Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs and Saints don't have flags.

Premiership in a 12nd team local league is very different to a flag in a national 18 team competition.

North Melbourne last flag was when they had a recruiting zone where they got Carey, Archer and co for free. Roos hasn't won a flag when drafting, trading, and free agency was the only way to build a list.
Ahhhh the Doggies won in 2016??

Geelongs current population is 250,000 and we have a very strong base down there with a mix of melbourne based members.

Do you think of the growth when you wipe out all the soccer fans and non footy people in general that north and bulldogs will be getting some huge chunk??

North and bulldogs will still have fan bases in melbourne, but they need to relocate to a growing regional area and build roots there. The population doesnt have to be in the millions if your thr only team in town playing 10 HA games.
The Ballarat population already support AFL clubs, have you considered that? Geelong has been in Geelong for over 150 years, they got Geelong all to themselves.

Yes but stadium deals = $$$. Even if they don’t move, Bulldogs playing more games in Ballarat, say 4, would be a good business decision. Ditto Saints and North finding a solid market for 4 games. North will need a new one and Saints aren’t in a financial position to scoff at selling home games.
Stadium’s cost money to build.

Yeah, keep the Vic clubs in Victoria, but move them further out.

Bulldogs to Ballarat fits like a glove, just have to figure out where in outer Victoria to put North and the Saints, even if it takes 10 years.

GWS could be rebooted as Canberra if they fail and the Suns in North Queensland if they fail.

No existing club has to fold or merge, but they should move. That move has to be close to their roots, though. GWS is the exception because of their ties to Canberra, and that’s only if they fail which they won’t.

Like you said, the new clubs deserve more time. Goodness knows the Saints, Roos, and Dogs have had over 100 years and are still here.
I think it makes the AFL more exciting spreading the teams out in vic across large regional growing areas instead of piling them all into the CBD. Its out dated and illogical

u realize that there will never be a situation where every club receives nothing or equal amounts of money though right, like I understand you're trying to get a raise out of certain supporters but if you take away every club that receives more than another, you don't have a competition. Is that your preference?
My preference is that my club getting a better share and Tasmania have to a team.

St Kilda getting $156m vs Fremantle's $99m over 10 years is seriously a joke. Richmond getting more funding than the Dockers is just wrong.

Blues in one year get $5m more funding than the Dockers. Carlton then makes a profit of $5m and Fremantle breaks even.

Tasmania get told they can't have team as it's not economically viable, yet St Kilda last year had 48% of their revenue from the AFL.

Ballarat with state gov assistance?
How much money do you think Ballarat has? And you expect Ballarat and the government to spend a fortune without taking a large slice of the stadium deal leaving it all to the club that plays there?

Think for a second.

If you took $2m off Melbourne, St Kilda, Footscay and North Melbourne, and increased other teams payments.
I was thinking, thinking about what you said, then you said the AFL take their cut, so what is it, the clubs get more, or the AFL do, do the AFL pay the clubs from their cut,would Collingwood get more if the AFL took a mill off Freo to make it even?

Does Sydney and Port need to go, as they take a fair bit more than a lot of clubs, they have also been around a long time?

The Ballarat population already support AFL clubs, have you considered that? Geelong has been in Geelong for over 150 years, they got Geelong all to themselves.
They support whoever they pick from the CBDc clubs. I am sure they would be ecstatic to have their own team and get behind it.

150 years... Yes.. Remember that figure the next time you hear people sulk and complain how geelong has some unfair advantage. We have done 150 years of grass roots work down there and deserve whatever comes our way for it.

If north or bulldogs have the balls to pull up stumps and say “after 100 years the same thing over and over isnt working” and relocate to ballarat or bendigo, then they can do the hard work over the next 50-100 years with the region and reep the rewards later on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much money do you think Ballarat has? And you expect Ballarat and the government to spend a fortune without taking a large slice of the stadium deal leaving it all to the club that plays there?
Ballarat is a marginal seat.

Seriously, Western Bulldogs playing interstate teams home games makes sense to me.

They support whoever they pick from the CBDc clubs. I am sure they would be ecstatic to have their own team and get behind it.

150 years... Yes.. Remember that figure the next time you hear people sulk and complain how geelong has some unfair advantage. We have done 150 years of grass roots work down there and deserve whatever comes our way for it.

If north or bulldogs have the balls to pull up stumps and say “after 100 years the same thing over and over isnt working” and relocate to ballarat or bendigo, then they can do the hard work over the next 50-100 years with the region and reep the rewards later on
I highly doubt people will jump off their life long club to support a life long rival club.

I always stick up for Geelong when people sulk about Geelong on here.

Who’s going fund the next 50 100 years of a club moving to Ballarat when are perfectly fine in the league as it is?

I was thinking, thinking about what you said, then you said the AFL take their cut, so what is it, the clubs get more, or the AFL do, do the AFL pay the clubs from their cut,would Collingwood get more if the AFL took a mill off Freo to make it even?

Does Sydney and Port need to go, as they take a fair bit more than a lot of clubs, they have also been around a long time?
Sydney and Port were 9th and 10th in terms of funding.

Syndey is a growing market and SA needs two teams.

Agreed. North, South ,East and Collingwood. :thumbsu:

and in 20 years time, Collingwood fans will be like Port fans are now.

Sad and pathetic, known only for their continuing whining and bitching because they've gone from being a big club to a small club and can't accept their new minnow status.

But you said other clubs get more if they get less, aren't they taking money from the clubs that get less?

Do you have a cut off point, or are you just making crap up as you go?

Lets see, you said the clubs make more than they get, but the AFL have to take their cut, so doesn't that mean that all clubs are doing ok?

I think you just like bashing Vic clubs, but the trouble is, Freo aren't really that good and no-one here in the biggest market in Australia wants to watch them.

But you said other clubs get more if they get less, aren't they taking money from the clubs that get less?

Do you have a cut off point, or are you just making crap up as you go?

Lets see, you said the clubs make more than they get, but the AFL have to take their cut, so doesn't that mean that all clubs are doing ok?

I think you just like bashing Vic clubs, but the trouble is, Freo aren't really that good and no-one here in the biggest market in Australia wants to watch them.
Who cares? Freo averaged the 8th highest crowd attendances (and that's home and away) last season, higher than North, Saints, Dogs, etc. Seems no one in the biggest market in the game wants to watch them either.

Can't speak for the other clubs but North have grown their membership base every year for the last 3-4 years. By definition that's a growing market
Fact is while the AFL makes money (and it makes plenty) there is no need for any club to go anywhere. They all play a role in making the comp money/growth. Those pushing for clubs to moved are just romantics or idiots.

Can't speak for the other clubs but North have grown their membership base every year for the last 3-4 years. By definition that's a growing market
Fact is while the AFL makes money (and it makes plenty) there is no need for any club to go anywhere. They all play a role in making the comp money/growth. Those pushing for clubs to moved are just romantics or idiots.
Why does the AFL keep trying to move North then? I know they have what, 50k members, and are debt free. That's great. So what's the issue? Is it the poor crowds? Or is it that the Tassie deal is making North $$$ and the AFL doesn't have a plan B for them to sell games yet after Tassie comes in? Seems a bit odd to me to try and **** North off to Gold Coast and then Tassie if all is good. I know they almost merged with Fitzroy and were offered a Canberra deal decades ago, too. Why does North need $18-19 million from the AFL instead of the baseline 10.5-11m then?

Last edited:
likewise remember the Bulldogs and their history, remember the impact they’ve had for their fans and developing grassroots in the western suburbs of Melbourne when people sulk wanting them to move to Ballarat

Why does the AFL keep trying to move North then? I know they have what, 50k members, and are debt free. That's great. So what's the issue? Is it the poor crowds? Or is it that the Tassie deal is making North $$$ and the AFL doesn't have a plan B for them to sell games yet after Tassie comes in? Seems a bit odd to me to try and * North off to Gold Coast and then Tassie if all is good. I know they almost merged with Fitzroy and were offered a Canberra deal decades ago, too.
When did the AFL try to send north to Tassy ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back