Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027, reportedly headed to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate I’m not trying to negotiate on behalf of the club here 🤣

Barres is not someone we should be mortgaging our future for. If West Coast value him so highly I really hope we just say keep him.

One first + F2 is where I hope we draw the line. No idea of the club agrees but any more is more than I think he is worth.
How is that deal mortgaging your future? You've been rebuilding for years, you have young mids who are still fresh and not even close to their peak, you have a potential forward line barring a strong kpf, your only significant weakness is your full back.
You are entering your premiership window, you could argue that it would be irresponsible to go to the draft again, players are far more helpful

How is that deal mortgaging your future? You've been rebuilding for years, you have young mids who are still fresh and not even close to their peak, you have a potential forward line barring a strong kpf, your only significant weakness is your full back.
You are entering your premiership window, you could argue that it would be irresponsible to go to the draft again, players are far more helpful

With the Tasmanian team likely to monopolise the next few drafts I would say it's irresponsible to overpay for a 29 year old with a bad back.
I would think the finals show that hawthorn is still a fair way off being competitive against the best teams; they need a forward who can take a mark and more class in the midfield. The one area they are well placed in is the backline which is stacked.

Last edited:
I still don’t buy the bolded.

If you wanted to keep him you would be in such an easy position to make him happy contract wise without hindering your salary cap.

I very much believe Weat Coast see this as a win win
If they wanted to keep him no way they let him say his farewell at the bnf...it's obvious to everyone

Like I said from beginning first and future 2nd wrap it up already

That's going to be something like 17 + 40 on draft night. Imagine getting that for Sicily.

That's going to be something like 17 + 40 on draft night. Imagine getting that for Sicily.
Sicily is a better player mate should have been two time all australian apart from being our captain and best player. Don't get me wrong Barrass is really good. I think it will be a mutual agreement. The negotiations have been really respectful between both clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like it will be 14 + 30 + F2nd as Hawks desperate to keep future 1st.

14 + 30 + F2nd for Barrass + 63
Sure hope not, I’ll be pissed if we pay that much for him.

LOL

Sicily is a champion backman. All Australian in 2023… Shortlisted in the AA squad in 2019, 2022, 2024. (Deadset robbed of AA selection in 2019 & 2022.)

He would’ve been All Australian in 2018 if he hadn’t got injured in Round 17 and missed the last 5 games.

Barrass is a good full back, but not a great one. Never All Australian. Only once listed in the AA 44 man squad.

He did win a best & fairest, but that was for one of the worst teams we’ve ever seen (2 wins, 20 losses, 59.8%). Just about every senior West Coast player was injured that year and missed 5,6,7,8+ games… The Eagles’ 2022 B&F was basically a last man standing contest. Not really something to hang your hat on.

Barrass is decent enough, but he is not in the same class as Sicily as a footballer. The way you Eagles fans have been talking him up this trade period, it’s as though we’re talking about Jeremy McGovern

I’d hate to think what you’d be asking for the 5-time All Australian McGovern!!! Five 1st round picks??

I get that you’re going through a rebuild and you want to maximise your draft picks. But don’t think you’re gonna do this in one fell swoop by bending the Hawks over in the Barrass trade.

Our clubs will agree on a fair trade for the good (but not great) injury-prone, 29 year-old full back.

If not, the Hawks will walk away. We are not as desperate for a key defender as people seem to think. Frost, Scrimshaw, Weddle and a one-armed Sicily did bloody well this year… We have the ever-improving Jai Serong, who played really well in the VFL and is ready to step up. We also have our first choice FB, James Blanck back in training after his ACL injury back in Feb. Oh… and we signed free agent, Josh Battle…

If we get Barrass, it frees up Weddle and Sicily to play further afield in more attacking roles. But I strongly doubt we are going “sell the farm” to get him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027, reportedly headed to Hawthorn]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back