Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Verbal agreement is also considered a contract in some cases
Its only $100k and im sure things could be sorted "If West Coast wanted to keep him"
We don't know what it is, what we do know is that WCE did in fact give him a bump but he expected more.

That's on people who no longer work at the club.

We also know that he's shopped himself around for the previous 2 seasons, despite only just inking a new contract he was happy with.

We also know he went directly against his own manager's advice to ask for a pay increase.

Alex Witherden was supposedly told by Simpson that he'd get a 2-year deal but he's now uncontracted and in limbo.

Should WCE honour that as well??

The beauty of this thread is this - 100s of pages of hand wringing about Tom being with 2 firsts etc.

Trade goes through at say pick 13 and a F2.

Cue the comments from WC and oppo fans - OMG HAWTHORN JUST GAVE UP PICK 13 FOR A 29 YEAR OLD WITH BACK INJURIES!!!!!

I can smell it a fn mile away.

We don't know what it is, what we do know is that WCE did in fact give him a bump but he expected more.

We also know that he's shopped himself around for the previous 2 seasons, despite only just inking a new contract he was happy with.

We also know he went directly against his own manager's advice to ask for a pay increase.

Alex Witherden was supposedly told by Simpson that he'd get a 2-year deal but he's now uncontracted and in limbo.

Of course not but then is he as valued as Barrass as you have said multiple times in this thread

The beauty of this thread is this - 100s of pages of hand wringing about Tom being with 2 firsts etc.

Cue the comments from WC and oppo fans - OMG HAWTHORN JUST GAVE UP PICK 13 FOR A 29 YEAR OLD WITH BACK INJURIES!!!!!

Why would we say that? Happy for him to stay.

But that doesnt change the fact that for such a good player that is worth 2 x 1st round picks and he is vice captain then clearly he is correct and is being under paid and deserves more. Money is not an issue for the eagles and would struggle to meet the cap floor so an extra $100k to get him to his value does not seem unreasonable if the eagles rate him enough to keep. Ben MacKay / Josh Battle are both around $900k+ and if you believe Barrass is better then keep your VC happy to keep him rather than pay a spud like jack Graham $600k.

All the signs point to the eagles wanting the trade capital and not interested in making the VC stay and finish his career

Witherden is Rubbish and he would be an idiot to believe he would have got 2 years

Apparently they call Tom Barrass the immovable object. Not because of his strength over the ball and inability to be moved, its because his back is so stuffed he can no longer move

Saying he's welcome to stay on the money's on now, is a very impolite way of saying we don't care too much about you.
Let's not forget that he ,"AGREED" to the contract that he signed.
Mitchell pissed in his ear last time they were over in WA and he is responsible for the current state of affairs.
Bit of a scum act really when you think about it.

Talking tough?….jesus it’s BigFooty not Fight Club

4 years or 5 years, it doesn’t matter. Deal will get done with Hawks paying to get him out.
That’s how it works.
Given you have started most of your posts referencing the fact that we have offered 5 years as a reason we should be giving the world for him, it absolutely does matter especially since it’s just blatantly incorrect.

In reality we’re offering to add 1 year onto his current deal and increase his wages.

If the eagles really did want to keep him, why would they not have just upped his current salary at some point over the last 2 years and called it a day? They’re the richest club in the afl with ample salary cap for the foreseeable future, so there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn’t just keep a premiership player happy, especially given it was apparently previously promised to him for turning down Sydney’s interest.

Both clubs want the deal to happen and it will likely be for less than the 2 first rounders you so bizarrely seem to be gunning for on behalf of another club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given you have started most of your posts referencing the fact that we have offered 5 years as a reason we should be giving the world for him, it absolutely does matter especially since it’s just blatantly incorrect.

In reality we’re offering to add 1 year onto his current deal and increase his wages.

If the eagles really did want to keep him, why would they not have just upped his current salary at some point over the last 2 years and called it a day? They’re the richest club in the afl with ample salary cap for the foreseeable future, so there is absolutely no reason why they wouldn’t just keep a premiership player happy, especially given it was apparently previously promised to him for turning down Sydney’s interest.

Both clubs want the deal to happen and it will likely be for less than the 2 first rounders you so bizarrely seem to be gunning for on behalf of another club
I support the Eagles holding him to his contract.
If we have the players renigging on their contracts where does it end?
We will end up like the American basketball players getting 10 mill a year.
Clubs would be broke in no time. We just don't have the population to support it.

I support the Eagles holding him to his contract.
If we have the players renigging on their contracts where does it end?
We will end up like the American basketball players getting 10 mill a year.
Clubs would be broke in no time. We just don't have the population to support it.
You're not holding him to a contract.

It gets done easily

Hang on? He signed his current deal to run from 2022 to 2027, which was a 5 year deal so if the Hawks add a year on top to push it to 2028, wouldn’t that make it a 6 year deal?
His contract doesn’t just cease to exist if he joins a new team? You can shuffle money around but the deal is in place, you can’t just not pay what he is owed and for the timeframe he was contracted for…

I’m assuming the Eagles are happy to let him go for the right price because they don’t want to overpay as they go through their rebuild.
If Hawks want to pay him that much (they do) then that doesn’t speak to anything about the current West Coast guys in charge who didn’t sign him to that deal, it just says Hawks badly want him.

But apparently they don’t want to pay up for him? So which is it? Do Hawks want him or do Hawks not want him?
You can’t offer big money but then claim you dont want to pay much to get a contracted key position player out.
It contradicts itself….

Why do you care soo much about what I think? As you put it, it was “bizarre” for me to weigh in on a trade! Even though every man and their dog is weighing in.
What is bizarre is you single me out?…why specifically my posts? There’s plenty of others saying what I’m saying.

Last edited:
You're not holding him to a contract.

It gets done easily
He is a contracted player...Yes? That DOES mean we don't have to trade him if we don't want to.
We can hold him to the contract he negotiated. I doubt that will happen, but we can certainly negotiate from a position of power.

Last edited:
I'm trying to consider an equivalent here.

Also trying not to sound too biased.

However, for me it comes back to the same concept of Hawthorn trading contractes players O'Meara and Mitchell due to the stage we were at in our rebuild.

The difference of course being that it was obvious the removal of those two would improve our midfield immediately.

The scenario for Barrass and West Coast is similar, with the main differences being that Tom is a key position player (who can be valued differently), and losing him won't necessarily improve West Coasts backline.

However, when you compare the two scenarios, and what Hawthorn were happy to accept for Mitchell and O'Meara, then pick 13 and a future 2nd or third honestly very fair.

Hang on? He signed his current deal to run from 2022 to 2027, which was a 5 year deal so if the Hawks add a year on top to push it to 2028, wouldn’t that make it a 6 year deal?
His contract doesn’t just cease to exist if he joins a new team? You can shuffle money around but the deal is in place, you can’t just not pay what he is owed and for the timeframe he was contracted for…

I’m assuming the Eagles are happy to let him go for the right price because they don’t want to overpay as they go through their rebuild.
If Hawks want to pay him that much (they do) then that doesn’t speak to anything about the current West Coast guys in charge who didn’t sign him to that deal, it just says Hawks badly want him.

But apparently they don’t want to pay up for him? So which is it? Do Hawks want him or do Hawks not want him?
You can’t offer big money but then claim you dont want to pay much to get a contracted key position player out.
It contradicts itself….

Why do you care soo much about what I think? As you put it, it was “bizarre” for me to weigh in on a trade! Even though every man and their dog is weighing in.
What is bizarre is you single me out?…why specifically my posts? There’s plenty of others saying what I’m saying.
1. As of next year he will have 3 years left on his current deal ending in 2027, we have offered him a 4 year deal which would take him through to 2028.

2. If eagles actually wanted to keep him they would have rewarded a long time servant and premiership player of the club by increasing his contract, especially given it was apparently promised to him after he turned down the move to the swans.

Why didn’t Geelong pay 4 first round picks to gws when they wanted to poach Cameron? You offered a massive contract to one of the best key forwards in the comp, why didn’t you pay up?

The reason hawthorn won’t just “pay up” is exactly the same reason Geelong didn’t just pay the first request that gws made. Both sides have leverage in these trades.

Eagles clearly value low picks and opening up a space in the team for Edwards more than a 29 year old key defender, who has a significant back injury.

Why single you out? You’re an opposition fan who is
1. Completely incorrect about the terms that the hawks have offered to barrass despite using it as the basis of the reason we should be giving up the world.
2. Ignoring all of the nuance of the situation and dumbing down any actual discussion of the trade by bleating “hawk offer contract, pay price now”

I'm trying to consider an equivalent here.

Also trying not to sound too biased.

However, for me it comes back to the same concept of Hawthorn trading contractes players O'Meara and Mitchell due to the stage we were at in our rebuild.

The difference of course being that it was obvious the removal of those two would improve our midfield immediately.

The scenario for Barrass and West Coast is similar, with the main differences being that Tom is a key position player (who can be valued differently), and losing him won't necessarily improve West Coasts backline.

However, when you compare the two scenarios, and what Hawthorn were happy to accept for Mitchell and O'Meara, then pick 13 and a future 2nd or third honestly very fair.
We arent forcing Barrass out, hes shopping himself around and we are just allowing him to do so IF a suitable trade presented.
Not quite what you guys had with Mitchell and Omeara

We arent forcing Barrass out, hes shopping himself around and we are just allowing him to do so IF a suitable trade presented.
Not quite what you guys had with Mitchell and Omeara

But it will certainly help with your rebuild, which is of great importance.

Pick 13 (or at the very least, the 13th best player available in the open pool if you want to consider the bids on father sons etc) is a great addition to your draft hand.

But it will certainly help with your rebuild, which is of great importance.

Pick 13 (or at the very least, the 13th best player available in the open pool if you want to consider the bids on father sons etc) is a great addition to your draft hand.
I agree thatd be a great addition, but at the same time we arent pushing him out, hes wanting out on his own steam while being contracted.

It contradicts itself….

lol is this real?
Quick maths

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back