Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question here - why are Hawthorn fans so worried about giving up an F1? 13 + F1 for Barrass + F2 should be something like 13 + 15 for Barrass + 20, effectively this year's first and a five pick downgrade next year for an A-grade KPF that fills a massive hole in a very good side.

Do any of you genuinely think you're going to improve your team and go backwards?

Not worried at all just don't want to overpay. Simple concept really. I don't think he's worth a first round pick, personally. And I rate him the 4th-5th best defender in the comp.

I have no problems if we get something back, but some people on here think he is worth 2 first at a minimum...

I would rather give our f2 and get 3rd back tbh, f1 we need to keep for next year's trade target.
To be honest, I think a lot of Hawks fans are trolling, but the idea that West Coast would start at two firsts is not unreasonable. Hawthorn were a kick away from a preliminary final and a genuine KPD is going to make them so much better. The hard work is done from Hawthorn's list management perspective while West Coast still have holes to fill. Asking for two firsts is prudent from our side and isn't going to hamper Hawthorn as much as other clubs. if you urgently needed midfielders I think two firsts would be off the table.

Who is next year's trade target?

There’s nothing to suggest we will just continue to improve or have a good run with injuries. We have a wide range in performance.

Also there’s the nature of spending so much on someone like Barrass when we won’t get that long out of him.
The fact that you're even chasing him suggests Hawthorn thinks they're in a premiership window. You don't chase 29yo KPP's if you're not. Even I would think that would be a waste of draft capital if you weren't in that window.

Genuine question here - why are Hawthorn fans so worried about giving up an F1? 13 + F1 for Barrass + F2 should be something like 13 + 15 for Barrass + 20, effectively this year's first and a five pick downgrade next year for an A-grade KPF that fills a massive hole in a very good side.

Do any of you genuinely think you're going to improve your team and go backwards?
I don't think anyone's worried. It'll be our first and a sweetener. He'll be 29 turning 30 next year. WC have gone back on their word in contract agreement with his manager.

The fact is that WC are more open in him leaving than you think.

Bloke won 3 flags and a Norm Smith for us. Nothing is gonna compare to that.
Right. The Richmond fans' equivalent of 'but he's a vice captain and going to win our B&F this year'.

To be honest, I think a lot of Hawks fans are trolling, but the idea that West Coast would start at two firsts is not unreasonable. Hawthorn were a kick away from a preliminary final and a genuine KPD is going to make them so much better. The hard work is done from Hawthorn's list management perspective while West Coast still have holes to fill. Asking for two firsts is prudent from our side and isn't going to hamper Hawthorn as much as other clubs. if you urgently needed midfielders I think two firsts would be off the table.

Who is next year's trade target?
So because the hawks supposedly don't need the draft capital we should just give it away?

The fact that you're even chasing him suggests Hawthorn thinks they're in a premiership window. You don't chase 29yo KPP's if you're not. Even I would think that would be a waste of draft capital if you weren't in that window.
The club is aiming to win flags. Doesn’t change that there is still a big difference in where we could finish next year. 2-3 years time we will most likely be top 4 next year is more unknown.

There’s nothing to suggest we will just continue to improve or have a good run with injuries. We have a wide range in performance.

Also there’s the nature of spending so much on someone like Barrass when we won’t get that long out of him.
Your club should know very well how first rounders can end up complete duds.

Look at DGB, for instance.

With the benefit of hindsight, If you could've given up pick 6 for our Barrass at the time you drafted DGB, your recruiters would've taken it in a second.

Christ there’s a lot of shit in here.
We’ve gone after the bloke. We would have a pretty good idea of what that cost is going to be and will pay it.

Thought first and future 2nd was about right. Now expecting 2 firsts and a second coming back most likely, but we aren’t going to drag this shit out. It’ll get done and I’m sure one or both sets of fans will be upset at the cost

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish? This was reported in June at the time...if he has 5 years why are they hesitant to give him an extension, since most WC supporters claim he is so durable?

Like I said, they can't value so highly if they didn't want to entertain a restructuring of his existing contract...or maybe he just doesn't fit into their future plans..
Yeah. Again deadset rubbish from Hawks supporters here. Yeah he was offered a 2 year extension. Its your footy department that rates him higher than WC's footy does. Kinda the point. What WC offered him means nothing now.

They're salivating at this year's draft on their board. They can't wait to get rid of Barrass
What have they got to salivate about?

Pick 3 they should use in the draft

Whatever they get for Barrass they will use on Baker which makes no sense

If they trade Waterman would help

Liam Ryan might get them something

But are they even going to trade the last 2 ?

Your club should know very well how first rounders can end up complete duds.

Look at DGB, for instance.

With the benefit of hindsight, If you could've given up pick 6 for our Barrass at the time you drafted DGB, your recruiters would've taken it in a second.
They can also end up superstars. You don’t trade picks on the sole assumption they’ll be either.

Also Barrass four years younger would be worth that to our current list. He’s got a lot more mileage and injuries.

They can also end up superstars. You don’t trade picks on the sole assumption they’ll be either.

Also Barrass four years younger would be worth that to our current list. He’s got a lot more mileage and injuries.

The draft's a gacha game. Any list manager in the country would go out and spend a top pick on an elite KPD if they think they were in the window, instead of speculating on a kid who may come good once the window's passed.

It simply depends on a where a club sees they are at in the cycle and clearly Hawthorn thinks they are coming into contention and the backline is the main thing holding them back, which is why they're going for Barrass and Battle. They're not loking for stop-gap players here, they're looking to cash in and win flags.

Christ there’s a lot of shit in here.
We’ve gone after the bloke. We would have a pretty good idea of what that cost is going to be and will pay it.

Thought first and future 2nd was about right. Now expecting 2 firsts and a second coming back most likely, but we aren’t going to drag this shit out. It’ll get done and I’m sure one or both sets of fans will be upset at the cost
I think the price was going to be right before you stormed home and won a final .

The higher up the ladder you guys got changed the expectations of this trade

I think the price was going to be right before you stormed home and won a final .

The higher up the ladder you guys got changed the expectations of this trade

Point being I’m sure we know what is needed and will end up paying whatever we need to, all this talk of our first is overs etc is just bullshit

They think they can offer 800k+ per year for 5 years for a CONTRACTED, KEY POSITION DEFENDER and get him for chips.
Like no? That has never been the case with contracted players, especially key position ones.
Two semi late firsts with something going back is more than fair for Barrass to pry him out.
Otherwise they wouldn’t offer 5 years on good money in the first place.

This isn’t like a Bailey Smith situation where he’s Out of contract, hasn’t played in 12 months coming off an ACL and has basically burnt his bridge. Barrass has been very professional and by word of Eagles players and management is still very much wanted there. Dogs offered Smith 2 years maximum on way less money as basically their way to spite him cause they don’t even want him there.

Two very different situations that people need to get their heads around.
There’s levels to this stuff. Deal will get done for Barrass and none of this rubbish back and forth will mean diddly squat

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back