Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, Cyril missed games, so stop talking about totals as if they are a fair comparison. Secondly, Cyril does play midfield a bit, so he is less likely to kick goals, and more likely to get goal assists.

If buddy kicked 70 goals and had no goal assists, and Rioli had 0 goals but 70 goal assists, then i don't see how that shows buddy had a better season. Cyril would have to have played a significant portion of midfield time in order to get that many assists, but if he did get 70 as a small forward, i would say that is one of the best seasons ever by a small forward.

I didn't say that Cyril had a good season. but that just proves that he is more dangerous than the other forwards you listed. The fact that he can have a bad season and still match/be better statistically shows he is better.
Fair Enough but
For example
Milne had 20GA and 56 goals
and Rioli had 31GA and 26 goals (this is the season not including finals)
So milne still had a much better year

Actually Rioli had 29 G.A's including finals.

So even more difference though it's in 23 vs. 17 games.

Rioli's goals kicked are massively inflated by 6 and 5's against a dismal port and a injury ravaged freo

Fair Enough but
For example
Milne had 20GA and 56 goals
and Rioli had 31GA and 26 goals (this is the season not including finals)
So milne still had a much better year

76 goals contributed/22 games = 3.45 per game.

57 goals contributed/16 games = 3.56 per game

It's a bit hard for Cyril to be contributing if he's injured, isn't it? As a whole season, yes, Milne was better, but who is the more dangerous forward is Cyril, as if you have to play on him, he is more likely to contribute more goals.

76 goals contributed/22 games = 3.45 per game.

57 goals contributed/16 games = 3.56 per game

It's a bit hard for Cyril to be contributing if he's injured, isn't it? As a whole season, yes, Milne was better, but who is the more dangerous forward is Cyril, as if you have to play on him, he is more likely to contribute more goals.
Milne 3.3 Goals Contributed Per Game Rioli 3.0
According to Footywire
I think Goals are more important then GA, but thats me

Actually Rioli had 29 G.A's including finals.

So even more difference though it's in 23 vs. 17 games.

Rioli's goals kicked are massively inflated by 6 and 5's against a dismal port and a injury ravaged freo

You mean the Freo game that we only won by 22 points? And the same Port game where Cyril also had 12 tackles?

Why not also include Milne's 8 goal game in a 100 point win over Adelaide? Or how about the fact he kicked 5 goals over 6 games against the top 4?

They are small forwards. Of course they are going to kick more goals against weaker opponents.

Milne 3.3 Goals Contributed Per Game Rioli 3.0
According to Footywire
I think Goals are more important then GA, but thats me

I was going off the statistics you provided. Did you just change the statistics to prove your point? Or did you decide to actually look them up and stop pulling stuff out of your ass?

I rate GA and goals the same. Either way you get 6 points, and with GA's, you bring a teammate into the game more, which can be pretty important since, as a small forward, you are likely to drift out of the game at some point.

I was going off the statistics you provided. Did you just change the statistics to prove your point? Or did you decide to actually look them up and stop pulling stuff out of your ass?

I rate GA and goals the same. Either way you get 6 points, and with GA's, you bring a teammate into the game more, which can be pretty important since, as a small forward, you are likely to drift out of the game at some point.
According to pro stats it was 31 but footywire say 29 so dont blame me
So do you think that Stevie J had a equal 2011 to cloke because he had only one less goal contributed and played 2 less games including finals
And getting a GA is alot easier than getting a goal a GA can simply be bombing into the 50

According to pro stats it was 31 but footywire say 29 so dont blame me
So do you think that Stevie J had a equal 2011 to cloke because he had only one less goal contributed and played 2 less games including finals
And getting a GA is alot easier than getting a goal a GA can simply be bombing into the 50

Funny how you didn't switch until your point got disproved by your statistics.

Personally, i don't judge players on just one or two statistics, as it is naive to think that the player who gets the most of a certain statistic is the best player in that position. Also, Cloke and Johnson are two completely different players, so how do you pick out one statistic to compare them? For instance, Cloke broke a record for contested marking, but in exchange means he kicked less goals than say a Franklin, or less goals contributed than Johnson.

Johnson, as with Cyril, spent more time in the midfield than Cloke, so their assist totals will be higher, but goals will be lower. One could also argue that Johnson had 20 goals and 13 goal assists in three games (2 against GC and the thrashing of the Dees). Take out those three games and his average drops to 2.4 per game.

Getting a lucky goal happens just as often as a lucky assist. Remember, whoever you kick it to still has to kick the goal (a reason why score assists is probably a more accurate stat). If you want context, you have to look at each goal/GA, which i'm sure nobody can be bothered doing. However, having actually watched Cyril, how many times does his goal/GA come on the end of a run, or a magical weave out of traffic, or a piece of play where he tackles, or pressures, to be rewarded with the goal. How many times does he do something that isn't recorded on a stat sheet, but leads to a goal.

Remember we are talking the most dangerous forward. It's not all about how many goals you kick, it's about the assists, the 1%ers, the tackles, all the stuff that can lead to goals without actually getting a goal/GA to your name. As i said, it is naive to just look at one or two stats.

Funny how you didn't switch until your point got disproved by your statistics.

Personally, i don't judge players on just one or two statistics, as it is naive to think that the player who gets the most of a certain statistic is the best player in that position. Also, Cloke and Johnson are two completely different players, so how do you pick out one statistic to compare them? For instance, Cloke broke a record for contested marking, but in exchange means he kicked less goals than say a Franklin, or less goals contributed than Johnson.

Johnson, as with Cyril, spent more time in the midfield than Cloke, so their assist totals will be higher, but goals will be lower. One could also argue that Johnson had 20 goals and 13 goal assists in three games (2 against GC and the thrashing of the Dees). Take out those three games and his average drops to 2.4 per game.

Getting a lucky goal happens just as often as a lucky assist. Remember, whoever you kick it to still has to kick the goal (a reason why score assists is probably a more accurate stat). If you want context, you have to look at each goal/GA, which i'm sure nobody can be bothered doing. However, having actually watched Cyril, how many times does his goal/GA come on the end of a run, or a magical weave out of traffic, or a piece of play where he tackles, or pressures, to be rewarded with the goal. How many times does he do something that isn't recorded on a stat sheet, but leads to a goal.

Remember we are talking the most dangerous forward. It's not all about how many goals you kick, it's about the assists, the 1%ers, the tackles, all the stuff that can lead to goals without actually getting a goal/GA to your name. As i said, it is naive to just look at one or two stats.

One could also argue that cyril in those two games against a dismal port and a injury riddled fremantle (which he scored 11goals), his average goal per game would be under 1

One could also argue that cyril in those two games against a dismal port and a injury riddled fremantle (which he scored 11goals), his average goal per game would be under 1

And i'm sure you can do the same with Milne. Which is why you can't really compare two players who play two different positions.

Just for the record though, we only beat Freo by 20 odd points. He played a good game in the absence of Buddy, and, iirc, we were behind right up until the fourth quarter, so it's not really like he had plethora of opportunity.

But you didn't say anything about the rest of my post. All you did was comment on my comment about an arbitrary comparison, that had little to do with the discussion.

I think i'm pretty much done arguing with you, as i set out my points logically, and you just post yours as it seems to come to you, with stat changes, and bringing in players who don't even play in the same position.

To me Cyril is more dangerous, because of what he does when he doesn't have the ball, or the things outside of just kicking goals. Even in a season where he was poor, has struggled with inujuries, and struggled with changing his running style, which is aobut the biggest facet of his game, he still managed to be statistically competitive with the best small forwards of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah mods.. Do your thing.

Hamish Macintosh isn't best 22 according to the Roo supporters.. Ridiculous!

Yeah mods.. Do your thing.

Hamish Macintosh isn't best 22 according to the Roo supporters.. Ridiculous!

I can see where they are coming from. Can they really afford to play Petrie, Goldstein and Mcintosh in the same team? Even if Mcintosh was good as a forward (which i don't know if he is), having rucks as your FF and CHF is dangerous, and makes the forward line slower.

Edit: surely the Hille/Ryder/Bellchambers situation taught us that three rucks rarely works.

Massively underrated player, never gets beaten and matches up well against all the superstar forwards.

Well I have always regarded him highly, just assumed everyone else did as well.

Also wish Hawk fans would STFU about Cyril, he's a jet we get that, no need to hijack this thread, becuase he is far from underrated

As good as Varcoe is, he's still a poor mans Andrew Lovett. I wonder if anyone will pick him up?
Varcoe has 2 premiership medals, is only 24, and has a future. Where's the poverty?

Andrew Lovett could play at times, a true coodabeen. Lovett is a poor mans Wojcinski.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 10 Underated Players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back