Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, Malifice

Let's just agree to disagree

You are 99.9% certain that Greene deliberately bumped the umpire in an aggressive, demonstrative, disrespectful manner and you think he should be suspended for 3,4,5 weeks

I am 99.9% certain there was nothing in it and people are jumping at shadows

Neither of us are going to change each other's mind. So let's kick back and enjoy the media sensationalism over the next few days and we'll see what happens
But why settle this by having a different set of facts? You’re wrong

I can't understand the debate in the media - it's clear that there is contact, and he will get 1-2 weeks. Hawkins contact with Dean Marghetts was likely an accidental or reflex action, and he got 1 week.

This looks more deliberate - he's followed the umpire at the 3/4 time break, and then made contact. It's a minimum of 1 week, but really should be 2. Not sure the tribunal will have the courage to suspend him for a potential GF, but they should.

There are a few historical no-go zones in AFL - contacting an umpire, kicking an opponent, biting or spitting on an opponent. There's no sympathy or leniency for these actions.

Interesting. There does look to be a gap
Have a look at the “ gap” to the right of screen that Green could have used to walk around The ump .
Toby is an idiot who needs to learn to control himself.
It should be a suspension of multiple weeks if they are serious about respecting umpires through all grades of footy.
However to protect their precious ratings and expansion projects they will probably down grade it and make it a fine to make it look like they care .

Hardly anything in it, the camera angle makes it look a lot worse.
probably gets 1 week - any more and it’s just cause it’s Greene

I can't understand why anyone but Geelong supporters would want to see one of the most entertaining players in the game get rubbed out of a final or more for something as innocuous as this, surely a fine would be an adequate punishment with a message to Toby to be more careful in the future.

Have a look at the “ gap” to the right of screen that Green could have used to walk around The ump .
Toby is an idiot who needs to learn to control himself.
It should be a suspension of multiple weeks if they are serious about respecting umpires through all grades of footy.
However to protect their precious ratings and expansion projects they will probably down grade it and make it a fine to make it look like they care .

So he should get multiple weeks suspension for not contacting the ump? That’s a newbie.

I can't understand the debate in the media - it's clear that there is contact, and he will get 1-2 weeks. Hawkins contact with Dean Marghetts was likely an accidental or reflex action, and he got 1 week.

This looks more deliberate - he's followed the umpire at the 3/4 time break, and then made contact. It's a minimum of 1 week, but really should be 2. Not sure the tribunal will have the courage to suspend him for a potential GF, but they should.

There are a few historical no-go zones in AFL - contacting an umpire, kicking an opponent, biting or spitting on an opponent. There's no sympathy or leniency for these actions.
Except the only contact seems like they brushed hands. Neale got off for contact, I can see the same.

Very hard to know if people actually still think he shoulder bumped him when it is just the camera angle and bodies turning at the right time for it to look like that.

The "nothing in it" argument is truly bewildering, as if Stevic should be treated like an opposition player, or we see things like this happen several times a year. People are going back 25 years to Greg Williams to try to find a comparable degree of force.

I saw the headline before the incident and thought it must have been an umpire getting in the player's space and Greene absent mindedly brushing them away with kind of a forearm flick. But, wow... going to be a task to try to justify a non-suspension for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think it is unreasonable to suggest he is trying to intimidate the umpire.
Crapping on about something and makes absolutely no effort to avoid contact.
If you watch the vision closely he actually leans into the umpire just prior to making contact.

What message does a fine or 1 week send to local footy comps.
If the AFL are serious then 4 - 5 weeks IMO.
AFL have to make a statement that this sort of conduct is just not acceptable.

Think about the kids
The 2 week suspension for elbowing Dangerfield in the throat didn’t teach Toby anything. He did it last night in front of the umpire.

Last edited:
I can't understand why anyone but Geelong supporters would want to see one of the most entertaining players in the game get rubbed out of a final or more for something as innocuous as this, surely a fine would be an adequate punishment with a message to Toby to be more careful in the future.
Because it’s a shit look and umpires cop far too much shit in local footy. Letting this go says go nuts and abuse them at your will

Regardless of the opinion of the unwashed, ultimately this will be decided by one man - Matt Stevic.

If Stevic says he felt threatened, intimidated or disrespected then young Tobes will be having a stint on the sidelines.

If Stevic says to Chrisso, nah mate he was just letting off some steam and he just brushed past me with minimal contact, then Toby will be a touch lighter in the hip pocket and ready to unleash hell on the boys from the Cattery.

Apart from saying this will go straight to the Tribunal i’

The 2 week suspension for elbowing Dangerfield in the throat didn’t teach Toby anything. He did it last night in front of the umpire.
Toby does not learn, its as simple as that. Multiple times in his career he does stupid, controversial, edge of the rules stuff.

It keeps happening. I think he has to get at least a week, and again he won't learn and he'll be back next year getting looked at for some other stupid Greene action.

If Toby’s action was done at local league it could escalate very quickly depending upon the personality of the umpire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over to you AFL Greene is your problem now.

You should have stamped out his antics well before this, but you accommodated him and now he is sticking the figure up at you and laughing.

My prediction knowing the AFL - Stevic to cop a week for staging

Yeh
The water under the bridge moment was more like Stevic looking at him and thinking “ you are an idiot , I can’t believe you did that and you’re gone “
I like how people turn the scepticism dial all to way to infinity in order to “not see” the obvious but then add in a hugely assumed moment of the two having a “water under the bridge moment”…

Creative editing of reality

Back