Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Like we have been?

You do realise all of this was Hawthorn and Barrass' doing, right? It works for us in that Barrass won't be around when we're next contending but we're not the ones driving this.

FWIW, I expect a trade to be one of the following:

Barrass + F2 for F1 + F1
Barrass + F3 for F1 + F2 + F2
Barrass for F1 + F2

I'd love the two firsts but it seems like F1 + F2 are the core of the trade. It's providing an F3 going back was too much so the trades above are subtle variations favourable to us without going overboard. Given the Hawks' shenanigans, I hope the last option is off the table. If that means Barrass returns to us next season, so be it.

No it’s the eagles own doing! Via the media it has been said Eagles made a hand shake agreement with Tom to “ look after him soon “. Eagles are refusing to do that now.

Now a premiership eagle who feels under valued and not wanted has been shopping him self around as the eagles will not pay up. Swans, Doggies and Hawks.

This is on the eagles and everyone knows it!

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Barrass is better than Sicily belongs in a mental asylum.

Newcombe was probably the best finals player this season over the first two weeks and would’ve been had he played more (top 5 with less games) was also arguably the form midfielder for 2 months at the end of the season. He is also getting better, Barrass isn’t.

Go watch footy.
Newcombe was also garbage without Day and came into the season unfit. I can point to a 2 month stretch of Barrass which is better than anything Nukes ever served up, and he's a KPP, no disrespect to Nuke who is a gun.

Sic is very good, but I don't think he can play defence anymore with the collection of injuries he's accumulating, hence why Hawks have looked at Barrass and Battle.

Sic as a loose defender, or pinch forward isn't on the same park as Barrass.

No it’s the eagles own doing! Via the media it has been said Barrass made a hand shake agreement with Tom to “ look after him soon “. Eagles are refusing to do that now.

Now a premiership eagle who feels under valued and not wanted has been shopping him self around as the eagles will not pay up. Swans, Doggies and Hawks.

Everybody, but exclusively limited to entitled Hawks fans.

No it’s the eagles own doing! Via the media it has been said Barrass made a hand shake agreement with Tom to “ look after him soon “. Eagles are refusing to do that now.

Cannot match Hawks offer so we're no chance of getting Barrass to stay .

Newcombe was also garbage without Day and came into the season unfit. I can point to a 2 month stretch of Barrass which is better than anything Nukes ever served up, and he's a KPP, no disrespect to Nuke who is a gun.

Sic is very good, but I don't think he can play defence anymore with the collection of injuries he's accumulating, hence why Hawks have looked at Barrass and Battle.

The whole group started the season poorly, despite this. Early in the year Newcombe still had big games, he was the driving reason behind many come backs, especially the Collingwood game early. He played without day for the finals and later in the year and was the dominant midfielder.

Barrass isn’t at that anymore hence the fact, whereas Newcombes was his last 3 months he’s played. Including finals, and will only get better. Top 10/20 for Brownlow and coaches votes.

Sicily has had one popped shoulder “collection of injuries” and will have it fixed ready to fire Round 1, and in 2023 with a full season firing, he was the best defender in it, 2024 even with a big portion on one shoulder he was still a top level defender.

He is comfortably better.

Sicily can lockdown when needed but is a superstar level defender when able to play loose, finds the balance like he did in 2023 of both and he’s genuinely unstoppable, rarely did he lose a one on one and would accumulate and dominant the air, ground level and with his kicking and rebound.

Not in the same ball park, as a KPP Barrass is a gun but he is not in his prime as he was and with his injuries, hence why he isn’t being marketed where he would with that not being the case or if the Eagles were good.

The whole group started the season poorly, despite this. Early in the year Newcombe still had big games, he was the driving reason behind many come backs, especially the Collingwood game early. He played without day for the finals and later in the year and was the dominant midfielder.

Barrass isn’t at that anymore hence the fact, whereas Newcombes was his last 3 months he’s played. Including finals, and will only get better. Top 10/20 for Brownlow and coaches votes.

Sicily has had one popped shoulder “collection of injuries” and will have it fixed ready to fire Round 1, and in 2023 with a full season firing, he was the best defender in it, 2024 even with a big portion on one shoulder he was still a top level defender.

He is comfortably better.

Sicily can lockdown when needed but is a superstar level defender when able to play loose, finds the balance like he did in 2023 of both and he’s genuinely unstoppable, rarely did he lose a one on one and would accumulate and dominant the air, ground level and with his kicking and rebound.

Not in the same ball park, as a KPP Barrass is a gun but he is not in his prime as he was and with his injuries, hence why he isn’t being marketed where he would with that not being the case or if the Eagles were good.
That's fine then, you don't rate Barrass as we do, no soup for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good player, injuries and the fact his form isn’t as it was. Is why he is being rated less than delusional Eagles fans. The eagles staff are playing hard ball but it’ll be done and the Eagles fans will not be happy either way.

Simple
Bro, there's only one set of simple and delusional fans, and it ain't the blue and gold hombre.

As an avid Eagles supporter, I'd still say rather Sicily than TB.

Sic is a freak talent. Besides his reading of the play and marking ability, not many people I know can kick a goal from 60 odd meters with a wet ball and have it go through goal post height.

In saying all of that, TB is an excellent player... I personally would have preferred 14+F2 as the minimum buy.
Now it's F1 I personally think it needs to be another F1 with F2 going back.

You guys get him and you're flag favourites for mine.

As an avid Eagles supporter, I'd still say rather Sicily than TB.

Sic is a freak talent. Besides his reading of the play and marking ability, not many people I know can kick a goal from 60 odd meters with a wet ball and have it go through goal post height.

In saying all of that, TB is an excellent player... I personally would have preferred 14+F2 as the minimum buy.
Now it's F1 I personally think it needs to be another F1 with F2 going back.

You guys get him and you're flag favourites for mine.
Imagine as a thought exercise, Eagles offered pick 14 for Sicily and then the fans called Hawks unreasonable.

Imagine as a thought exercise, Eagles offered pick 14 for Sicily and then the fans called Hawks unreasonable.
Barrass is no Sicily

If Sicily wanted to leave today he would have 17 other teams lining up for his services and hawks would give him what he wanted to stay

Thanks. Helpful when an opposition supporter confirms what is blatantly obvious to us Hawks supporters.
It's apples and oranges champ, the point of a though exercise (if you are capable of thought) is to understand what a pisstake the offer was if a player as valuable to you as Sicily, was offered up at pick 14.

Barrass is 2x the KPP of Sicily, but obviously Sicily is an extremely elite rebounding defender in ways Barrass couldn't ever do.

Oooooookay...

RE Newcombe - by the end of the season, based on most metrics, Newk has had his best ever season - despite having a slower start than the previous season:
  • he edged into the Top 20 rated players in the comp via Champion Data
  • He also rated best in finals in the club
  • won our B&F (after having consecutive runners-up two years running)
  • and also according to champion data, rated better than any West Coast Eagles player - the nearest being Elliot Yeo @ 35

= I would argue off this, that he is just as important as a KPD - if not moreso, as a good midfielder can turn a game by cutting supply to need the KPD as seen against the Doggies. Good KPDs are rarer than a good mid, but Newk is no longer just a plain mid. He is a match winner. He would be worth two firsts easily at this point, as he may yet exceed this season being still very young.

RE Sicily - in terms of durability, Sicily has played 63/71 games for the last 3 seasons, since coming back from his ACL. I'm not sure where this durability argument even comes from:

1728907926865.png

Over the same period, Barrass has actually played less, being on the field for 51/69 - which is quite a lot less as a proportion:
1728907968063.png

With both Sic and Barrass hailing from the same draft year, I hardly think Barrass is being recruited as cover or a bet on better durability. More than anything else, Sic has missed over HALF these games because of suspension NOT injury.

Finally to sweep Sic as a "loose defender/pinch forward" and then say its inferior to Barrass, ignores the impact Sic has on games. We have more often lost when Sic has not made the field, as his absence basically messes with our structure and he has best ball use out of the backline.

Barrass is an excellent one-on-one defender, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt he has also benefitted from being in the company as one of the greatest defenders in the modern era in McGovern. There have been questions raised whether he can have the same impact in a different defence - although I feel that is a bit exaggerated.

In short, Newk is worth easily more on the open market due to youth and the premium the game puts on game-breaking mids. Sic and Barrass is more even due to same age and same area of ground. They would have marginal differences but in terms of the modern game & the need for play to come from the back half, I would edge it in Sic (but I'm biased AF, so Weagles can put the opposite as well) - either way, Barrass is not a slam dunk double first rounder.

oki essay done :)

Oooooookay...

RE Newcombe - by the end of the season, based on most metrics, Newk has had his best ever season - despite having a slower start than the previous season:
  • he edged into the Top 20 rated players in the comp via Champion Data
  • He also rated best in finals in the club
  • won our B&F (after having consecutive runners-up two years running)
  • and also according to champion data, rated better than any West Coast Eagles player - the nearest being Elliot Yeo @ 35

= I would argue off this, that he is just as important as a KPD - if not moreso, as a good midfielder can turn a game by cutting supply to need the KPD as seen against the Doggies. Good KPDs are rarer than a good mid, but Newk is no longer just a plain mid. He is a match winner. He would be worth two firsts easily at this point, as he may yet exceed this season being still very young.

RE Sicily - in terms of durability, Sicily has played 63/71 games for the last 3 seasons, since coming back from his ACL. I'm not sure where this durability argument even comes from:

View attachment 2141403

Over the same period, Barrass has actually played less, being on the field for 51/69 - which is quite a lot less as a proportion:
View attachment 2141404

With both Sic and Barrass hailing from the same draft year, I hardly think Barrass is being recruited as cover or a bet on better durability.

Finally to sweep Sic as a "loose defender/pinch forward" and then say its inferior to Barrass, ignores the impact Sic has on games. We have more often lost when Sic has not made the field, as his absence basically messes with our structure and he has best ball use out of the backline.

Barrass is an excellent one-on-one defender, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt he has also benefitted from being in the company as one of the greatest defenders in the modern era in McGovern. There have been questions raised whether he can have the same impact in a different defence - although I feel that is a bit exaggerated.

In short, Newk is worth easily more on the open market due to youth and the premium the game puts on game-breaking mids. Sic and Barrass is more even due to same age and same area of ground. They would have marginal differences but in terms of the modern game & the need for play to come from the back half, I would edge it in Sic.

oki essay done :)
Worth 2 firsts is true, but doesn't mean he's a better player, and doesn't impact my assessment that Barrass is worth 2 future firsts. Part of that is fueled by the fact Hawks tanked the 14 + second deal which had the Baker deal hanging off it, if you force us into a weaker draft with a worse hand, that's on you, and you have to pay up.

Sicily is again elite, but a KPP is worth more than a 3rd tall defender. All things being equal, Sicily is probably a better player, but a top 10 KPP is better than a top 10 3rd tall/rebounding defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back