Frankencow

Club Legend
Aug 27, 2006
Kensington
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
South Yarra
As I don't go to VFL games, I was wondering if anyone knows where Tommy is playing and, if the saw him, how he's coming along? I apologise if there's a similar thread (didn't look to be from the last two pages of thread titles), but I think this would be a great way for those that know to keep the rest of us informed on how the Tommy Gun is progressing.

So is he playing?
Where?
How's he been going?

I saw him in the intra-club and he looked to be a long way off.

I went to the Sandy game yesterday which he played in (against Port Melbourne).

Was at half-back for the game. He's committed and can take a good mark. His disposal is alright - could do with some improvement, but passable for now.

Biggest scope for improvement is his positioning. His opponent was losing him at will, and he over-committed in a few contests.

Will be interesting to see if he's selected when the VFL season starts, as he obviously still needs a lot of work. I'm hopeful he'll get there, but would be seriously surprised if he plays for the Saints this year.

It should be encouraging for Tommy fans that Setanta is starting to come good I think.

Well, I don't think we should be expecting miracles in terms of a rapid progression into the senior team but I'd like to think he develops a little quicker than Setanta.

On asked tonight whether Walsh will make it, Riewoldt could not have been more emphatic. "Far too good an athlete not to".

Hopefully Roo was referring to his discipline to learn and apply.

He needs to learn to read the play. Without that even gifted athlete's fail.

He needs to learn to read the play. Without that even gifted athlete's fail.

Early days (only played 3 games of competitive footy). I'd say we should have a much better idea in 6 weeks - if he still can't maintain touch on his opponent at VFL level (i.e. he's not learning) then I'll be a little worried.

Mind you, I don't think he is being recruited as a defender anyway.

Otherwise I was comforted by Rooey's comments.

Early days (only played 3 games of competitive footy). I'd say we should have a much better idea in 6 weeks - if he still can't maintain touch on his opponent at VFL level (i.e. he's not learning) then I'll be a little worried.

Mind you, I don't think he is being recruited as a defender anyway.

Otherwise I was comforted by Rooey's comments.

I too was "comforted" by Roo's words as he is ina much better position to judge than I am.

Walsh has played so far what 3 or 4 games of footy? So very very early days yet.
Jim Stynes took a few years to develop but yet won the Brownlow. So I am not worried about Tommy at all. Good steady improvement is all that we should expect at present.

Agree that he is likely to end up forward. But playing defence is an easier way to learn the game. However he could end up at either end and in part this could be decided by who else is still playing at the time.

For eaxmple if Stanley develops as a key forward, rather than ruck, and noting the excellent knews from Roo that he now wants to play as long as his body will let him (ie well beyond 30) one could imagine Roo finishing his career at FF with Stanley at CHF. In whchch case Tommy could be ona HFF, but given his size may well play CHB or FB.

As an "athletic" day dream just imagine a key position goal to goal line of:

FF: Riewoldt
CHF:Stanley
CHB:Walsh
FB: Gaertner

Whilst he's currently off the park injured, I'm still backing Simpkin to make the grade. With Wool coming along nicely, and Zac, Gilbo and Raph only being around 24yo, hopefully we be well covered down back in years to come.

Walsh is a massive unit on the ground, and already knows how to kick long to a leading target and handball instinctively. Not bad for a recent convert.

If anyone can teach him body positioning (in addition to normal game time) it is SOS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst he's currently off the park injured, I'm still backing Simpkin to make the grade
. With Wool coming along nicely, and Zac, Gilbo and Raph only being around 24yo, hopefully we be well covered down back in years to come.

Walsh is a massive unit on the ground, and already knows how to kick long to a leading target and handball instinctively. Not bad for a recent convert.

If anyone can teach him body positioning (in addition to normal game time) it is SOS.
spoke to Tom at the game on the weekend and he is coming back next week and will play a half in the seconds. really rate this kid and good to see him returning to the park

spoke to Tom at the game on the weekend and he is coming back next week and will play a half in the seconds. really rate this kid and good to see him returning to the park

Ta - that's really good news. I was starting to wonder whether he'd miss a chunk of the season.

Given that Walsh was capable of reading the play in the Irish game , I think it would be very premature to think that he wouldn't be capable of reading the play in Aussie rules.
Its just different and will require an adjustment period.
Would he be playing senior VFL level if he wasn't good enough? I reckon he'd be in the ressies if thats all he was capable of.
How many Australians play VFL level even after they grow up playing football.

Would he be playing senior VFL level if he wasn't good enough?

Will be interesting when Gaertner, Simpkin, Johnson, Dempster, and Clarke are all available for VFL selection (maybe only a couple of weeks away). Maybe they will switch Raph forward (or possibly decide it's time to play Drago forward), although noting Raph is very much pushing for AFL selection based on the weekend's performance.

But St Kilda's window is closing and we have zero depth... :rolleyes:

Wed best trade Rooey to Richmond for Cousins, cause the Cuz man will win us a premiership yo! The newspaper told me so, so it must be true!

It'll be interesting to see if Drago is pushed forward, I would think Sandy a little big if he does though that he simply might be relegated merely for a match up sense.

Will be interesting when Gaertner, Simpkin, Johnson, Dempster, and Clarke are all available for VFL selection (maybe only a couple of weeks away). Maybe they will switch Raph forward (or possibly decide it's time to play Drago forward), although noting Raph is very much pushing for AFL selection based on the weekend's performance.

Unless someone in the AFL team loses form or gets injured, Raph may end up with a "Matt Maguire" season. Peake, Gwilt, and Geary are too good to drop so far. Not sure that he would get the spot of a tall ( Pattison ) and I hope that Sam Fisher's return is not too far off.
( I have to clean the drool off the keyboard if I even think about the amount of run we would get from a backline with Fisher , Gilbert, Gram and J Smith ).

Have a read through the Sandringham Zebras thread. That's our VFL team and he's been making some excellent progress. He's actually been named amongst the best players for the past 4 games.

Many of our regular Zebras watchers still think he's got a fair way to go in his development before he gets a game with St Kilda but the signs are good.

He's still very much wanted at this stage Dingo. :)

Well Setanta had a Hurling background and not Gaelic Football like Tommy. So there is no real comparison.

Tommy hid have a Hurling background as well. Only difference is he changed over to Gaelic and became a superstar in Gaelic. Shows how well he can adapt .

Tommy has been improving every week and has picked up the skills like kicking and marking quite quickly. Still needs to work on game awareness and little things that go with it.

Heard they are going to take the next step in his progression and start to play him up forward now.

I will watch him and give my thoughts on him as the season progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tommy Walsh - Season 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Back