Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd fustrating game in a row after we let another winable game slip. However, need to keep things in perspective that this was always going to be an up & down year with the number of yougnsters in the team. Top-4 is still possible, but unlikely, though we still should finish where I expected pre-season in the bottom part of the top-8. It's just we got teased into thinking we were a top-4 team with our start, but the reality is the top-3 teams gap the rest, but at least we are on an upward curve.

On the game, the stars didn't align for a few reasons.

1. Think the Hawks game took a fair bit out of the side.

2. We got smashed in the clearances & Maric's injury didn't help. However, our reliance on Thompson is noticeable, because when he has a quiet one, we struggle. Need a fit Reilly to help out & clearly last night he was not 100%. VB & Douglas had quiter nights (remember they are still only young). Too many midfielders down on form.

3. Goodwin & McLeod both had stinkers & their respective form of late is a concern. With Macca I think it is a mental thing when he is in a form slump & doesn't appear to try hard enough to shake a tight tag. Not sure what is wrong with Goody at the moment, but his game is right off at the moment.

4. Burton usually struggles after coming back & Gill can be excused for his 1st game back. Our forward line actually looked dangerous at times when the ball was moved in quickly, but our movement forward for most of the night was shocking & didn't help their cause.

Hopefully this break has come at the right moment to freshen the players up who are carrying niggles. One thing is for sure, we can't afford to take in too many underdone players against the Cats, as we will need an even contribution to be cometitive.

Still feeling positive we can finish this season off well & given the length of the season & youngsters, not a t all surprised we are having a flat spot.

2nd fustrating game in a row after we let another winable game slip. However, need to keep things in perspective that this was always going to be an up & down year with the number of yougnsters in the team. Top-4 is still possible, but unlikely, though we still should finish where I expected pre-season in the bottom part of the top-8. It's just we got teased into thinking we were a top-4 team with our start, but the reality is the top-3 teams gap the rest, but at least we are on an upward curve.

2. We got smashed in the clearances & Maric's injury didn't help. However, our reliance on Thompson is noticeable, because when he has a quiet one, we struggle. Need a fit Reilly to help out & clearly last night he was not 100%. VB & Douglas had quiter nights (remember they are still only young). Too many midfielders down on form.

3. Goodwin & McLeod both had stinkers & their respective form of late is a concern. With Macca I think it is a mental thing when he is in a form slump & doesn't appear to try hard enough to shake a tight tag. Not sure what is wrong with Goody at the moment, but his game is right off at the moment.

4. Burton usually struggles after coming back & Gill can be excused for his 1st game back. Our forward line actually looked dangerous at times when the ball was moved in quickly, but our movement forward for most of the night was shocking & didn't help their cause.

Hopefully this break has come at the right moment to freshen the players up who are carrying niggles. One thing is for sure, we can't afford to take in too many underdone players against the Cats, as we will need an even contribution to be cometitive.

Still feeling positive we can finish this season off well & given the length of the season & youngsters, not a t all surprised we are having a flat spot.

I'm in agreeance with most of that. If we can finish 5th or 6th and get a home final we should be very satisfied. We're a long way off Geelong/Bulldogs/Hawthorn at the moment, and only time will tell how we match up against Collingwood and Sydney away.

Test 1 (Hawthorn): FAIL
Test 2 (Brisbane Lions): FAIL

Once again we had the chance to win the game and we blew it. When it was time to lift intensity, we went slower. For the second week running, I'm wondering whether the players wanted to win or simply get pats on the back from Neil Craig for sticking to the team plan no matter whether we win or lose.

Next up Geelong. If we play like we have the past two weeks we could be in for quite a heavy loss.

Some good points Kane although don't think it was the Hawks game ....we have been getting progressively flatter for about a month .....both Richmond & Freo we were out of the contest well into the 3rd qtrs and you could easily say they lost those games.

But it is a developmental year as long as we do not lose sight of that .........like we did with our promise of a more attacking gameplan this year ;)

2nd fustrating game in a row after we let another winable game slip.

Frustrating yes, but is not as if we are not used to it.

This is the thrid game this season we have lost after leading at 3/4 time.

In fact in the Neil Craig era I think now we have lost something like 7 games after leading at 3/4 time yet have only won the once after trailing.

Obviously this is also reflected in our inability to win the close ones.

This is starting to look a lot like last year (ie we get off to a good start in the year, then turn defensive and start getting smashed) only this time it's the Vinces, Doughtys and Porplyzias who are carrying the team and the Goodwins and Mcleods who are disappointing. A bit of a role reversal this time.

We really need either Massie or Symes on a HBF (to replace the out of form Stevens) as they both add a lot of run to our game. If Hentschel pulls up okay next week, then he could be brought in to replace Jericho. If not, then Kenny to the goalsquare where he doesn't have to run seeing as Tippet hasn't been kicking goals for a while.

I don't know what to do with Macca, Goody or Reilly as all 3 are really struggling atm.

I dont believe its all doom and gloom. Last night it was, but the sun rose today !

Still have players to come into the team to make a substantial difference, we were flat after last weeks game and had a few passengers in the Brisbane game.

I just hope one of two things happen in the next fortnight:

1) We PRACTICE kicking for goals a lot more, (hell invite Power supporters to boo the players when they have shots for goal at training, lol)

And 2) We throw everything at the Cats, including the kitchen sink.

A victory against them will boost the confidence and morale around the entire club. It would hold us in good stead should we make it in September.

I think Symes in for Stevens and Trent (to the goal score) in as well for the next match. Bassett is coming to the end of his fantastic career and he must be released sooner rather than later.

I would love the club to treat this match as a mini final.

Guys I went to the game and a few things that were very obvious:
  • Brisbane out-tackled us. All the crows around me were absolutely fuming with every tackle that didnt stick from our players where as Brisbane had us under pressure the whole game.
  • Something that the crows are best at is rebounding from defence. There was no run from stiffy or macca or anyone coming out of the the 50. Just kicks backwards and long kicks to contests on the wings made it very hard for our forwards.
  • A crazy amount of kicks to Brisbane players was just unacceptable. I felt sorry for Gill, Burton, Tippet who had absolutely no comparison of the delivery Brown and Clark was getting.
  • Rutten beat Brown, Clark beat Bock. I think i saw 3 one on ones with bock and clark with clark taking a mark every time.
  • To be honest we should have lost by more with the amount of points brisbane got but i found a big positive to be vince and doughty. Only players in the midfield that had any heart last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad but true Bunji. There reputations are suffering a collective loss this year. But what i cannot stomach is a lack of intensity at the contest and absolutely zero accountability to defend. That is primarily the difference between us and the top sides at the moment...22 committed team players.

I agree re your point re Johncock. Some time in the middle. It is time to take a punt on pure ability and risk a junior based on a hunch. Big call but i would be upgrading Patrenko for the back pocket, and Stiffy further afield.

I'm all in favour of upgrading Patrenko and playing him in the back pocket, seems a perfect fit and from all acounts (I have never seen him play) he is someone capable of stepping up and has all the attributes to be a great player.

Having said that, I can't see it happening, i can't recall the last time a rookie was upgraded and actually got a game??

I'm all in favour of upgrading Patrenko and playing him in the back pocket, seems a perfect fit and from all acounts (I have never seen him play) he is someone capable of stepping up and has all the attributes to be a great player.

Having said that, I can't see it happening, i can't recall the last time a rookie was upgraded and actually got a game??

Yeah i can't see it happening either.

A realistic move that i think should be made is McLeod to the back pocket.

He is playing lazy, outside footy at present with minimal effectiveness (one of many whose attacking instincts have disappeared with the sideways gameplan). He cannot shake the tag from wing/HB. A move to the forward line at present would simply give him a more dedicated tag, less opportunities, and his defensive efforts up forward are likely to be as poor as they have up field. Also, he seems frightened to have a ping at the sticks when the opportunity presents.

In the back pocket, he will be forced to be accountable and defensive when required. If he isn't it will stick out like dogs balls. When he has that down pat, we then need to see his attacking flair slicing through their forward 50 to give quick, direct rebound. At present only Vince seems capable of long, direct rebound. We need McLeod and Bock to get back to helping him out.

This move releases Johncock upfield to the McLeod role of HBF with bursts thru the middle.

On tonights game, and whilst he had a great game and Ill take nothing away from him, when Doughty was our best by far we were in trouble.

just a small point.

if we have a game where someone who delivers 38 Disp, 9 marks, 2 clearances, 8 tackles, 8 reb 50's and isn't our best player then we have done rather well.

forget the name, that was one of the better performances (from anyone) this year.

geez who is that woman, got herself a voice that would make dogs cry.

That is Melanie Mclachlan. If you don't have Foxtel do yourself a favour and get it for your daily dose of Mel. She is intelligent, very knowledeable about most sports and not to mention stunningly beautiful. I am living in hope that a Ralph or FHM spread is not to far around the corner.

You are legend.

Thanks I have not seen the game at all. Wish there was more highlights.

When you live in the Eastern States and dont have access to Foxtel your screwed.

I got reports from the Port, Carlton, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne, West Coast (2nd time) and Hawthorn game if you wanna check them out.

That is Melanie Mclachlan. If you don't have Foxtel do yourself a favour and get it for your daily dose of Mel. She is intelligent, very knowledeable about most sports and not to mention stunningly beautiful. I am living in hope that a Ralph or FHM spread is not to far around the corner.

and a voice that would strip wallpaper.

ugliest accent I've heard, since erm, the last time I heard a queenslander speak lol :p :D

just a small point.

if we have a game where someone who delivers 38 Disp, 9 marks, 2 clearances, 8 tackles, 8 reb 50's and isn't our best player then we have done rather well.

forget the name, that was one of the better performances (from anyone) this year.

Without question. But he will always be young Mick to me. And young Mick will never be a game breaker.

Still have players to come into the team to make a substantial difference, we were flat after last weeks game and had a few passengers in the Brisbane game.

I think Symes in for Stevens and Trent (to the goal score) in as well for the next match.

I would love the club to treat this match as a mini final.

Who will make a SUBSTANTIAL difference?
Which ones out of Symes, Hentschel, Massie, Griffin or Moran:D

Nup, theres nothing here in the short term and thats when we need it...SHORT TERM.

Craigys got two weeks to get all of our sh!t together in one sock or we will spiral. Our skills needs honing and our leaders need to stand tall and put in. I wish we had an inspirational captain:rolleyes:

That was arguably our best team of the year so far and we still couldnt beat an ordinary Brisbane. They might have beaten us but hell, I dont think the Lions played all that well.

I have heaps of comments to add, but the most important being:

I wasn't as upset with this loss as I thought I would be. All week I thought we'd win but had a nagging suspicion in the back of my head that they would be flat because of the lack of rotations in last weeks game and that would ultimately cost us the game. I think I was right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The Brisbane Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back