Opinion Sack Hinkley 11 - Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine a scenario in which Carr is not the next senior coach of the Club.
I know that people want to see an external search occur - and I completely understand the logic in that. I also know how highly regarded Carr is within AFL circles. He knocked back Richmond when he had that job - and he knocked back West Coast when he was I'm told, favourite for that job as well.

I don't think we'll ever see an environment again where the players front up to the front bar after a game.

This is a really good question.

Practically, there are a few ways that this can play out. I'm not going to go into all of them, but for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume they bow out in straight sets next week.

I have long said that if he were to leave it would be a mutual parting of ways. The Club are not going to publicly humiliate Ken on the way out. It's just not a good business decision (although it would please many bloodthirsty fans).

Then comes the payout. He's got one year left on his deal and I'm pretty certain he also has a trigger for a one-year extension should the Club win a flag this year or next. To my knowledge, the Club is only responsible for paying out 2025 on his contract - not any potential trigger year. If West Coast come for Hinkley, that would potentially reduce any payout in 2025 to zero.

The people who are going to make the final decision on Hinkley is the Footy Committee. This consists of Richo, Cardone, Cassisi, Snowdon, Tredrea, Cripps and CD (I think that's all of them, if I've missed anyone I apologise as it's late and I'm exhausted). I'll be frank when I say I don't know if the decision to sack Ken would need to be unanimous. I know that there are people on that committee (key word being "people") that want Ken gone yesterday. So if they keep him for 2025 it certainly won't be a unanimous decision. Based on what I've been told over the course of this season, I would expect that if Hinkley is sacked, the decision would be a unanimous one both publicly and privately. Granted, I haven't spoken to everyone on the Footy Committee though, so I can't tell you with the utmost certainty of what's going on in their minds.

Once the Footy Committee make a decision on Ken, it then goes to the Board who ratifies the decision. It is essentially a rubber stamp exercise.

As for Koch - he's not going to get involved in the decision outside of rubber stamping the decision made by the Committee. I know David is an easy target for us all, but to his credit, he leaves footy decisions to be made by footy people - he knows how to stay in his lane in that regard. He no doubt has an opinion on what's going on with Ken - and I am not going to speak for David on the matter because that's not my place, but I know how desperate he is to win a premiership, and I can't envisage a scenario anymore in which anyone can rightly think that Ken is the right person to achieve that feat in 2025 at the Club as its senior coach.

Once Ken is gone I'll have more to share on why I've been so bullish the last few months - but for now let's just let this play out for the time being. I just hope the playing list isn't scarred from performances like tonight just like they were after the 2007 Grand Final.
After all the supporter base has been though, framing it as a mutual parting of ways while still paying out a contract is ****ing pathetic.

beautiful happy endings GIF

At this stage there simply must be.

I like what Chewy says about Carr but to promote another internal appointment without a proper search after so many years of yes men and same shit would be stupid.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

See if the club was run probably with people who knew a scooby doo of what to do; they would have done an external search a long time ago instead of getting it to the outcome of tonight’s game. They should have let Ken go after Brisbane and then given Josh he’s chance to put his fingerprints on the squad so they would have had the time to find out whether Josh would be a success or not, but as always we have to find ourselves being here.

I wish Josh the best of luck, and I think he can get us to the promise land, and if I were hiring and firing, Josh would come in for satan son, Ken. However, there is a fear now going into 2025 and potentially beyond that if Josh isn’t the man to take us forward, then we’re going to be in a world of pain, such pain that I don't know what to even know how that will feel like.

Last edited:
I can't imagine a scenario in which Carr is not the next senior coach of the Club.
I know that people want to see an external search occur - and I completely understand the logic in that. I also know how highly regarded Carr is within AFL circles. He knocked back Richmond when he had that job - and he knocked back West Coast when he was I'm told, favourite for that job as well.

I don't think we'll ever see an environment again where the players front up to the front bar after a game.

Practically, there are a few ways that this can play out. I'm not going to go into all of them, but for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume they bow out in straight sets next week.

I have long said that if he were to leave it would be a mutual parting of ways. The Club are not going to publicly humiliate Ken on the way out. It's just not a good business decision (although it would please many bloodthirsty fans).

Then comes the payout. He's got one year left on his deal and I'm pretty certain he also has a trigger for a one-year extension should the Club win a flag this year or next. To my knowledge, the Club is only responsible for paying out 2025 on his contract - not any potential trigger year. If West Coast come for Hinkley, that would potentially reduce any payout in 2025 to zero.

The people who are going to make the final decision on Hinkley is the Footy Committee. This consists of Richo, Cardone, Cassisi, Snowdon, Tredrea, Cripps and CD (I think that's all of them, if I've missed anyone I apologise as it's late and I'm exhausted). I'll be frank when I say I don't know if the decision to sack Ken would need to be unanimous. I know that there are people on that committee (key word being "people") that want Ken gone yesterday. So if they keep him for 2025 it certainly won't be a unanimous decision. Based on what I've been told over the course of this season, I would expect that if Hinkley is sacked, the decision would be a unanimous one both publicly and privately. Granted, I haven't spoken to everyone on the Footy Committee though, so I can't tell you with the utmost certainty of what's going on in their minds.

Once the Footy Committee make a decision on Ken, it then goes to the Board who ratifies the decision. It is essentially a rubber stamp exercise.

As for Koch - he's not going to get involved in the decision outside of rubber stamping the decision made by the Committee. I know David is an easy target for us all, but to his credit, he leaves footy decisions to be made by footy people - he knows how to stay in his lane in that regard. He no doubt has an opinion on what's going on with Ken - and I am not going to speak for David on the matter because that's not my place, but I know how desperate he is to win a premiership, and I can't envisage a scenario anymore in which anyone can rightly think that Ken is the right person to achieve that feat in 2025 at the Club as its senior coach.

Once Ken is gone I'll have more to share on why I've been so bullish the last few months - but for now let's just let this play out for the time being. I just hope the playing list isn't scarred from performances like tonight just like they were after the 2007 Grand Final.
If he had a modicum of self respect, or respect for the club he'd walk and not ask for a single cent of his final contracted year after everything he's fleeced us for.

Last edited:
See if the club was run probably with people who were a scooby doo of what to do; they would have done an external search a long time ago of getting it to tonight. They should have let Ken go after Brisbane and then given Josh he’s chance to put his fingerprints on the squad so they would have had the time to find out whether Josh would be a success or not, but as always we have to find ourselves being here.

I wish Josh the best of luck, and I think he can get us to the promise land, and if I were hiring and firing, Josh would come in for satan son, Ken. However, there is a fear now going into 2025 and potentially beyond that if Josh isn’t the man to take us forward, then we’re going to be in a world of pain, such pain that I don't know what to even know how that will feel like.
This is why had to drop my membership and slowly take the emotion out of supporting the club, I have been doing this since 2017, it's the only reason I'm still here.
Hopefully if Hinkley is gone in a few weeks I can fully support the club again.

This is an absolute shocking indictment on the club, these decisions makers, and explains why we're in this position after 12 years.

It's not a bad business decision to sack a failed coach. By not "humiliating" Hinkley, they're just humiliating the themselves, the club and the fans, and potentially bedding in a losing culture for decades to come.

It's not hard to politely thank someone for their time but go in a different direction.

You've clearly got a mate in a key position there Chewy but their failure to act is an unforgivable disaster. There is no reasonable argument that can be made for Hinkley coaching the semi final after a 14 goal loss in a home EF, his 4th bad finals loss in a row.

If he had a modicum of self respect, or respect for the club he'd walk and not ask for a single cent of his final contracted year after everything he's fleeced us for.

He doesn't, he won't, and expecting him to walk is just excusing an utter failure of duty by the football committee who makes a decision on his employment. He needs to be sacked.

This is why had to drop my membership and slowly take the emotion out of supporting the club, I have been doing this since 2017, it's the only reason I'm still here.
Hopefully if Hinkley is gone in a few weeks I can fully support the club again.

Yeah, but as I mentioned in a potential scenario where Josh is a flop. Again, I pray not, but again, in the event where he is, then the world of hurt will be unfathomable and somehow will be even worse than what we are all feeling now, but it could have been and should of been avoided by giving Josh an opportunity earlier on in the season.

When Josh takes over, we have to hit the ground running because if we don’t again feel that world of pain they’ve been mentioning, we start feeling all of that, and again, I repeat, somehow it would be even worse than what we are feeling now.

I could not spot Hinkley on the sidelines that entire last quarter, nor when the final siren sounded. I could not spot him with the other coaches walking across the oval.
He darted across ahead of the rest of the coaches and players with his head down as quickly as he could down the race.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could not spot Hinkley on the sidelines that entire last quarter, nor when the final siren sounded. I could not spot him with the other coaches walking across the oval.

He knows his time is up. We are all in purgatory currently till the club gives him his marching orders.

His press conference explains why we have a soft underbelly. Every sentence was an attempt to shift responsibility from himself.

Or he would say one sentence semi-accepting responsilbility, before rambling for 2 minutes in an effort to spread that responsibility around and entreat the fans to remain resolute.

I enjoy most of your posts Chewy and this is in no way meant as a criticism of you, but Koch `leaving footy decisions to footy people' and `staying in his lane' doesn't tie in with some of his public comments, eg `I want to make Ken Hinkley a 10 year coach' which I believe he has doubled down on, or his more recent `I have a football club to run,' which could be construed as being a tad over the top as there is no way any AFL club could be a one man show, so he often comes across as someone who needs to not only be important but also has to be seen to be important, and the `desperate to win a premiership' stuff could be as much about padding his own CV than anything else.

It is possible he has been reined in since he made those comments which you may be aware of more than most, and I have to admit to being biased as I absolutely detest the bloke, but I'm of the opinion he is the least Port Adelaide person we have ever had in the president's role in the history of the club and we can be a better club without him, as well as Hinkley, and a number of others!

Last edited:
Tredrea absolved Koch of responsibility and accountability tonight, and I spewed. Koch should not remain as president. He can still help the club without being president.

This is fine if we're holding someone else accountable, but as usual, we're not!

It's nobody's fault apparently. Nobody gets sacked for the extension and subsequent performances. We just keep asking the same group of blokes what they think about it despite their complete and total incompetence.

If the club aren't willing to hold anyone accountable, then we have no option but to go all the way to the top and blame Koch.

Tredrea absolved Koch of responsibility and accountability tonight, and I spewed. Koch should not remain as president. He can still help the club without being president.

No way would Kochie pump his own money into the club in a sponsorship deal or even as a secret or silent partner.

Chewy keeps talking about people in the club wanting to do something and positioning for it and expecting it to happen etc.

Why the **** are we still waiting? Do something! Who exactly is stopping us from sacking him?

4 horrendous finals losses in a row, 3 since the extension. How does he survive tonight?

I know it's not normal to sack a coach mid finals but it's also not normal to employ one who keeps getting absolutely clowned in them either.

Why give him another final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back