top 10 easier to pick now..

Remove this Banner Ad

would there be any chance of Benjamin remaining unitl our second pick of the draft (#25 i think)?

tiger4life said:
would there be any chance of Benjamin remaining unitl our second pick of the draft (#25 i think)?
I would severely doubt it, but then again, I doubted that Cleve Hughes would be around at #24 last year, and definitely wouldn't have thought that Andrew Swallow could last until pick #43.

tiger4life said:
what about Jack Riewoldt?

if thorp fell to us that would be fantastic, but if we were after a midfielder it would be proud or slewood.

It just doesnt seem to be TW's way. If he fell to our second pick, unlikely, we probaly go for him. But i think TW wants more speed. I think our team in 3-4 years will be unbelivably quick.

Is proud from queensland???
Benjamin may become a quick leading forward swaping with lids if we get him.

Calcium Man said:
It just doesnt seem to be TW's way. If he fell to our second pick, unlikely, we probaly go for him. But i think TW wants more speed. I think our team in 3-4 years will be unbelivably quick.

Is proud from queensland???
Benjamin may become a quick leading forward swaping with lids if we get him.

yes proud is from queensland. Im pretty sure he was the captain of Queensland U'18 side at the National Carnival.

philhawk said:
Mate, i'm not having a go at you, but when will St Kilda actually recruit a good ruck prospect with one of their early picks?

They had the chance in 04 with Cameron Wood.

They had the chance in 05 with Max Bailey.

Surely they'll go for one now ...

Nah, we need midfielders.

St Kilda midfield 2007
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna
Foll: Koschitzke, Ball, Baker

Backup: Harvey, Goddard, McQualter, McGough, Fiora, X.Clarke, Gram

It looks good until you get past Goddard. Just say we lose on of Lenny/Ball/Dal, then McQualter would have to spend about 70 minutes in the centre square each game, and he's just not big enough to have an impact. McGough and Fiora are just depth players and X.Clarke and Gram are needed elsewhere.

Ruck stocks (in order 1-5): Koschitzke, Ackland, Brooks, Rix, Blake

If we can keep Kos on the field for the whole year he'll slot nicely into the number one ruck position, while Ackland can hold his own against most second ruckmen, and Brooks could be anything. No point in recruiting a ruckman with potential to do well in 3-4 years when we'll have Kos and Brooks tearing them up in the prime of their careers.

That said, I would've preferred that we kept pick 17 last year and either drafted the best available midfielder or Bailey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calcium Man said:
A lot of people think the Tigers will take a KPP, but unless Gumbleton, hansen or Thorp fall to us i think we will take either proud or benjamin.

I do not think we will go near Jetta (Best name in the draft).

Bingo!

If one of Gumbleton, Hansen or Thorp dont fall to us - which they wont, Clinton Benjamin will be in a Tiger guersey at pick 8.

He is exactly what Richmond are building their team to do. Just like Jarrod Oakleigh - Nicholls, Brett Deledio, Richard Tambling, Danny Meyer, Travis Casserley, Matthew White, Andrew Raines etc he is built for pace and skill. Terry Wallace has the plan in place when he got the job, before that even, that a team with more pace and skill than the other team will win more than not. Once developed this team will be highly exciting.

I can just see Clinton Benjamin in the Tiger number 9.

With our second round pick we will move for a Eric McKenzie or Nathan Brown if available.

philhawk said:
If Wallace drafts Benjamin it'll almost definitely confirm what i'm thinking about his coaching style.

He's trying to change the game to one dominated by fast, tall pacy midfielders.

It's an interesting thought, whether it works it a different matter.

I dont think he is trying to change the game, if a hansen or gumbleton or thorpe fell to our pick we would take them in a heart beat, they are very classy KPP. But i think he believes that taking a Benjamin or proud who will run fast and move the ball extremely quickly will make an average forward look really good.

And i do not believe we will take jetta.

I have just a little bit to say about Richmond's draft this year.

Firstly, I agree with the many others who say that if Thorp, Hansen or Gumbleton fall to us (which is very unlikely) we would snatch them up.
If this were not to happen IMO we would be looking at Benjamin, Proud, Riewoldt and Jetta with out top pick (#8).

One we would definately be looking at is Benjamin. Tall, super-quick and skilful, he is just the kind of player TW likes. (lots of people would like Benjamin at Richmond from what i've heard)
Just wondering how tall Benjamin is as mojo has him down at 189cm in the profiles he did a while back, whereas in an article on him last year, he is listed at 192cm. (surely he would've grown one or 2cm since last year as well) see article here;
http://www.theage.com.au/news/Geoff-McClure/Sporting-Life/2005/04/13/1113251680511.html

Proud looks a very good midfield type, quick, skilled, strong and i think we would be very interested in him as well (many others agree with this).

Just wondering why, at this stage, many people feel strongly about us not selecting Riewoldt or Jetta? Surely TW will look at these kids but do people have doubts about them? Do they not fit our team structure? Or are they just not as good as Benjamin and Proud in people's opinions?

I'll have a lash at my top 10.

1 - Carlton - Bryce Gibbs
2 - Essendon - Gumbleton
3 - Kangaroos - Hanson
4 - Brisbane - Sellar
5 - Port - Proud
6 - Hawks - Jetta
7 - Geelong - Reiwoldt
8 - Richmond - Benjamin
9 - Bulldogs - Leuenberger
10 - Melbourne - Selwood

Reasons
Teams will more than likely always choose the best available player which is why i put Gibbs at 1.

Essendon will pick Gumbleton because they need a real quality key position player as Lucas and Fletcher get older.

Roos are desparate for a defender therefore Hansen.

Brisbane will pick Sellar on best available basis.

Port wil choose Proud becasue after the loss of Francou, James and Carr they need a tough midfielder.

Hawks choose Jetta for pace in midfield as good as Mitchell, Hodge etc are he is a bit of a reciever and they can feed to him for pace.

Cats take Reiwoldt becasue of his athletisism and ability to play either end. as a key position player. And they dont have anyone like him ie a mobile key position except Mooney.

Richmond take Benjamin on best available basis plus fits into their style.

Hawks do need pace in the midfield, and Jetta seems to qualify for that but not in expense of a better player. With Ellis, Tuck, Muston coming through we do have some runners and outside players, but another one would nice.

Key position: Dowler, Roughead, Franklin, Williams, Little Murphy etc seems to be a decent forward line.

Backline: Croad, Jacobs, Gilham, Birchall, Brown, Osborne, Guerra.... definately lacking one tall... a mobile key position type like Thorp would be great. Makes sense with the Tassie connection as well and drafting Birchall last year be nice to have a habit of drafting Tassie players. However, he has to get past Port first.

Remove this Banner Ad

top 10 easier to pick now..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back