Tom Mitchell 50 possessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Just a touch ironic that it was Treloar mocking him for cheap possessions!!!

Is this the same Treloar that leads the team in clearances and inside 50s, is a close 2nd in metres gained, and a close 3rd in contested possessions?

Nathan Buckley said it best.

We didn't tag him because we felt he wasn't hurting us. 50 possessions? Did he? Well, we just felting he wasn't hurting us
Sounds like Buckley describing himself as a player

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Turned it straight over every single time
Yeah that's untrue.

34 effective disposals, and 22 contested possessions.

When you have 50 you're not going to be going at 100%, but he put it in the right place more often than not.

I watched the game as well. I know some of his kicks were sideways and there were 1-2 handballs etc, but the bloke had a quality game. Without him the Hawks wouldn't have been anywhere near it

You are either taking the piss or have no idea about the game. Buckley was one of the best kicks in football
Got big possession numbers in mediocre teams. Same as Mitchell last night

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it hard to bag a bloke who gets 50 touches playing the same way he does every single week. This isn't like Danger getting 50 and only 300m gained, last night IS Tom Mitchells game.

Problem is Hawthorns second and third best midfielder, Isaac Smith and maybe Liam Shiels? Surely one of the worst midfield groups in recent times.

Is this the same Treloar that leads the team in clearances and inside 50s, is a close 2nd in metres gained, and a close 3rd in contested possessions?

It's not really the stats. He's just more dynamic.

Treloar's quick, wins clearances, breaks the lines, kicks goals, busts open packs and is as strong as an ox. He's got iffy disposal, but so does Danger. Treloar's on a completely different level to Mitchell.

That said, Mitchell is a good player and not his team's problem. It's the rest of the Hawthorn midfield that is the issue.

Last edited:

Is this the same Mitchell who leads the team in contested possessions, clearances and score involvements, and is 2nd for inside 50s and metres gained?

You can twist stats however you want. Watch the footy.

So if a great player plays well, but he's in a mediocre team - this somehow tarnishes his quality as a player. By your logic Bob Skilton, Paul Roos, Haydn Bunton & Robert Flower must have not been good players as their teams mostly lost.

Mitchell was immense last night.

50 possessions no matter how you shake it is impressive. People wanting to bag him for little hurt factor when his game is based around getting the ball out of packs to other people who then hurt the other team.

Played a lone hand in the Hawks midfield and gets bagged on for it.
The problem is I think that last night he wasn't getting the ball to others to hurt the opposition.

Instead of the wide pack busting handballs he can produce he was dropping short ones to teammates under pressure which inevitably resulted in him get repeat touches in the space of 10 seconds.

And his kicking lacked polish last night, sure he's prone to the odd hoof outta the pack but it seemed his go to kick last night.

Sure parts of that is his teammates but part of it is his decision making let him down. Still a good game but when the opposition doesn't tag you because you're not hurting them even with 50 touches can you say you've had a great game?

I'm not sure.

Player ratings are hit and miss, but sheer weight of numbers usually propels players right to the top. Not so with Tom, they really did not rate his game. Like one of the most ineffective high disposal games in the history of football.

DARTTrZV0AI2dkN.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Mitchell 50 possessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back