top 10 players we need fit and in form

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
these are not our best 10 players or my favourite 10 players but our most important players for our structure when these players are playing they free up other players to play other roles or they add something that no-one else on our list can.

1. Warnock- he is no.1 on my list because if fit he will be our no.1 ruckmen and free up Kreuzer to play forward.

2. Jamison- by playing fullback he takes the no.1 forward freeing up bower and thornton to play on the 2nd and 3rd best forwards.

3. Bower- if he can play at chb every week then we can use waite at ff or chf.

4. Waite- he is our most versatile and talented tall

5. McLean- he can play as the extractor in the middle letting Judd play as a reciever were he can be more dangerous.

6. Judd- his leadership, fitness, skills and ablity to win games.

7. O'hAilpin- at ff he will be taller, bigger and stronger than most. he also frees up waite or kreuzer.

8. Russell- if he can play in the back pocket in the same form he was in in late 2009 he can free up joseph to play in the midfeild as our no.1 tagger

9. Walker- is a fitness machine, will add pace and can play kp if need.

10. Carrazzo- is a versatile hardnut and a workhorse whose skill are improving every year.

these are not our best 10 players or my favourite 10 players but our most important players for our structure when these players are playing they free up other players to play other roles or they add something that no-one else on our list can.

I think we need all the players contributing.

I liked Wallsy measure last year, when he said that for Carlton to improve we needed our bottom 6 players to lift their game and contribute more consistently.

In May last year, Wallsy listed Russell, Cloke, Wiggins, Houlihan, O'hAilpin and Thorton as the bottom 6 that had to put in. I reckon Russell and Thorton improved in the 2nd half of the year and so did Carlton.

Its not easy, but I think the bottom 6 players that we need to deliver more consistently this year are:

1. Ryan Houlihan,
2. Fisher
3. Setanta O'hAilpin
4. Hampson
5. Walker
6. Johnson

Getting more out these players on a consistent basis would be a huge bonus.

1. Judd
2. Murphy
3. Gibbs
4. Waite
5. Jamison
6. Kreuzer
7. Bower
8. McLean
9. Thornton
10. Henderson

It's pretty much just a 'list your best players' exercise with a twist. There is no doubt our 3 most important players are our midfielders. Talls provide structure, but they dont have the ability to win games off their own boot without midfield support.

After the chosen trio, it would be our key defensive and offensive posts ie FB with Jamo and Waite at FF. Kreuzer and Bower CHF and CHB respectively.

McLean is an unknown as yet, but he will free up Judd to make our number one player much more dangerous. Thornton generals the defence is an excellent 3rd man up in contests.

Henderson is a massive unknown, but if he can kick around 30-40 goals this year he will push us a long way towards playing finals.

1. Chris Judd
2. Marc Murphy
3. Bryce Gibbs
4. Michael Jamison
5. Jarred Waite
6. Matthew Kreuzer
7. Paul Bower
8. Robbie Warnock
9. Brock McLean
10. Lachlan Henderson​

I won't name most of the usual suspects above; Judd and Murphy already give 100% :thumbsu: Small improvements will occur in our other stars but here's a selection of the next tier:

1. Shaun Grigg. 2010 will be the year he steps up and cements himself in our team as a wingman.

2. Mark Austin. He's been the next big thing for a couple of years now - it's time to repay the faith in Wayne Hughes' subsequent obsession with flankers.

3. Steven Browne. Can carve a niche as a small defender. As his endurance improves, will add something to our midfield rotations.

4. Sam Jacobs. All he has to do is palm the ball into Judd/Murphy/Gibbs hands 30 times a game and we can develop Hampson as a key position player.

5. and 6. Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett. Eddie Betts may well be on the '3 strikes' GC trade policy, so it's vital we fast track our other small forward options.

7. Chris Johnson. Drafting blunder? Has no defensive skills whatsoever but with precision kicking to forward targets, he could reinvent himself as a goal-a-game HFF.

8. Simon White. 21 year old medium defender who could slot straight in. Over the years we've tried Walker, Carrazzo, Houlihan, Johnson and Wiggins in that role - all better suited elsewhere.

Oops, that's only 8.:p In adjusting to the post-Fev game plan, I think we'll be doing well to hold our 7th position. To rise up the ladder the likes of the above just outside our best 22 will need to step up.

I have no idea why Walker is on peoples lists :confused:

How is he important to our structure?

What position does he even play?

IMO he is just a luxury flanker type, that will most likely be chucked in the team where ever we can fit him because of his potenical. Certainly not in the top 10 we NEED to have play 22 (or 25 ;))

We really need our talls to stand up this year. Amazing how we could never even get close to having our full compliment of talls available for us in 2009. Guys like Waite, Jamison, Austin, Warnock and Jacobs are vital to our structures, and if these blokes, and the other talls can stay injury free, we should play finals two years in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 players we need fit and firing:

1. Jamo - We need this guy out there as our linchpin in defense. I would love to know our scores against when he plays v's when he doesn't. He allows Thornton to play on a 3rd forward and rebound. FB

2. Waite - With Judd he is the other true superstar in our team. Many have hopes of him being our CHF, this is not what Waite does. I think depending on the match up he will be important as a swing man on either flank. HFF/HBF

3. Judd - for obvious reasons. Rover

4. Murphy - Last year he showed he has some real goal kicking strength...............when he was drafted he was compared to Cousins, but could kick goals. Needs to work on that hard ball a little more though. Mid

5. Mclean - he will allow Judd to play a more attacking role on the flanks. C

6. Kruezer - Again many fancy him as a CHF, I prefer him as a ruck/200cm rover. With his tank and growing physical pressence I want to see him work both ends of the ground even more. Ruck

7. Bower - We need him to be able to hold down the 2nd forward so Thornton can execute the rebounds out of the D50. CHB

8. Joseph - His niggle and ability to shut players down last year helped us more than many appreciate.............he seems to be the only player on our list with the mental fortitude willing to sacrifice his game for the Team. Utility type

9. Simpson - His consistancy, run and delivery are vital on a wing. I would like to see him be more accountable though. Wing

10. Carrazzo - A strange one I know, but he is very versatile and I would like to see him shifted around and be used as a blocker for Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson and Mclean. Utility

Ten players we need improvement from:

1. Russell - Showed real signs late last year as a defender and rebounder. We need him to take this form and run with it. His disposals and decision making can be poor, but I have noticed when he runs with the ball it all comes together for him (the boy thinks to much, needs to rely on his instincts).........just run boy run! Position HBF/BP

2. Hampson - Ruck or Forward that is going to be the $1m question......I see a 200cm FF in the making with lightning pace. Ruch/FF

3. Yarran - All reports and vision I have seen he is looking amazing. I have no doubt he will go missing this year at times, but I am sure he is going to light up games. With either Setanta or Hampson as FF options we need great crumbers and readers of the play at their feet. HFF/FP

4. Robinson - It looks as though he has put on some real size, this was probably the only thing letting him down and flattening his impact. His heriocs, toughness and forward line pressure are vital to our teams success. HFF

5. Gibbs - Why is he here? becouse I feel he is still doing an apprenticeship. Last year he played off the back of the square as a qtr back, I would like to see him moved up onto a HFF and the year after as a true rover. I have seen our F50 as a weakness for a period of time.....even with Fev. Gibbs would add some football nouse and leadership down there, not to mention some sublime skills. HFF/Wing

6. Henderson - My expectaions aren't high as he is still a baby.....a big one at that! All we need this year is from him is to contest as much as possible and be a target at CHF. He will get tired and sore (no doubt), that is why it vital we have Hampson and Setanta fit so Hampson can step into FF and possibly Setanta as a CHF for spells during games. CHF

7. Grigg - At the start of last year he was ready to explode and then I think from memory his ankle did! I wouldn't be surprised if they have held him back a little this year so he doesn't peak to early. Grigg I see as an interchange mid/forward/wingmen........break out year!

8. Browne - I have one position in mind for him this year........back pocket. We need that toughness and determination down there. He would ideally be in the midfield but there are to many in front of him. Browne has the football brain to play ate either end or in centre......

9. Setenta - A great deal of pressure is going to be placed on his shoulders this year...........we needs him to be a FF. He showed real signs last year until Fev took him out.

10. Walker - Still only 23 and has been plagued by shoulder problems for the past 2 seasons. He needs consistancy.........the question everyone mind is where to play him? Some say forward, other say back, I think we should plonk him on a wing and let him go. His kicking can be average at times, especially when he tries to kick long like back in the Pagan days. If we want upside and improvement this guy can give us it in spades....with both him and Waite roaming around the wings, then going forward or back as the team needs will give us a tremendous edge over many other teams. We have for to long tried to get Walker to fill holes, now we have the depth lets play in a role that comes natural to him.

Cheers All.

Top 10 players we need fit and firing.

Ten players we need improvement from.

In terms of the top ten players, I think Betts and Warnock will be important to the team’s success, probably moreso than Carazzo.

Of the lower tier players that need to lift and play more consistently IMO are:

1. Russell
2. Hampson
3. Grigg
4. Setanta
5. Walker
6. Houlihan
7. Fisher
8. Johnson

Basically we need all players to contribute and play consistently for Carlton to improve.

Waite has to be No1 IMO closely followed by Jamison & Bower.

I reckon they were the only players we really missed when they were out of the side last year.

Having said that, alot of our top players played every game last year so it will be handy if we could get a similar return from them this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

top 10 players we need fit and in form

Remove this Banner Ad

Back