Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

You can’t talk about not getting on the park when Barrass hasn’t ever played a full season of more than what 19/20 games? Lewis has played out of the last 3 years, 2 of 15. Similar and comparable to Barrass, yet years younger.
Barrass played every game in 2020
He was also on track to get 50+ goals in two of those seasons in a bottom 4 team with bottom 2-4 supply.
You brought up Barrass inability to play a complete season, then bring up Lewis as your very next example LOL
Barrass is at the backend of his prime and may get back to his best if he can continue to manage himself and playing in a good side, but he’s no longer in the middle of his prime. Those young guys I mentioned could explode next year and some had big years this year, whilst Barrass did not and could slide more, who knows. It’s a guessing game considering his back and issues, hence why his worth is also less.

Current ability yes but also irrelevant to 2025 which is a future season.
The fact you have to keep bringing up things that may or may not happen, and talking up potential, means youve lost. Barrass right now is in your top few players.

Anyone who thinks Barrass is better than Sicily belongs in a mental asylum.

Newcombe was probably the best finals player this season over the first two weeks and would’ve been had he played more (top 5 with less games) was also arguably the form midfielder for 2 months at the end of the season. He is also getting better, Barrass isn’t.

Go watch footy.
future potential is not relevant when discussing who is better right now

Its very clear that Hawks lost interest in Barrass once Battle joined and Connors and co are annoyed
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

Not in the same ball park, as a KPP Barrass is a gun but he is not in his prime as he was and with his injuries, hence why he isn’t being marketed where he would with that not being the case or if the Eagles were good.
Barrass' injuries dont affect his ability to play footy. He was elite this year, played as good as he ever has

Barrass is no Sicily

If Sicily wanted to leave today he would have 17 other teams lining up for his services and hawks would give him what he wanted to stay
Hawks are in their premiership window. If the Eagles were in theirs we would be throwing everything at Barrass to stay.
If you actually think 17 other clubs wouldnt line up for Barrass' services if they thought he would be keen then idk what to tell you mate

Hawks are in their premiership window. If the Eagles were in theirs we would be throwing everything at Barrass to stay.
If you actually think 17 other clubs wouldnt line up for Barrass' services if they thought he would be keen then idk what to tell you mate
So are you telling me Barrass & Sicily are rated the same ?
You guys are seriously over rating Barras's Value #14 was a very reasonable offer sure could have been slightly better maybe 11/12 but no way any more than that but when there is a disgruntled player that the club is not willing to resolve and he wants out sometimes you take a little less and move on.

You guys are seriously over rating Barras's Value #14 was a very reasonable offer sure could have been slightly better maybe 11/12 but no way any more than that but when there is a disgruntled player that the club is not willing to resolve and he wants out sometimes you take a little less and move on.
But Barrass said from the start he'd happily come back.

We clearly said we want 14 + a 2nd (future or otherwise) and Hawks blew that trade up.

What they want is not of much concern anymore, and a Richmond fan criticising Eagles for wanting that for Barrass when requesting 6 + 23 for a player in Rioli, who to be frank is not in the same class, is pretty ironic.

But Barrass said from the start he'd happily come back.

We clearly said we want 14 + a 2nd (future or otherwise) and Hawks blew that trade up.

What they want is not of much concern anymore, and a Richmond fan criticising Eagles for wanting that for Barrass when requesting 6 + 23 for a player in Rioli, who to be frank is not in the same class, is pretty ironic.
LOl comparing the Richmond asking price from GC and comparing it to another team is crazy
nothing is going to compare to that as its a totally different scenario

#14 in this draft is worth more than F1 + F2 which is what its looking like happening
Maybe Mini gets into Clarke's ear and gives him the extra $100k and try to keep him

If they actually want to keep Barrass that is

I didnt say theyre rated the same. I said Barrass would also have 17 clubs lining up for him, as youd expect with any A-grader

LOl comparing the Richmond asking price from GC and comparing it to another team is crazy
nothing is going to compare to that as its a totally different scenario

#14 in this draft is worth more than F1 + F2 which is what its looking like happening
Maybe Mini gets into Clarke's ear and gives him the extra $100k and try to keep him

If they actually want to keep Barrass that is
We can keep him with no money, as he's contracted.

He's also a far, far better player than Rioli, so the situation holds a lot of water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My commiserations to Eagles fans

3 for 12+ Baker + Owies.. LMAO

Eagles list manager is now haggling over F3's

And more picks, but good job proving your inability to read.

Good luck getting Barrass for unders with no leverage champ, we'll be taking both that's future firsts.

And more picks, but good job proving your inability to read.

Good luck getting Barrass for unders with no leverage champ, we'll be taking both that's future firsts.
What picks... There are no picks, mystery players maybe.. Got eye on any Blues/Tigers on the delist pile?

Hawks hold Blues F2 & F1.

Blues have lions F2 and can't trade it as no F1.

I doubt Tigers are throwing in pick 24 to reduce the burn for Eagles fans.

Chances of Hawks walking away increases now as Eagles would be desperate to "save face" by wining th trade with Hawks.

Will they "Save face" if they keep a disgruntled Barass, we will see. New Coach made a wish and Matty clarke worked to deliver it.

What picks... There are no picks, mystery players maybe.. Got eye on any Blues/Tigers on the delist pile?

Hawks hold Blues F2 & F1.

Blues have lions F2 and can't trade it as no F1.

I doubt Tigers are throwing in pick 24 to reduce the burn for Eagles fans.

Chances of Hawks walking away increases now as Eagles would be desperate to "save face" by wining th trade with Hawks.

Will they "Save face" if they keep a disgruntled Barass, we will see. New Coach made a wish and Matty clarke worked to deliver it.
We'll hold your two F1s thanks champ.

Oooooookay...

RE Newcombe - by the end of the season, based on most metrics, Newk has had his best ever season - despite having a slower start than the previous season:
  • he edged into the Top 20 rated players in the comp via Champion Data
  • He also rated best in finals in the club
  • won our B&F (after having consecutive runners-up two years running)
  • and also according to champion data, rated better than any West Coast Eagles player - the nearest being Elliot Yeo @ 35

= I would argue off this, that he is just as important as a KPD - if not moreso, as a good midfielder can turn a game by cutting supply to need the KPD as seen against the Doggies. Good KPDs are rarer than a good mid, but Newk is no longer just a plain mid. He is a match winner. He would be worth two firsts easily at this point, as he may yet exceed this season being still very young.

RE Sicily - in terms of durability, Sicily has played 63/71 games for the last 3 seasons, since coming back from his ACL. I'm not sure where this durability argument even comes from:

View attachment 2141403

Over the same period, Barrass has actually played less, being on the field for 51/69 - which is quite a lot less as a proportion:
View attachment 2141404

With both Sic and Barrass hailing from the same draft year, I hardly think Barrass is being recruited as cover or a bet on better durability. More than anything else, Sic has missed over HALF these games because of suspension NOT injury.

Finally to sweep Sic as a "loose defender/pinch forward" and then say its inferior to Barrass, ignores the impact Sic has on games. We have more often lost when Sic has not made the field, as his absence basically messes with our structure and he has best ball use out of the backline.

Barrass is an excellent one-on-one defender, don't get me wrong, but there is no doubt he has also benefitted from being in the company as one of the greatest defenders in the modern era in McGovern. There have been questions raised whether he can have the same impact in a different defence - although I feel that is a bit exaggerated.

In short, Newk is worth easily more on the open market due to youth and the premium the game puts on game-breaking mids. Sic and Barrass is more even due to same age and same area of ground. They would have marginal differences but in terms of the modern game & the need for play to come from the back half, I would edge it in Sic (but I'm biased AF, so Weagles can put the opposite as well) - either way, Barrass is not a slam dunk double first rounder.

oki essay done :)
Too much sense being spoken here.

RE: Newcombe

His last 5 games his averages were the best in the competition, this goes further as was his last 2-3 months Inc finals.

2nd highest rated player in the competition 20.5 to 21 (Xerri) higher than Sheezel, Warner, Cripps, Neale, Heeney etc in said time frame.

34 coaches votes in 5 games
Avg of 6.8
Similar to Neale, Daicos, Heeney and Cripps

31 disposals per game @ 83% DE (5)
5 inside 50s
13 contested
7 clearances
6 marks
3 goals (0.6)
1.8 goal assists (3) (1 among mids)
10.6 score inv (1)
3.6 tackles

RE: Sicily

Everything said is correct but an even more premium put on the fact the durability argument is laughable and the fact is that in recent years (since 2022) Sicily has been a far superior player.

2023 for example, he had an incredible season. His defensive game was strong, barely lost one on one contests, was playing above his weight class defending tall forwards, would play on small forwards, roaming forwards and half forwards. He was then also able to play loose when that player wasn’t in a dangerous position.

His ability to read the ball, intercept, rebound, use his body no matter his opponent in one on one contests and utilise elite kicking, separates him from many and not many at all, very few, come close to the all round ability.

Don’t get me wrong, Barrass is brilliant, lesser now than before but I remember a game a couple years ago I believe, where he single handily took mark after mark and stopped the game from being a belting despite the dominance Hawthorn had afield.

As good as he is intercepting and locking down as a genuine gorilla defender, Sicily is separated from many, so it is hardly a bad thing.

If you want to see the difference in their abilities look at Sicily v St Kilda 2023.

43 disposals @ 91%
24 kicks
17 contested
22 intercepts
11 score involvements
16 marks (4 contested)
658 metres gained
165 fantasy

It’s an all time game, and he did have a few mammoth games like this, it’s astonishing.

RE: Sicily - Newcombe and Barrass
Considering everything.
Newcombe is easily worth two firsts and growing, as a young player with more improvement and consistency expansion.

Sicily would be probably worth two firsts aswell, but this is something now where he’s in his prime and will not likely improve all too much and won’t improve ability wise. Having said that the point would be different had it been end of 2023 and it’s easily two firsts.

Barrass would be worth a first on the open market but with his contract a first and second with a possible third coming back is probably fair. In regards to also considering his inability to consistently get on the park with his serious back issue, he’ll have to manage for the rest of his life, and his age. Had this been a couple years ago it would be different, if West Coast were a better side, it’d be different. But this is the climate currently.

Feels like their new coach has put down "Get Baker" demand in the non-negotiable camp which means Tigers & Blues combined to give it to Matty Clarke well and good.

Really feel sorry for Eagle fans.

Won't it be easy for them to do the trade for Barass for Hawks F1+F2

Offer 3+Hawks F1 to Saints for 7+8 and then reconsider their options. What are they thinking.

Even Demons want first dibs on FoS and could trade 5+9 for 3+Hawks F1

Surely the Eagles board will intervene and stop a trauma inducing events across the club.

Feels like their new coach has put down "Get Baker" demand in the non-negotiable camp which means Tigers & Blues combined to give it to Matty Clarke well and good.

Really feel sorry for Eagle fans.

Won't it be easy for them to do the trade for Barass for Hawks F1+F2

Offer 3+Hawks F1 to Saints for 7+8 and then reconsider their options. What are they thinking.

Even Demons want first dibs on FoS and could trade 5+9 for 3+Hawks F1

Surely the Eagles board will intervene and stop a trauma inducing events across the club.
We'll literally take your 2 firsts for Barrass or you won't get him, been saying it since Friday. Why do you think you made that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back