Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as he is, i wouldnt want the hawks to give up a first rounder for a 29 year old. He's no brian lake. With tassie coming in now is the time to keep banking youth.

Hawks 1st and one of their 4th rounders and DGB for WCE's 2nd would be WIN/WIN for both teams IMO

DGB gets to go home to try to resurrect his career and Barass gets to go to a team ready to be contenders
Hawks 1st a 4th and DGB for Barrass AND a 2nd rounder? No way

All those for Barrass alone maybe, at a stretch. Should be something a little better than that added to the first rounder

DGB is worth next to nothing right now

Hawks 1st a 4th and DGB for Barrass AND a 2nd rounder? No way

All those for Barrass alone maybe, at a stretch. Should be something a little better than that added to the first rounder

DGB is worth next to nothing right now
I recon due to the quality in this draft, WC is taking Hawks 1st & DGB for Barrass. Unless Hawks start winning finals, 2-3 spots won't matter. Pick 10 is pretty spot on.

I recon due to the quality in this draft, WC is taking Hawks 1st & DGB for Barrass. Unless Hawks start winning finals, 2-3 spots won't matter. Pick 10 is pretty spot on.
Eagles have to factor in Gov finishing up soon. It's a dangerous spot to be having no AFL standard KPDs.

Eagles have to factor in Gov finishing up soon. It's a dangerous spot to be having no AFL standard KPDs.
I think the key is whether there is any fringe experienced KPD they can bring in on the cheap. Honestly, if Hawks are getting Barrass AND Battle, WC could do worse than demand Frosty get chucked in as steaknives...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the key is whether there is any fringe experienced KPD they can bring in on the cheap. Honestly, if Hawks are getting Barrass AND Battle, WC could do worse than demand Frosty get chucked in as steaknives...
He's been really good this year. A very good stop gap for a couple of years until your developing talls come through isn't a bad deal TBH. Whether Frosty would want to move is another thing. He's pretty popular amongst the playing group.

They can ask but there's no chance Hawthorn will trade 2 firsts for Barrass.

Collingwoods 2nd and a future first or our current first and future 2nd is the best offer they'll get.

Make the case for the Eagles winning that trade though, not just Hawks winning a club B&F key defender (rated elite in the position when WC won the flag) while under contract for three more years.

If it's just $250,000 a year more for three years, why wouldn't WC have that? Why would they instead choose to swap out all his contract value for a first and second?

Where's the win for WC knowing that they will be without a proven AFL tall defender from as soon as middle of next year during a rebuild? The next coach of the Eagles would be furious that a literal key piece of his puzzle is gone.

That is, unless he is the one who has been causing such issues for the previous coach..

Can only speak from experience but when we offloaded Mitchell and O'Meara and then bundled the picks we got for them to trade up for an extra 1st and landed Weddle. We also opened up the midfield for the next generation to find their way and develop.

I believe WC could see a similar benefit from moving on Barrass for a first. Your argument is they would benefit more from keeping him and paying the extra 250k. Hard to say which one if is right without knowing their complete strategy for the rebuild.

Can only speak from experience but when we offloaded Mitchell and O'Meara and then bundled the picks we got for them to trade up for an extra 1st and landed Weddle. We also opened up the midfield for the next generation to find their way and develop.

I believe WC could see a similar benefit from moving on Barrass for a first. Your argument is they would benefit more from keeping him and paying the extra 250k. Hard to say which one if is right without knowing their complete strategy for the rebuild.

I think there's a difference between trading someone who is playing on the half forward line compared to a key position.

I think a rebuilding side needs to have mature bodies in it's key roles of FF, CHF, R, ROV, RR, CHB and FB (also wing but let's not get too deep into the weeds) and losing one or more will result in that particular match up costing contests and games.

Make the case for the Eagles winning that trade though, not just Hawks winning a club B&F key defender (rated elite in the position when WC won the flag) while under contract for three more years.

If it's just $250,000 a year more for three years, why wouldn't WC have that? Why would they instead choose to swap out all his contract value for a first and second?

Where's the win for WC knowing that they will be without a proven AFL tall defender from as soon as middle of next year during a rebuild? The next coach of the Eagles would be furious that a literal key piece of his puzzle is gone.

That is, unless he is the one who has been causing such issues for the previous coach..

We tried desperately when Mitchell took over to bring in as many picks as possible.

Our problem was the players we had that we could move didn't have much currency. We traded Mitchell & O'Meara & also had a deal agreed for Wingard who vetoed the move to the Giants.

The eagles are in a spot where they have a very valuable asset in Barrass who won't be in the side by the time the eagles are a genuine flag contender so why wouldn't you trade him out for two picks inside the top 30.

If I was in the eagles position I'd be driving Tom to the airport as bringing in as many young kids as possible is the most important thing they can do at the moment.

I think there's a difference between trading someone who is playing on the half forward line compared to a key position.

I think a rebuilding side needs to have mature bodies in it's key roles of FF, CHF, R, ROV, RR, CHB and FB (also wing but let's not get too deep into the weeds) and losing one or more will result in that particular match up costing contests and games.

They do still have Mcgovern as the experienced defender that will help mentor the young defenders.

They do still have Mcgovern as the experienced defender that will help mentor the young defenders.

They would, but I've said it previously that they will have no proven AFL key defender from as early as mid 2025.

McGovern is 32, only contracted for next season and averages (so far) 12.4 games a season for the last five years.

The years he plays less games the worse the Eagles perform indicating to me that the demand for key defenders will be high at the Eagles - but I do see your point that trying to find as many AFL players as possible as soon as possible will make them stronger in the long run given the plans for the next couple of years might not be pushing for finals.

But the WC members will want competitive performances, I don't think the atmosphere in WA will allow them to be terrible for a long time - they will demand results.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back