This weeks Maggot's

Remove this Banner Ad

Rafa Benitez

Senior List
May 21, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Vozzo- Was fu*cken woeful in the final against the Eagles, so naturally he is back again.
Kennedy- Being a self confessed Kangaroo's fan made it a 'no brainer' to appoint him to our game.
Rosebury- Was ok in the game against the eagles.

Prediction: They will be shit

Ah look, my life as a football supporter became a lot less stressful years ago when I stopped fretting about the umps at the game. I've often found that decisions that looked shocking when I was at the game became intelligible when seeing the replay at home.

Sure there are clangers and I have to admit that this season I've noticed annoyance at the umps creeping back into my psyche. However I've left Port games this year convinced we got the rough end of the pineapple only to find that we'd got more free kicks than our opponents.

There are definitely some absolute shocking decisions though. Against West Coast Ebo dropped a sitter near the boundary line in the last couple of minutes. The ball went out by over a foot but play was allowed to go on and we moved it thirty metres round the boundary and ate up some valuable time.

On the flip side was the shocking sequence in the game against Geelong where a push in the back was awarded to Mooney against Thurstans even though Cam and the ball were well over the boundary line when mild contact was made. Then he was allowed to play on and pass to a player in board even though the umpire setting the mark was calling out "Wait, wait" trying to stop Mooney from playing on till he'd finished.

You just hope there aren't any clangers in the last few minutes.

Um boys, a quick heads up from someone who is following you guys now.

Check the Hawks board or the Umpires board and see what 2 of them did last week.

FREE KICKS 30 - 15 (KANGAS FAVOUR)
ROSEBURY 15 - 6 (KANGAS WAY)
VOZZO 6-5 (KANGAS WAY)
McLAREN 9- 4 (KANGAS WAY)

Hope you get a fair go.

Check the Hawks board or the Umpires board and see what 2 of them did last week.

VOZZO 6-5 (KANGAS WAY)

Hope you get a fair go.
I don't have a dog in the Hawks v Kangas fight but I have to tell you that the Hawks played the man rather than the ball at times in that match. The targetting of Harvey was a case in point. I reckon your lot trying to be the tough guys detracted from your performance.

Not diagreeing with how we went about it at times but check some of the calls missed our way especially at crucial moments.

This a week after they cried poor on frees. Hopefully if it is called down the line you will smash them.

.... However I've left Port games this year convinced we got the rough end of the pineapple only to find that we'd got more free kicks than our opponents......
Free kick count is absolutely meaningless in accessing the performance of an umpire.

Consider the scenario where we are 2 points down with seconds to play. The free kick count is currently even. We win a centre break and kick long to the square. Ebert takes front spot and is set to mark on his chest when his Kangaroos opponent pushes him in the back and he goes to ground. The umpire calls play on and the ball goes thru' for a touched behind. The siren sounds, we lose.

The umpires have done a good job however as the free kick count is even. :rolleyes:

When I was umpiring I never ever had the free kick count mentioned in a match review. The observer may question me on various incidents and get my explanation as to why I paid or did not pay a free kick.

The first rule of umpiring is to pay every free kick that is there.

thank god no

chamberlain - not that he is biased it is just that he picks out 1 free kick a quarter which baffles everyone, players, spectators and commentators.

goldspink - this guy is a dead set cheat or is as useless as **** on a bull. I have no idea how he is on the AFL panel.

Yeah, let's pray that doesn't happen. Had Geelong goaled from that Cam Mooney incident we may well have not finished second.

goldspink - this guy is a dead set cheat or is as useless as **** on a bull. I have no idea how he is on the AFL panel.

Because the number one requirement for being an AFL umpire is being able to bounce the ball in the centre.

The league don't really care about anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VOZZO 6-5 (KANGAS WAY)

Hope you get a fair go.

Free kick count says 0. If one team goes for the man (as the hawks did last week), and the other team goes for the ball (As the Roos did), you'd expect more free kicks to go the Roo's way.

can't believe we get vozzo!!!
He is an absolute hack. Watch him give away the softest frees in front of goal then miss blatantly obvious ones.

Even though Woodcock hates Port (Chad), he's one of the fairest and consistent umps, how he didn't get a gig for the finals is beyond me.

it's true... the hawks had some disgraceful decisions go against them in that match... didn't affect the outcome, but did affect their building up of momentum at times, which is crucial to bringing the team back into the game.

basically, if i were a hawks fan, i would have cursed. a lot.

Does anybody else think that a home game and a loud crowd often work against us with umpire decisions?

It always seems to me that umpires are so paranoid of being 'swayed' by the fans that they tend to err on the side of the away team, just to make sure they cannot be called biased under pressure.

Does anybody else think that a home game and a loud crowd often work against us with umpire decisions?

It always seems to me that umpires are so paranoid of being 'swayed' by the fans that they tend to err on the side of the away team, just to make sure they cannot be called biased under pressure.

Unless we're the away team ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

This weeks Maggot's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back