating for most of the year from the media and had got no support from the Club at all. To not play him in a a dead rubber in an equally wasted season is woeful ffs. Particularly after he made the AFLPA Under 22 side in the same week he has been dropped. Its the last straw for this gutless arrogant club and I hope he leaves and takes most of his young mates with him.

Who the hell would want to come to this cultureless club? Good luck with future recruiting and retention.

The off field leadership is none existent and they only care about TV ratings and money and prime time fixtures. Never mind results! They are secondary.

The AFC Corporation Board is full of politicians and business leaders and non-footy people (bye bye Roo we cant get rid of you quick enough - your finger prints are on nearly every disaster this club has recently had). Stuff the fans and members you simply don't matter to the corporate machine.

Players are constantly treated like dirt and are thrown under buses by player leaders (yes Laird I'm looking at you!). Look at the different player that Stengle has become in Geelong (and yes he still has his issues but at least that club has a culture that embraces not destroys its players simply because it is politically correct to do so).

Nicks always plays his favourites (hello Murphy and Himmelberg) while continually crucifying kids during a rebuild. Where is the man management and people development skills of this robot we have as a Head Coach?

Please explain to anyone here why Tex has not yet been resigned for next year when every other club has treated their veterans and ex-captains and on-field leaders like gold? If only for the PR value of the signing it should happen. But no not according to the machine which must always be right. If he wants 2 years as is rumoured then bloody well give it to him. Contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on nowadays anyway.

This year was always going to happen given the ending and the media and club fanfare of last year (waah waah we were robbed went the cry!) They arrogantly turned up in 2024 thinking their shit didn't stink after reading their own press and that all they had to do was turn up to rightfully play finals after being robbed of it last year. Well let me say that 2023 wasn't exactly a stellar H&A year like 2017 certainly was. In 2024 the club merely put band-aids over arterial bleeding wounds and has well and truly got what it deserves in 2024.

Same shit different year should be the motto of the AFC Corporation.

Now over to those perennial underachieving arrogant shits Reid and Ogilvie to **** up the 2024 draft period.

End of rant. Signed Crows Ex-Member.
Yep, but at least Himmelberg is ok. Murphy is one of the most atrociously skilled players ever to set foot on any football ground anywhere!!!
We have found a LOT of talented youngsters this season so why have we gone sooo poorly?
Keays, laird, jones, Murphy, McHenry are all so poorly skilled that practice sessions must be embarrassing for them!!! Guys like bond, Taylor, Dowling have more skills in their little finger than all those guys put together.

The actual ladder is

1. Sydney 6W 3L
2. GWS 6W 5L
3. Collingwood 6W 6L
4. Port Adelaide 5W 3L
5. Geelong 5W 5L
7. Hawthorn 4W 5L
8. Carlton 4W 6L
9. Melbourne 4W 7L
10. Adelaide 4W 1D 7L
11. Brisbane 3W 5L
12. Essendon 3W 5L
13. Fremantle 3W 7L
14. Gold Coast 3W 7L
15. St Kilda 2W 8L
16. Richmond 1W 10L
17. West Coast 0W 7L
I hate to intrude on here. I am gutted with that 3 won and 7 loss top 8 record.

Those 2 narrow defeats to Carlton in round 4 and port in round 5 will probably cost Freo a spot in the finals.

Saying that. Sorry to let the non Vic's down with that narrow loss to cats.

Had Freo beaten the cats and Brisbane beaten the magpies by a point last week, Swans, GWS, port and Brisbane would all be top 4.

I don't mind a non Vic side winning the flag in 2024. Freo losing to port means Port Adelaide gets top 2.

Yet GWS is in this weird situation. Win and risk 3rd spot and port gets 2nd? Or GWS lose and get 4th and face the swans in NSW with our travelling.

3 worst seasons in our history:

2020 - 14 losses in a row. First wooden Spoon. Disaster.
2010 - Looked so good at the end of 2009. Looked like we had a group of stars to take over - Knights, Douglas, Mackay, Tippett, Walker, Danger. Then we went 1-7 in the first 8 rounds.
2024 - No explanation necessary. Season expectation by the club was finals. Finished 15th.
I remember that 2010 season. Crows sadly started 0-6. That was tough.

I remember going to a crows vs Carlton game at footy park in early 2010. I chatted with an elderly crow fan at the 1st quarter and half time break.

He said see you later at 3 quarter time. A fair bit of crows fans were leaving the game at 3 quarter time.

Crows kicked the 1st 2 goals of that final quarter to bring the game to under 5 goals. Carlton won in the end.

As you said, crows were way better in that 2nd half. They beat the cats in footy park late in the season too.

I hate to intrude on here. I am gutted with that 3 won and 7 loss top 8 record.

Those 2 narrow defeats to Carlton in round 4 and port in round 5 will probably cost Freo a spot in the finals.

Saying that. Sorry to let the non Vic's down with that narrow loss to cats.

Had Freo beaten the cats and Brisbane beaten the magpies by a point last week, Swans, GWS, port and Brisbane would all be top 4.

I don't mind a non Vic side winning the flag in 2024. Freo losing to port means Port Adelaide gets top 2.

Yet GWS is in this weird situation. Win and risk 3rd spot and port gets 2nd? Or GWS lose and get 4th and face the swans in NSW with our travelling.
You don't deserve to play finals after that last quarter fadeout against Essendon. That was awful.

I remember that 2010 season. Crows sadly started 0-6. That was tough.

I remember going to a crows vs Carlton game at footy park in early 2010. I chatted with an elderly crow fan at the 1st quarter and half time break.

He said see you later at 3 quarter time. A fair bit of crows fans were leaving the game at 3 quarter time.

Crows kicked the 1st 2 goals of that final quarter to bring the game to under 5 goals. Carlton won in the end.

As you said, crows were way better in that 2nd half. They beat the cats in footy park late in the season too.

It was a dreadful (warm) day in front of goal 6.19 (4 rushed).

Forward line had a nightmare. Kurt Tippett was awesome with 3 clunkers. Brett Burton 1.3. Porplyzia 0.1

Adelaide started 0-6, then won 7 of the next 10 after beating Geelong in Round 16 to take their record to 7-9 and after that game with McLeod finished they only won 2 more games for the season to finish 9-13. A forgetful loss to Richmond 2 weeks later all but buried it.

2011 was rubbish but it was meant to be, 2012 was great until off season drama, but we badly underachieved at times from 2013-2019 (Best teams 2016, 2017).

You don't deserve to play finals after that last quarter fadeout against Essendon. That was awful.
Well... That essendon loss didnt kill freos season, it knocked the wind out of our sails. Then the cats loss by 12 points didnt help. gws then beat us by 9 points.

Then the game vs port. Lost by 20.

But the crows 2024 season isnt the worst. Its mainly bad because its their 7th season in a row of no finals. 8 wins and 15 losses isnt great. But its way better than the crows 2020 and 2021 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast This is our worst ever season in club history!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back