Play Nice Toby Greene and "protecting the space"

Remove this Banner Ad

It's just mealy mouthed crap from ex AFL players who theink they're bloody lawyers.

"They're allowed to protect their space".

Of course they are. But not with a fist, a foot, or a Glock. It's pretty ******* simple. Don't ******* kick.
Bigger issue for protecting space is scheduling the nrl game straight after the afl game.With Sharks and roosters supporters being boozed up heading in and swans supporters all pissed off going out it could have got real ugly.Didnt hear any reports though which is samazing.If swans gws rivalry continues to grow and after Allianz is rebuilt it could be like a Gangs of New York type scenario or maybe at least the Anchorman version

It's just mealy mouthed crap from ex AFL players who theink they're bloody lawyers.

"They're allowed to protect their space".

Of course they are. But not with a fist, a foot, or a Glock. It's pretty ******* simple. Don't ******* kick.

Yeah, but there is a qualifying part to your statement, ex AFL players, because they know what it was like back in the day when they had players like Mick Martin running at them.

Seriously, what would you do if you had Mick Martin running at you like this?

283821_d49e60ce24a94ec73411fdd0c4afa5da.jpeg

Yeah, but there is a qualifying part to your statement, ex AFL players, because they know what it was like back in the day when they had players like Mick Martin running at them.

Seriously, what would you do if you had Mick Martin running at you like this?

283821_d49e60ce24a94ec73411fdd0c4afa5da.jpeg
Not much effort by Mick to chase there, i wonder why? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is he protecting the space or kicking players coming at him? Has done it twice in the Sydney final and also kicked the Bulldogs player in the head.

Should more be done to stamp it out or play on?

Not a great look for the game,also
I wonder if a player was indiscriminately throwing fists around to clear some space in a marking contest, would it be legal providing he had eyes for the ball?
I wouldn’t think so... so why is a kick any different.

He’s a grub.

Between this, the kicking, his snipe on Caleb Daniel last year, his bizarre attack on that swans player in a pre-season match and his off field antics we are clearly discussing an individual with a few issues.

I went to watch the GWS vs Sydney match at Zagames in Boronia on Saturday. There's some big guy sitting 3rd from the front all hyped and cheering on GWS. I start talking to some people near me and one guy informs me that the guy cheering on GWS in is in fact Toby Greene's father. He says he's got a bad reputation for losing his cool, throwing chairs around, getting into fights with people and that he's a bit nutty.

On a few occasions when Greene did something or was near the play we would shout out "GO TOBY!!!" and his old man would turn around all happy that we were cheering on his boy. He seemed to really enjoy when Toby did those fend-offs with his boot.

I've already heard rumblings that Toby had a tough upbringing. My best friends girlfriend went to the same school as him and said he was a real trouble maker.

I went to watch the GWS vs Sydney match at Zagames in Boronia on Saturday. There's some big guy sitting 3rd from the front all hyped and cheering on GWS. I start talking to some people near me and one guy informs me that the guy cheering on GWS in is in fact Toby Greene's father. He says he's got a bad reputation for losing his cool, throwing chairs around, getting into fights with people and that he's a bit nutty.

On a few occasions when Greene did something or was near the play we would shout out "GO TOBY!!!" and his old man would turn around all happy that we were cheering on his boy. He seemed to really enjoy when Toby did those fend-offs with his boot.

I've already heard rumblings that Toby had a tough upbringing. My best friends girlfriend went to the same school as him and said he was a real trouble maker.
I hate to judge someone too soon without really knowing what happened in there upbringing and behind closed doors.
But I’m also pretty tired of hearing the sob stories of expensive private school educated spoilt silver spooners that just have a bad attitude and a sense of entitlement.
I.E. .... Toby Greene

I'm a latecomer to the thread (been in Outback NSW, work) so if I repeat points, apologies.

I hate the Greene leg-up, sprigs-out action --- it's ugly, dangerous and being copied now by kids all over Oz. In an online article one bloke who coaches Junior footy observed that his kids are all ready practising it. I couldn't believe Greene didn't get weeks for the Dalhaus incident.
The idea that he's "protecting the space" is ludicrous --- a disingenuous defence. Greene can protect his space by fending (legal: Dusty has it down to an Art) or by clever/better positioning (also legal, showing skill eg hip-to-hip).

I'm waiting for one of his opponents to protect their own space by grabbing his leg and dumping him (which would give away a free kick, or worse), or giving his boot or lower leg a little wax-off treatment ;).
Jokes aside, the rule-makers have got to make sure it's eradicated by being heavily punished. Free kick, + weeks off if it's as bad as the Dalhaus incident.
hyperbole qua hyperbole

#savetobygreene
#orca
#thatsadolphinnotawhale
#killerwhale
#thatlldo
#noanorcaisawhale
#killerorca

hyperbole qua hyperbole
Oh, what? o_O
Well, "quod erat demonstratum" right back atcha, with an "audere est facere" to boot. ;) (which is just as ridiculous)
The Naming Fallacy occurs when people name something as if by naming it they're making a point or a well-constructed argument.
Your "hyperbole qua hyperbole" is meaningless until you explain what it means, how it's relevant, and makes some point.

But, gee, it felt goooood when you posted it, didn't it? :poo: :D:D

Toby had a tough upbringing. My best friends girlfriend went to the same school as him and said he was a real trouble maker.
Those poor WesleyCollege kids

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/t...b/news-story/d0acb1ac777da3199ad5a90ed35adc37

Although Giants list manager Stephen Silvagni and others had Greene in the mix, Scully had been a long-time fan of the midfielder.

He had watched Greene closely at Wesley College and saw him as capable of having a major impact.

Scully, father of GWS boom recruit Tom, has been widely ridiculed for not being capable of having a meaningful role.

This will sort itself out really quickly. AFL defenders know when they are caught in front of the drop zone, now they will expect him to raise the leg and they will push the leg away as they move back, especially when the rules require them to watch the ball coming in. Blind turn and a leap up to the contest and poor Toby's leg has been move aside, he is now off balance and if he is unlucky gets a defender's knee in the adductor to go on with.

The game will sort itself out.

This will sort itself out really quickly. AFL defenders know when they are caught in front of the drop zone, now they will expect him to raise the leg and they will push the leg away as they move back, especially when the rules require them to watch the ball coming in. Blind turn and a leap up to the contest and poor Toby's leg has been move aside, he is now off balance and if he is unlucky gets a defender's knee in the adductor to go on with.

The game will sort itself out.

Defenders will be penalised for holding,tripping,unrealistic attempt or hands in the back if they touch his leg.

I start talking to some people near me and one guy informs me that the guy cheering on GWS in is in fact Toby Greene's father. He says he's got a bad reputation for losing his cool, throwing chairs around, getting into fights with people and that he's a bit nutty.
his old man would turn around all happy that we were cheering on his boy. He seemed to really enjoy when Toby did those fend-offs with his boot.

POOR TOBY “JUST ONE OF THE BOYS”, FAMILY PROCLAIMS

By Faroline Billson, Chief Feminis….. Chief Football Scriber

13 September 2018

www.thebeige.com.au/sport

The family of GWS player Toby Greene has come to the defence of their precious son, following a street-level revolt of his alleged scumbag like behaviour on the footy field.

The Wesley College raised Melbournian, who scoffed at rumours of white-male privilege, and a “who you know” mindset, to plough his way into Luke Dalhaus….. I mean…… AFL elitisim, by admitting that he had held talks with boot manufacturers, about how to make sharper boot studs.

“You know, I had a rough upbringing, the public doesn’t know it, but I remember the day that Mum and Dad had a fight as to whether to buy the Ford Explorer, or a BMW X5. No kid should experience that”, exclaims Greene, as we sit having a coffee at the Guylan Coffee shop located at Circular Quay on a Sunny Sydney September Sunday.

“Further, knowing Phil Scully, the Head Recruiter at GWS, did not mean that I had an advantage over good footy players located in say, Mildura or Geraldton. I mean, I couldn’t even find Geraldton on a map if you sponsored me to.” Screams Greene, as a Swans supporter was walking by and yelled “you’re a thug, for showing studs” to Greene, a comment which Greene dismisses with ease.

“My Dad read the AFL rule book, you know, the one amended after June 20, 2018, and told me that, if I show my studs, that I won’t get reported. I honestly can’t see anything wrong with it.” Proclaims Greene, as GWS General manager of Football, Simon Katich, says to me discretely “You know, my Grandad copped heaps in Perth, when he arrived from Croatia. But you know, Toby Greene, is rich white and Anglo, and a “good bloke”, and we at GSW love him to bits, he can stay as long as he wants with us.”

Once Toby sips his latte, and walks off towards the Opera House for a few photos with his dog, Dollars and Sense, he finally says “My Wesley upbringing, and knowing Tom Scully’s Dad, didn’t help me at all to become a better footballer. It was sheer hard work, and a dedication to all Australians… black, white, Asian, educated at Dandenong Tech…. it does not matter. I am a man of the people, and I intend to make them proud of me.”

It was at this point the meeting concluded.

Written by Faroline Billson (no relation to Bruce Billson ex Liberal MP).

The more replays I see of Greene using his extended leg and sprigs to "protect his space", the more I don't like it :mad:.

I'm not knocking his ability; that goal he snapped in traffic vs Sydney last week was brilliant :rainbow: and he does it often.
The leg-out kick is not in the spirit of our game. It's bloody dangerous. He could have taken out one of Dalhaus' eyes ffs and kids are imitating it all over Oz.
I'm hoping the AFL have had a quiet word to GWS to pass onto Greene that
--- it won't be tolerated, because what they tolerate they'll get more of
--- the umpires will clamp down on it as dangerous, giving a free, + 50m if he argues with them about it.

I wish! :rolleyes:
The AFL have got to stamp it out.

The more replays I see of Greene using his extended leg and sprigs to "protect his space", the more I don't like it :mad:.

I'm not knocking his ability; that goal he snapped in traffic vs Sydney last week was brilliant :rainbow: and he does it often.
The leg-out kick is not in the spirit of our game. It's bloody dangerous. He could have taken out one of Dalhaus' eyes ffs and kids are imitating it all over Oz.
I'm hoping the AFL have had a quiet word to GWS to pass onto Greene that
--- it won't be tolerated, because what they tolerate they'll get more of
--- the umpires will clamp down on it as dangerous, giving a free, + 50m if he argues with them about it.

I wish! :rolleyes:
The AFL have got to stamp it out.

the simple test is whether the umpires would call a free if a defender guarded space or kicked the forward as part of the spoil

it'll be interesting to see how it's interpreted this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Toby Greene and "protecting the space"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back