Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are asking for 2 firsts then 1 certainly won't get it done.
They wouldn't have put 2 firsts out there if they were prepared to accept 1 first, it's just bad pr management
I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.. wouldn't be the first and won't be the last club that doesn't get what they ask for in a trade via the media! I think his manager would've figured out the crux of the deal before telling TB to request a trade

Fair enough. Think both clubs will be reasonable. Maybe throw in pick 30 or a fringe player also? At least you guys would get 2 1st rounders in that trade.
That gets it closer, as I said for total value the f1 is similar to the 2 2nd rounders wce would be giving up.
Essentially 13+ whatever you're adding.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.. wouldn't be the first and won't be the last club that doesn't get what they ask for in a trade via the media! I think his manager would've figured out the crux of the deal before telling TB to request a trade
2 firsts for barrass will be what the Eagles start at, but after saying 2 firsts they can't really go back and take 1 first.

2 firsts with something going back or a first + a 2nd will be around the mark

13 and 30 seems more likely as can't see Hawthorn taking a risk with a future first.

Adelaide last year a good example after unlucky to miss the 8, then back down to 14th

That’s still overpaying. If we happen to be desperate doesn’t make it any less of an overpay.

Just depends on hard limits and I hope our list team has learnt and doesn’t go silly. We’ve got a different man in charge compared to our previous trade failings.
Barrass is contracted for 3 more years .

You will be over paying. Thats just the way it is

His contract takes him up to 31 . Pretty sure its a smart play not to sign him for an extra 2 years when he had 3 years to run .

Its not pushing him out at all .
It's interesting that WC supporters don't realised that there is a reason why he hasn't been offered a restructuring of his contract (this was after he requested for an extension THIS YEAR!) despite the interest from the hawks. This says they believe he has 3 good years of footy left and then will need to be reassessed...yet expect us to pay 2 first for the same player.

Let's be frank TB probably has 3 good years of footy, theb depending on injuries and how his body holds up it will be probably touch and go with his form and availability. It's a gamble yet for us, yet you all think his worth 2 firsts?

On Bailey, yes his missed the year but he still has 7-8 years of footy ahead of him and hasn't hit his prime, yet Geelong reckon his worth 1 first.

Take off your blinkers and think rationally.

WC would prefer picks than the player who would have no use to them in the next 3 years.. they have McGovern to teach the youngster they don't need two A grade defenders who will take playing time away from their youngsters.

Pick 13 and maybe F2 for TB and 3rd.. is fair

It's interesting that WC supporters don't realised that there is a reason why he hasn't been offered a restructuring of his contract (this was after he requested for an extension THIS YEAR!) despite the interest from the hawks. This says they believe he has 3 good years of footy left and then will need to be reassessed...yet expect us to pay 2 first for the same player.

Let's be frank TB probably has 3 good years of footy, theb depending on injuries and how his body holds up it will be probably touch and go with his form and availability. It's a gamble yet for us, yet you all think his worth 2 firsts?

On Bailey, yes his missed the year but he still has 7-8 years of footy ahead of him and hasn't hit his prime, yet Geelong reckon his worth 1 first.

WC would prefer picks than the player who would have no use to them in the next 3 years.. they have McGovern to teach the youngster they don't need two A grade defenders who will take playing time away from their youngsters.

They're salivating at this year's draft on their board. They can't wait to get rid of Barrass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about Hawthorn's second. That's what we gave up for Lake and he was way better
Barrass is way better than most Hawthorn supporters think. Im a Freo supporter and Ive seen him dominate us in recent seasons. I think his year this year was as good as any Lake had and yes I think All Australian awards mean nothing. Luke Mcpharlin is our best ever key defender and he got one All Australian award. Barrass is an exceptional defender and in my opinion more consistent than Lake was over his career and yeah I don't think its even close.

We think he's worth whatever the WCE list management team determine he is.

HUN suggests we'll ask for 2 firsts, so take it from there.

I don't expect Hawks to pay some ridiculous overs.

WCE aren't accepting unders/'fair' for an elite KPD, who has 3 years left on his contract.

Get that last part into your head.

It's very similar to the Harley trade proposals last year. People were saying we had to trade, because the offers were 'fair'.

Next minute, no trade and Harley plays for WCE.

Then you keep him for another 3 years, miss out on draft capital, that you desperately need, and delay your regeneration.

Let’s not all pretend that only 1 club wants this trade.
I would be happy to keep him . Apart from McGovern who has 1 season left we don't have any quality key defenders

Absolute deadset rubbish. You're the one with the blinkers on and I'm a Freo supporter. Barrass has 5 years left in him according to Hawthorn's footy department. He'll go through a medical. It will be doctors who decide how much more footy Barrass has in him not footy suporters from Hawthorn or West Coast.

Last edited:
Absolute deadset rubbish. You're the one with the blinkers on and I'm Freo supporter. Barrass has 5 years left in him according to Hawthorn's footy department. He'll go through a medical. It will be doctors who decide how much more footy Barrass has in him not footy suporters from Hawthorn or West Coast.

Rubbish? This was reported in June at the time...if he has 5 years why are they hesitant to give him an extension, since most WC supporters claim he is so durable?

Like I said, they can't value so highly if they didn't want to entertain a restructuring of his existing contract...or maybe he just doesn't fit into their future plans..

Barrass is way better than most Hawthorn supporters think. Im a Freo supporter and Ive seen him dominate us in recent seasons. I think his year this year was as good as any Lake had and yes I think All Australian awards mean nothing. Luke Mcpharlin is our best ever key defender and he got one All Australian award. Barrass is an exceptional defender and in my opinion more consistent than Lake was over his career and yeah I don't think its even close.
Barrass is really good but he’s not even close to Lake.

Genuine question here - why are Hawthorn fans so worried about giving up an F1? 13 + F1 for Barrass + F2 should be something like 13 + 15 for Barrass + 20, effectively this year's first and a five pick downgrade next year for an A-grade KPF that fills a massive hole in a very good side.

Do any of you genuinely think you're going to improve your team and go backwards?

Barrass is contracted for 3 more years .

You will be over paying. Thats just the way it is
Our first is pretty much overs as is. 13 and a f2 is well overs.

There’s overs and there’s the ludicrous that 2 firsts in venturing into.

Genuine question here - why are Hawthorn fans so worried about giving up an F1? 13 + F1 for Barrass + F2 should be something like 13 + 15 for Barrass + 20, effectively this year's first and a five pick downgrade next year for an A-grade KPF that fills a massive hole in a very good side.

Do any of you genuinely think you're going to improve your team and go backwards?
I have no problems if we get something back, but some people on here think he is worth 2 first at a minimum...

I would rather give our f2 and get 3rd back tbh, f1 we need to keep for next year's trade target.

There’s nothing to suggest we will just continue to improve or have a good run with injuries. We have a wide range in performance.

Also there’s the nature of spending so much on someone like Barrass when we won’t get that long out of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back