Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does the AFL keep trying to move North then? I know they have what, 50k members, and are debt free. That's great. So what's the issue? Is it the poor crowds? Or is it that the Tassie deal is making North $$$ and the AFL doesn't have a plan B for them to sell games yet after Tassie comes in? Seems a bit odd to me to try and * North off to Gold Coast and then Tassie if all is good. I know they almost merged with Fitzroy and were offered a Canberra deal decades ago, too. Why does North need $18-19 million from the AFL instead of the baseline 10.5-11m then?

AFL hasn't tried to move anyone for ~20 years now.

They lack the will to use the stick, and can't offer a carrot big enough (at least, not without the other clubs revolting).

When did the AFL try to send north to Tassy ?
Okay maybe not outright, but...

'Not the preferred option': AFL task force dismisses reports of moving North Melbourne to Tasmania

"I know that Tasmania is officially off the table with North Melbourne and I have no interest in resurrecting sending North To Tasmania, but this is a conversation that will not go away in the game's upper echelons," she said.

"This is something Gillon McLachlan continued to talk to [former North Melbourne president] Ben Buckley about.

"In fairness, Ben Buckley batted it back every time, they've got no interest.

"The new president, Dr Sonja Hood says she has no interest in Tasmania and still, as mounting presidents seem to be saying they won't be voting for a 19th team, North Melbourne comes up in that conversation."

She suggested the AFL would be looking at moving North Melbourne as a viable option."

I don't know, can I see the figures? Can't seem to find them anywhere. All I know is, they had better crowds than several minnow Vic clubs and received less funding than them from the AFL.
Maybe but they still get more funding than some clubs, is that too much?
If it's more than 1 club, is that taking money away from that club, that seems to be eastfreo's gripe?
How much is too much?

As far as I know, every club makes the AFL enough money for the league to be ok, so why do people have a gripe, an it always seems to be non- Vics doing the crying, not just this topic either, many topics.

I seriously don't know why some people don't go and follow a different sport, but they would probably just sook it up there also.

It seems more supporter driven. I heard when clubs were offered assistance packages during Covid, North didn’t take any. They’re sound financially
Correct. Simpletons like old mate that get all warm and fuzzy at the thought of a Tassie/Canberra/WA3 (lol) teams. As if they won't cost more money than what the smallest Vic clubs do now.

Okay maybe not outright, but...

'Not the preferred option': AFL task force dismisses reports of moving North Melbourne to Tasmania

"I know that Tasmania is officially off the table with North Melbourne and I have no interest in resurrecting sending North To Tasmania, but this is a conversation that will not go away in the game's upper echelons," she said.

"This is something Gillon McLachlan continued to talk to [former North Melbourne president] Ben Buckley about.

"In fairness, Ben Buckley batted it back every time, they've got no interest.

"The new president, Dr Sonja Hood says she has no interest in Tasmania and still, as mounting presidents seem to be saying they won't be voting for a 19th team, North Melbourne comes up in that conversation."

She suggested the AFL would be looking at moving North Melbourne as a viable option."
You are quoting Caro who has an holy hatred of the NMFC and has lied time and time again. Try again Lol

Maybe but they still get more funding than some clubs, is that too much?
If it's more than 1 club, is that taking money away from that club, that seems to be eastfreo's gripe?
How much is too much?

As far as I know, every club makes the AFL enough money for the league to be ok, so why do people have a gripe, an it always seems to be non- Vics doing the crying, not just this topic either, many topics.

I seriously don't know why some people don't go and follow a different sport, but they would probably just sook it up there also.
I never said it was too much, I just asked why North gets 18-19m a year from the AFL if they're doing so great? But all that other ****in knob could do was laugh instead of engage, even though I gave him a ****in quote from the North president suggesting the AFL would look at moving North as a viable option, which they didn't go through with.

But you said other clubs get more if they get less, aren't they taking money from the clubs that get less?
Do you have a cut off point, or are you just making crap up as you go?
Swans and Port over ten years has been given $117m and $122m vs Melbourne $132m, North Melbourne $134m, Footscray $139m and StKilda $156m.

Sorry its factual correct that 40% of Victorian clubs get more funding than Port and the Swans.

Cut off point? Teams in a developed market in the top third of funding. Yes, Melbourne technically doesn't match the criteria.

Lets see, you said the clubs make more than they get, but the AFL have to take their cut, so doesn't that mean that all clubs are doing ok?

I think you just like bashing Vic clubs, but the trouble is, Freo aren't really that good and no-one here in the biggest market in Australia wants to watch them.
Sure not all the clubs are doing. Why? Maybe 10 teams in one market is too much. Tasmania doesn't have a team because of funding, yet the Saints get 48% of revenue from the AFL.

Fremantle isn't a great club, yet we got the 5th bottom in terms of funding. Richmond got $6m more funding than Freo, Tigers make profits and Fremantle breaks even. If you think that pointing out the unbalanced funding is Vic bashing, then good luck to you.

Can't speak for the other clubs but North have grown their membership base every year for the last 3-4 years. By definition that's a growing market
Fact is while the AFL makes money (and it makes plenty) there is no need for any club to go anywhere. They all play a role in making the comp money/growth. Those pushing for clubs to moved are just romantics or idiots.
North Melbourne is taking market share that's very different to a developing market.

The reality is that North sells games to Tasmania and if the AFL bring in a Tassie team then the AFL will need to fund the Roos more to kept them afloat.

Having ten teams in Victoria has prevented a whole state having a team.

Swans and Port over ten years has been given $117m and $122m vs Melbourne $132m, North Melbourne $134m, Footscray $139m and StKilda $156m.

Sorry its factual correct that 40% of Victorian clubs get more funding than Port and the Swans.

Cut off point? Teams in a developed market in the top third of funding. Yes, Melbourne technically doesn't match the criteria.

Sure not all the clubs are doing. Why? Maybe 10 teams in one market is too much. Tasmania doesn't have a team because of funding, yet the Saints get 48% of revenue from the AFL.

Fremantle isn't a great club, yet we got the 5th bottom in terms of funding. Richmond got $6m more funding than Freo, Tigers make profits and Fremantle breaks even. If you think that pointing out the unbalanced funding is Vic bashing, then good luck to you.

How much of that money was simply compensation (clubs got a bad deal at docklands so the AFL could end up owning it), or passing funds on (docklands and MCG stadium deals have the AFL collecting money the clubs actually earn, and then pass it on to them)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could you please explain to me why 10 teams in 1 state is too many, just Tassie not getting a gig? What will be the reason if/when Tassie come in? as far as I know the tv rights generated by the 10 teams more than pays for itself, and as far as I know the Vic clubs generate more viewing than Freo does, so why get rid of a Vic side, when others generate less?

I know a lot of posters have ridiculed this idea, but I'll explain why it doesn't work.

1. The problem with teams like a Western Melbourne is where exactly west is. Is it south-west like say Werribee? Is it west-west like Sunshine? North-west like Essendon and beyond? I think one thing people who often think you can just divide Melbourne into five sections a la New York don't realise is how big Melbourne is. A greater western Melbourne covers a really large geographic area. An area and population bigger than Gold Coast and Geelong. It's currently serves by only two teams. The same issue relates to your south-eastern and northern teams.

2. A purely central team doesn't make a lot of sense especially if you've got a western, eastern and southern team. I would imagine that if you lived in the inner western suburbs, like, say, Footscray or Seddon, and the AFL started from scratch, never existed, you might support the western suburbs. That means a central team gets fans from the CBD, and the inner suburbs, which contain a high percentage of people who work/study here and then move elsewhere. They don't plan to live in the CBD for their whole life. In fact, most Melburnians don't. The CBD is a great place to visit but it has niche appeal to live in. Melbourne worked because they played at the MCG and developed a historical following among eastern suburbs people, especially before Hawthorn existed.

3. If you're going to ditch so many teams, it makes no sense to get rid of the brand's that exist. You want a western Melbourne team? Keep Essendon. You want a central team? Keep Melbourne or Carlton. You want an eastern suburbs team? Keep Hawthorn or Richmond. The only one you may want to change is maybe create south-eastern Melbourne team instead of the saints. You keep them because they have history and tens of thousands of fans. Getting rid of every team and then starting with four or five new teams will require the AFL promote five new teams all at once. That's a tough task.

4. Melbourne is one of the fastest growing parts of the country.

I highly doubt people will jump off their life long club to support a life long rival club.

I always stick up for Geelong when people sulk about Geelong on here.

Who’s going fund the next 50 100 years of a club moving to Ballarat when are perfectly fine in the league as it is?
Well lets all forget a club anywhere going off your logic because they all support a club anyway. No to tassie, no to a third perth team, no to canberra. No also to the idea of GWS/GC because they already supported sydney and Brisbane prior. I think you are underestimating how much locals will back a team placed in their area, and yes, jump ships as you call it.

If your idea of growth and development is that myopic then AFL expansion plans probably arent your go to. These things take a long time and it is a very long term vision that needs to be taken, not a 10-20 year one. 30-50 years to get a footy team up and running with a supporter base is quite reasonable and fair. It takes alot to get fans and memberships up and build those community roots. If you do this right, you will have a strong club for theoretically a few hundred years and more.

Last edited:
Well lets all forget a club anywhere going off your logic because they all support a club anyway. No to tassie, no to a third perth team, no to canberra. No also to the idea of GWS/GC because they already supported sydney and Brisbane prior. I think you are underestimating how much locals will back a team placed in their area, and yes, jump ships as you call it.
I said rival club, if you support against the Bulldogs all your life why would you jump on them? I’ve said the same thing about Tasmania, they should have their own club, not a relocated rival.

If your idea of growth and development is that myopic then AFL expansion plans probably arent your go to. These things take a long time and it is a very long term vision that needs to be taken, not a 10-20 year one. 30-50 years to get a footy team up and running with a supporter base is quite reasonable and fair. It takes alot to get fans and memberships up and build those community roots. If you do this right, you will have a strong club for theoretically a few hundred years and more.
if you look to the NFL wanting to expand to London, they want the fans their first, they don’t want to spend a fortune holding 50 years they have a fan base. Leagues don’t spend huge money putting teams in regions without fans for 50 years.

You want to spend huge money over 50 years to move the Bulldogs an hour up the road?
D0866730-35C2-4F32-A24C-A385DF6D8BF6.jpeg

Just on North Melbourne and Tassie, the Tassie AFL task force and indeed the majority of Taswegians have stated that they only want their only organic, start up AFL club with their own colours and Nickname, not a relocated club like North (or anyone else)

Just on North Melbourne and Tassie, the Tassie AFL task force and indeed the majority of Taswegians have stated that they only want their only organic, start up AFL club with their own colours and Nickname, not a relocated club like North (or anyone else)
Why are only Tasmanians of Glaswegian descent getting surveyed?

I said rival club, if you support against the Bulldogs all your life why would you jump on them? I’ve said the same thing about Tasmania, they should have their own club, not a relocated rival.

if you look to the NFL wanting to expand to London, they want the fans their first, they don’t want to spend a fortune holding 50 years they have a fan base. Leagues don’t spend huge money putting teams in regions without fans for 50 years.

You want to spend huge money over 50 years to move the Bulldogs an hour up the road?
View attachment 1605544
No not 50 years of nothing, you would have to have goals and growth along the way and the funding to keep them afloat with reduced feeding as the years go by. These things just naturally take time. GWS has 30,000 members after 12 years ( no idea how many of them are Mickey Mouse 1/2/3 game passes or how many are genuine).. same goes for Gold Coast after over a decade they only have 20,000 fans, which is chicken shit compared to the big clubs. Expansion ideas are slow and painful, unless you’re hitting a gold mine like WCE/FREO but that was from the WAFL and early days of the National expansion where entire footy fanatic states were absolutely crying out for a club. I don’t think we have any of these areas left unless tassie somehow turns out so which I doubt it..

Dogs and Saints don't have flags.

Premiership in a 12nd team local league is very different to a flag in a national 18 team competition.

North Melbourne last flag was when they had a recruiting zone where they got Carey, Archer and co for free. Roos hasn't won a flag when drafting, trading, and free agency was the only way to build a list.

Wrong, Carey was zoned to the Swans and shrewd talent scouting nabbed him and John Longmire in one go, Archer was recruited playing local footy at Noble Park, David King recruited from the VFA, Mark Roberts a Bears discard, Robert Scott a Geelong trade, Blakey a Fitzroy trade, Pike recruited after Fitzroy went **** up and no one else wanted him, Laidley an Eagles discard, Shannon Grant a Swans trade, McKernan Adam Simpson and Byron Pickett drafted like any other player, Mick Martyn and Brett Allison were father-son recruits and of course Peter Bell and Winston Abraham who were delisted by some tin pot start up franchise with a horrible jumper.

In what world is Ballarat a larger growth area than the western suburbs of Melbourne?

I know some supporters just want to kill clubs for whatever reason but please. The AFL is running fine. Most clubs aren't in debt and post profits every year.

Just madness to want to kill or move a club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to scrap all Vic clubs and create 3-4 mega Vic franchises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back