Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stokesy just goes about his game without fanfare and always stands up when needed.

I think Varcoe is the cats most skilled player. Fast, big tank, great tackler and great foot skills. Just lacks that instinctive footy brain to get himself into the right position and keep himself in the game for longer periods. Lacks self belief also but this has improved a lot this year.

I like Stokesy but can't agree with this. His shocking grand final performance in 2008 in allowing Hodge to dominate while doing sweet FA was pivotal in the Hawks winning the premiership.

In this years Grand Final, Stokesy was simply horrible. Clanger after clanger (31% disposal efficiency) and crazy undisciplined pings at goals when better options were available were the order of the day.

The stupid 50m penalty to gift Ball a goal was the icing on the cake.

Thankfully a few others picked up the slack.

massively overrted by the media, i've honesly never seen anything like it.

premiership medals have nothing to do with it
Everything to do with IT when you're talking about poverty.

As a Carlton supporter I have to disagree....does a role in the sense that he can he relieves Judd, Murphy & co at times with a good chop out BUT his poor decision making and poor disposal almost negates that.

The guy just cannot kick...seriously it has not improved over 7 or 8 years or so when it really should have.

He is also extremely prone to U-turning and kicking around corners without looking at his target...something that really sh*ts alot of Carlton supporters.

For some unknown reason he is often the last link in a chain of handballs and really he should never be that designated kicker.

He's the kind of player you'd rather see get 5 kicks and 20 handballs than the other way around.

I really like the guy and could never fault his endeavour, he just doesn't have the polish that's needed as a midfielder in 2011.

He provides handy midfield depth to our rotations but underrated is something he is definitely not.

His "poor decision making and poor disposal" led him to a better disposal efficiency than Houlihan, Tuohy and Simpson, 3 players raved about for their skills by Carlton players, as well as playing a more contested role than them.

The u turns you talk about are also extremely logical and useful. He turns to create time and space when there is no option available that he thinks he can hit. He then spots an option and kicks to where they should be. Exactly what players like Ablett and Scotland do. The only downside to the U-turns and kicking around corners that you complain about is that Carrazzo has slightly poorer execution than these players, so he misses 10% more targets.

I'm old enough to still consider Simon Black as both a star AND as underrated by most fans. Pavlich would be a legend if he played for a big 4 club.

His "poor decision making and poor disposal" led him to a better disposal efficiency than Houlihan, Tuohy and Simpson, 3 players raved about for their skills by Carlton players, as well as playing a more contested role than them.

The u turns you talk about are also extremely logical and useful. He turns to create time and space when there is no option available that he thinks he can hit. He then spots an option and kicks to where they should be. Exactly what players like Ablett and Scotland do. The only downside to the U-turns and kicking around corners that you complain about is that Carrazzo has slightly poorer execution than these players, so he misses 10% more targets.

I'm old enough to still consider Simon Black as both a star AND as underrated by most fans. Pavlich would be a legend if he played for a big 4 club.

I'd hazard a guess that his DE is higher because he handballs far more than those 3 do - remember I was talking about kicking - ok so he hits is handballs as he rightfully should.

Wow. you are comparing him to Ablett now. Ablett u-turns and then finds more space to run into and straighten up. Carazzo u-turns and kicks over his shoulder facing the opposite direction, half of which these kicks go further in the air than they do toward the target.

Are you Carazzo's mum or something?

He's an OK player but his deficiencies are their for all and sundry to see mate. Why sugar coat it? We can't have 22 Judd/Murphys ;).

Colin Garland, Reece Shaw and Heath Scotland.

Milne is underrated however this is a result of the fact that many people can't warm to him. Personally, can't stand him but would have him on my team.

From the Saints i'd say Gwilt, Dempster and Fisher.

I know Fisher is quite high profile and Saints fans love him, yet I rarely hear people rate him up there with the best backs in the AFL and I personally think he's been extraordinary over the last few years in one of the best defences the AFL has seen. Especially 2009 and 2011.

From the past, I'd say that Jason Blake was always criminally underrated. Not saying by any means that he was a star, or even close to it, but he seriously did a job every week consistently over the last 5 or so years.

The game and injuries have looked to catch up with him however.

Yeah why anyone would say Kelly is underrated is beyond me. The guy seriously stepped up this yr after being v good but rated about right..as soon as he did take another step tho it was instantly recognised...rated about right his whole career.
Enright ?? geezus how is he UNDERrated ? Whilst i;ve got the utmost respect for the guy and he's a bloody star you could argue he MAY have been a bit of a darling with the AA selectors over recent seasons. Even honest Geelong fans will remember he played some bloody ordinary footy early this season..then just worked his way in and had a v good season in the end. BUT..given a choice i would've chosen say Fisher over him in a second for AA as a full season. Fisher is one bloke possibly underrated coz could have v easily been 3 time AA by now instead of 1, been regular squad, whilst Enright's career MIGHT be a little over at 4AA's is it ??? Longer career too tho i suppose.
Enright's a star and deserves the praise but would be one of the last i'd called underrated.

Darren Glass is still a bit underrated to me.
Went from being fairly rated 5 yrs ago to being underrated. Suffered some injury setbacks but even this season when he was absolutely killing it, very few seemed to want to recognise it till v late season. Lucky he got noticed by the AA selectors. Never in the east coast media but one of the truly great FB's of the recent era. Bock had a bloody good season too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rance (one of maybe 5% of comp who will shirk NO contest)
K Hunt (overpaid but underrated by most)
Cotchin (the highest rating possible would still have him being underrated in my eyes)
Josh Gibson (very important this year)
Zac Dawson (controversial?)
Sean Wight (a blast from the past but highly underrated - RIP)
Daniel Jackson (kidding)

. Even honest Geelong fans will remember he played some bloody ordinary footy early this season..then just worked his way in and had a v good season in the end.

Not correct, he played great footy in the first 5 rounds, then had a bit of a poor run after the bye (round 6) before picking his game up again around round 11.

His best form was from rounds 1-5 IMO.

Need 50 or more games to be classed as underated IMO. Before that your just unknown I spose

1. Matt Rosa
2. Todd Goldstein
3. Nathan Foley
4. Travis Boak
5. Jude Bolton
6. Shaun Burgoyne
7. Farren Ray
8. Greg Broughton
9. Andrew Raines
10. Scott Selwood

Good pick up, he's surely got to be considered one of the best, possibly the best small forward in the game's history - yet doesn't get the accolades of say a Budy Franklin or Chris Judd (in there respective roles).

Bullshit.

He has a very good career for a small forward, but not the best of all time. he has one AA jumper, which was this year and he shouldn't have got it in the first place. He is a front runner, banging goals in most games St kilda win easily.

Most other top class small forwards are so good they move up the ground into better positions. hence why they don't have the goal record of him. Plus he is probably very lucky to still be playing the game, no mention of why, I think people can work it out for themselves

Plus he is probably very lucky to still be playing the game, no mention of why, I think people can work it out for themselves

Go on. Tell us why. Don't just snipe.

I reckon Col Sylvia is luckier. Kicking his girlfriend, running away from accidents ...

Go on. Tell us why. Don't just snipe.

I reckon Col Sylvia is luckier. Kicking his girlfriend, running away from accidents ...

Running away from an accident when he was not the driver? Look up the law, this is not illegal.
No doubt he had something to hide, probably the same thing that I have seen players from a variety of clubs involved in.

Kicking his girlfriend, not defendable and unexcusable. But there are probably 1-5 players at every club who are guilty of similar events.

Silly and disappointing behaviour no doubt, but not quite jail worthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back