Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reasonable argument that can be made for Hinkley coaching the semi final after a 14 goal loss in a home EF, his 4th bad finals loss in a row.

But, then again, how many "there is no reasonable argument that can be made for Hinkley coaching... after..." have we already been through, and, yet, here we are.

I would like to know how it's possible a group of supposedly elite, competitive athletes just decides to give up at half time, being only 4 goals down?

There's must be some special kind of elite loser-ism being coached into them for that. I can't imagine any other finals club just giving up and not firing a shot, when the game is still there to be won.

Special stuff

They ultimately don't believe in what they're being asked to do, so as soon as they're proven right, they drop their bundle.

Still a finals game to play out. Things will change awfully fast if we win next week. A pass mark is making the grand final, which can still happen, but it is hard to believe that we will make it.

Also, the notion of paying out Hinkley is nauseating. He will have to walk and not get a payout. If he doesn’t walk, then the Board can suffer him for one more year.

As a side note. When Koch came, we were a financial basket case. We are stronger now financially, thanks to him. I still don’t think we want to waste money and pay Hinkley out.

But, then again, how many "there is no reasonable argument that can be made for Hinkley coaching... after..." have we already been through, and, yet, here we are.

That's the thing. People will argue that it's not the done thing to sack a coach mid finals, but no coach has ever lost 4 finals in a row in the manner we have under the same coach.

SAME AGAIN KEN, that is the headline in today's Murdoch Press. Good to see the press applying the blow torch but will it make any difference to Koch and his know nothing mates? Hopefully other sections of the media will join the chorus.

What is particularly galling is the, 'we have learned from last year's straight sets exit' message that was put about by Connor Rozee and the players and coaching staff in the week leading up to last night's debacle. I believe the fact that last night's performance proves otherwise is what the Advertiser scribes are getting at.

What I am having trouble with is my own expectations in the days leading up to last night. I actually thought we had a real shot at it after our performances over the previous six weeks. We had flogged the top side, beaten the then second side on their home deck and also beaten two other finals contenders and our cross town rivals. I fell for the hype put about in the media with the colour centre spreads and player comments. It is like some gorgeous woman coming into your bed and you wake next morning with your credit cards and identity stolen during the night.

What a fool I was, I fell for it- never again while these people are running the club.

That's the thing. People will argue that it's not the done thing to sack a coach mid finals, but no coach has ever lost 4 finals in a row in the manner we have under the same coach.

Mate, I'm a soccer-minded Brazilian. I would have sacked him midway the 2017 season, with Port FIFTH on the ladder, just because he lead us in a humiliating Showdown defeat. I don't care that "it never happened in Australian football".

There are things that simply cannot happen. When they do, someone must be held accountable; if not only to make a point - "this is inexcusable".

Much as I am grateful for Chewy's positive insights, it's very distressing that we would wait until we'd thrown away another season before taking action.

We probably don't have much choice now but to rebuild in some areas, and we have no draft capital.

Can't believe this thread hasn't rolled over yet. The only pleasure on waking this morning was to see what the new one is called, and we're not even there yet :(.
61 posts to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We aren't going to win next week. Not going to even get close, it will be another embarassing flogging.

To this end, I'm happy to see Hinkley coach his last game next week. Protect Carr from a catastrophic loss and hand Hinkley the legacy of having his last two games at the club being complete shit shows.

Carr has a lot of different ideas as to how the Club's footy department should be run. If he gets the job as expected, it will be a very good thing.

I'm not going to go into details, but one thing Carr wants to re-establish in the Club from a culture perspective is taking the sterility out of the footy department and foster an environment where the Club's coaches and players are embracing the history and high expectations that come with playing for the Port Adelaide Football Club.

We will be in fine hands with him running the show.
Thanks. That would be a good start.

The "200+ post" Club

11 people have already reached the threshold. gbear is back!

1. gbear, 323 [247]
2. tribey, 271 [249]
3. philreich, 252 [237]
4. sobrave, 242 [220]
5. TazD, 223 [207]
6. EskimoPAFC, 222 [204]
7. Doctor Feel, 215 [---]
8. PowerLil, 213 [---]
9. KrispyKremeMullanikka, 212 [---]
10. Us against the rest, 209 [204]
11. rogerjames, 202 [202]

9,947 posts in [8,957]

I can't imagine a scenario in which Carr is not the next senior coach of the Club.
I know that people want to see an external search occur - and I completely understand the logic in that. I also know how highly regarded Carr is within AFL circles. He knocked back Richmond when he had that job - and he knocked back West Coast when he was I'm told, favourite for that job as well.

I don't think we'll ever see an environment again where the players front up to the front bar after a game.

This is a really good question.

Practically, there are a few ways that this can play out. I'm not going to go into all of them, but for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume they bow out in straight sets next week.

I have long said that if he were to leave it would be a mutual parting of ways. The Club are not going to publicly humiliate Ken on the way out. It's just not a good business decision (although it would please many bloodthirsty fans).

Then comes the payout. He's got one year left on his deal and I'm pretty certain he also has a trigger for a one-year extension should the Club win a flag this year or next. To my knowledge, the Club is only responsible for paying out 2025 on his contract - not any potential trigger year. If West Coast come for Hinkley, that would potentially reduce any payout in 2025 to zero.

The people who are going to make the final decision on Hinkley is the Footy Committee. This consists of Richo, Cardone, Cassisi, Snowdon, Tredrea, Cripps and CD (I think that's all of them, if I've missed anyone I apologise as it's late and I'm exhausted). I'll be frank when I say I don't know if the decision to sack Ken would need to be unanimous. I know that there are people on that committee (key word being "people") that want Ken gone yesterday. So if they keep him for 2025 it certainly won't be a unanimous decision. Based on what I've been told over the course of this season, I would expect that if Hinkley is sacked, the decision would be a unanimous one both publicly and privately. Granted, I haven't spoken to everyone on the Footy Committee though, so I can't tell you with the utmost certainty of what's going on in their minds.

Once the Footy Committee make a decision on Ken, it then goes to the Board who ratifies the decision. It is essentially a rubber stamp exercise.

As for Koch - he's not going to get involved in the decision outside of rubber stamping the decision made by the Committee. I know David is an easy target for us all, but to his credit, he leaves footy decisions to be made by footy people - he knows how to stay in his lane in that regard. He no doubt has an opinion on what's going on with Ken - and I am not going to speak for David on the matter because that's not my place, but I know how desperate he is to win a premiership, and I can't envisage a scenario anymore in which anyone can rightly think that Ken is the right person to achieve that feat in 2025 at the Club as its senior coach.

Once Ken is gone I'll have more to share on why I've been so bullish the last few months - but for now let's just let this play out for the time being. I just hope the playing list isn't scarred from performances like tonight just like they were after the 2007 Grand Final.
There is a time and a place for a strong board to take control of a decision.

If rhe footy committee don't sack Ken then this is it.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back