• Jai Newcombe

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Blake Schlensog

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Tyson Stengle

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeman has been more dominant in the VFL than Tim Kelly was in the WAFL. Sign him up and play him this weekend against the needle froffers. Will be BOG.
VFL dominance is a tricky one
We had guys like Townsend and Miles who won the JJ Liston and absolutely tore the VFL apart as midfielders but we average at best AFL level mids
Townsend never even got a look in as an AFL mid likewise Gibbons at Carlton who also dominated the VFL for a number of years but is just an ok AFL level small forward

Granted Freeman comes from a better pedigree being a former top 10 draft pick but it still remains to be seen if he can make it at afl level

The Saints delisted him like 2 games after he made his debut for them when his injurys were seemingly behind him

Not saying we shouldn’t pick him or anything but can’t see him being a walk in best 22 player for us either

Gonne be interesting to see how it all plays out

I reckon this mid season draft should just be unrestricted free agent period eg you are free to pick up whover was overlooked or in the lower leagues. It then allows the potential draftee to choose where he goes so therefore it ends up being more of a fit for needs for both sides. If theres a bidding war then theres a bidding war no different to the start of the season.

Granted Freeman comes from a better pedigree being a former top 10 draft pick but it still remains to be seen if he can make it at afl level

The Saints delisted him like 2 games after he made his debut for them when his injurys were seemingly behind him

Not saying we shouldn’t pick him or anything but can’t see him being a walk in best 22 player for us either

Having discussed it with Saints supporting friends at the time, Nathan Freeman was effectively gifted two games last in the 2018 season to see if his game could reach "the next level" at AFL level compared to VFL standard. He's been out of the AFL system for 2 and a half years, but is an ideal "risk Vs reward" player because he understands the standards of an AFL club, could fit into training and our game plan quickly and could play the outside running role IF Edwards & Bolton are missing for long stints.

It's a "risk vs reward" pick whoever we take in my opinion and it would make more sense to pick someone who understands the AFL system and could play a role in September.

VFL dominance is a tricky one
We had guys like Townsend and Miles who won the JJ Liston and absolutely tore the VFL apart as midfielders but we average at best AFL level mids
Townsend never even got a look in as an AFL mid likewise Gibbons at Carlton who also dominated the VFL for a number of years but is just an ok AFL level small forward

Reasonable point but guys like Towner, miles etc that dominated the vfl but did F all in the afl were all slow as a wet week so couldn't keep up in the ones. Freeman apparently still has the burst of speed?

Reasonable point but guys like Towner, miles etc that dominated the vfl but did F all in the afl were all slow as a wet week so couldn't keep up in the ones. Freeman apparently still has the burst of speed?
That’s also a good point!
And as Mister M mentioned he has been in the AFL system before so would have a decent understanding of what being a full time AFL player means commitment wise

Another bloke I was just thinking about (I can’t remember his name or even if he is available)

Few years ago we had an ex Collingwood player signed up to our VFL side he was a key defender and pretty handy
I think he got picked up by st kilda or something during the pre season supplement period but I’m not sure if he still plays for them

Could be another option if the club wants some key defensive depth

That’s also a good point!
And as Mister M mentioned he has been in the AFL system before so would have a decent understanding of what being a full time AFL player means commitment wise

Another bloke I was just thinking about (I can’t remember his name or even if he is available)

Few years ago we had an ex Collingwood player signed up to our VFL side he was a key defender and pretty handy
I think he got picked up by st kilda or something during the pre season supplement period but I’m not sure if he still plays for them

Could be another option if the club wants some key defensive depth
BEN Marsh ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers choose Matt Parker in mid season draft

Back