Thoughts on Watters, his approach to season 2013, the rebuild and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was to guess.

Scott's said close enough wasn't good enough.

Players who got close feel disrespected, cause they hang their hats on almost.

Since then, every little thing that happens, including fisher being told off, becomes ammo for said players.

Said players have said to the club "him or us"

Club evidently freaking, and leaning towards "us" not him

Am I close?
If this was the case and not just a stupid rumour, it is about time the club showed some back bone and told the said players not to let the door hit them on the arse on the way out, 1 premiership in 140 years, tail has been wagging the dog for too long. Time to try something different.

St Kilda was forced to reassure Scott Watters his job was safe after a former long-serving Saints president claimed on Friday that he had been sacked.
Andrew Plympton, the well-connected president between 1993 to 2000, was being interviewed light heartedly at his table at the AFL Players Association's Madden Medal lunch when he changed topic and stunned the grand ballroom at Sofitel Melbourne by declaring Watters had been dumped two hours earlier.
"I hear that, that's the report I have got," he said.
When asked for any reason behind the sacking, Plympton said: "I am not sure. I am just talking to Leading Teams."
Advertisement
Seated at Plympton's table was Justin Peckett, the former Saint now working at Leading Teams.
Plympton later told Fairfax Media he had only been "joking".

I'm hearing he's going to get sacked.

Just like Kennett sacked Alastair Clarkson Just like then, don't believe every bit of malicious rubbish someone spreads.

This. Club > Players. St Kilda is bigger than *insert player here* and until we start acting like it we will always be the laughing stock. Trade, trade, trade thanks.

Can I double or triple like this one?

It's the offseason, we had to make headlines...

Scandals?

Well no, that's not the St Kilda we want.

Hmmm....

Infighting?

Lets give that a whirl.

Yes I'm frustrated btw :mad:

So it would be better for the club to get rid of Watters?

IMO if pelican is so divisive in terms of the club how can we keep him?

Anyone instituting change, whether it be Watters or Pelchen are bound to be divisive and ruffle feathers to some extent. The club needs change and to break out of the bubble. If the players don't like it, this is a great time of the year to voice your disapproval. Hands up, trade them out.

Reminds me of this comedic charmer:

3:00 - 3:10 sums him up.

Seriously, the man that we thought Butters was a better option than. Tells you something.

Out of interest, is it the board that reviews the position of head of football? If yes, why wasn't Pelchen sacked before Hutchison and Nettlefold left? Some serious questions must be asked.

Time to take a deep breath here guys. We hardly need the pitchforks and bonfires. A stupid comment made by an ex-President in an attempt at childish school boy humour. That doesn't warrant either attacking Watters, or now turning the blowtorch onto Pelchen.

If there is a disagreement between the two of them, so what. Workplaces are full of people that don't get on, but clearly still work effectively together. Pelchen is strong willed, hooray and thank god for that. Was Kennett strong willed? Is Eddie strong willed? Change is needed and the clubs interests always will trump any player, irrespective of who they are.

Andrew if you cant have a few of these
images

at your luncheon without saying something stupid then just stick to the water mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where there's smoke there's fire and there has been a lot of smoke coming out of Seaford lately

So we need to find the fire starter and tell them to pack their bags

Where there's smoke there's fire and there has been a lot of smoke coming out of Seaford lately

Was there a dwarf involved? Hmm.. Scott Watters isn't that tall..

Ah yes, good old Plympton.

Can still recall the embarrassed look on Rob Harvey's face on Brownlow night 1998 when asked about Alves being sacked... on Brownlow day.

Yep, good one Andy. Obviously - 15 years on -and your sense of timing hasn't improved.

I just don't get it, the start of the season was a disaster, injuries and a weird vendetta by the umpires ( I would love to sit down with Mr Geishen and review those games in their entirety - Seriously WTF ).
After all that the Saints end up more or less where the media expected.
So what is Watters allegedly doing wrong?

I don't like Watters. In his first year he said he was going to drive the side to success. He has failed.

He said he wouldn't play Kosi unless 100% fit. He did.

If Ross Lyon was coaching would we of finished 16th this year ???

There was bound to be tension between Pelchen and Watters regardless of their personalities because of where the club was at when they both arrived. If our form was a parabola, they took over at that point just after the top of the curve, right before it plummets straight down. A footy manager in that position is looking long term - he sees a 5-10 year rebuilding mission. A coach who starts at that point is desperately trying to pull the plane up in under 3 because he knows he can't survive more than three years of poor results.

The footy manager's timeline is the right one, so I think we need to accept that the coach is part of that process, he's not a saviour, he can't win us a premiership in two years and therefore we need to back him - and our other people - long term. Changing the people in the key roles is not the answer. We need to be disciplined and keep our eyes on the prize, which is a long way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Watters, his approach to season 2013, the rebuild and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back