List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not questioning you at all..... but what the hell are these incentives that players have hit to make us have salary cap issues? We have achieved nothing nor have the players.... Unless its incentives based on how many turnovers by foot, missed tackles and brain fart moments?

We made a Granny in 2018 and a Prelim in 2019 if my memory serves me correctly. Would have played a part in it but I do agree offering big incentives is a recipe for disaster.

We should just try...

Stephenson to North for 11.

On-trade 11 and Phillips to the Hawks for Gunston and a future third. High price over all but fu** it, we've got to salvage this.

Trade Treloar and 16 to the Dogs for whichever of 6/7/8 they get for Dunkley.

Lose Stephenson and Treloar and go to the draft with one of 6/7/8.

Hold onto our future first for draft night and trade it forward if someone slips to 13-14+

Edit: Forgot we're strictly dumping salaries 😭

So trade Stephenson AND Phillips for Gunstan and a future 3rd? He's a 29 year old medium forward.

Far out I hope things haven't gotten that bad!

Salary Cap - We need to move someone to be under next year, this has been an on going issue for the past 4-5 years. It has been caused by incentives in contracts not the base contracts. We got ourselves into a pattern of rolling over player insentive payouts owed that year to the following year. It has now got to the point the roll over effect has built up so much over the past 4 years this year we have to move someone. This started prior to Ned Guy, I know Ned Guy is a whipping boy around here, he actually has a plan to get us in a suitable position to be able to attract free agents. He has over paid some players for sure, but this started prior to him and to avoid this situation in the future his policy is higher base less to no performance based incentive to avoid this in the future.

Hey mate, Please take this with respect as I'm in no way questioning the intel you've provided in relation to the machinations at club level involving the players personal issues/relationships but I am a little confused about the salary cap information..

The salary cap includes any incentive based monetary stipulations, regardless if the player meets the outlined requirements or not.. Hence why would we roll over any of these supposed payout figures when they are already included?

i.e. Let;s take an outlier season from Josh Thomas in 2018 as an example.. His base salary may be $250k and the incentive portion of his contract may stipulate he receives another $100k if he kicks 30 goals and a further $50k if he comes in the top 10 of the B and F (Made up figures). Regardless of his base salary, the full contract of $400k is included in the cap, thus we have already accounted for the payments. If he doesn't succeed in reaching these goals, our cap doesn't change but the club saves some coin in not having to pay.

Further this doesn't make any difference if Collingwood are paying 105% or 95% of the cap in any given season as each individual contract and resultant transaction in relation to said players yearly income is accounted for and signed off by the league.

Happy to be proven wrong, or have someone explain to me why your information pertaining to the cap makes sense.. But I can't see how rolling over cash which is already acqitted in the annual cap is required?

Cheers,

Sam Edmund just said on trade radio that O’Brien will be staying at Carlton. No trade to Collingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sam Edmund just bought a new pair of runners. He's reporting that Collingwood will be contributing 25% to the cost of these runners.

Last edited:

This is really bad.

Big reason why WBD might not be able to offer us pick 14 is the lack of points to match Ugle Hagan. If we get multiple 2nd round picks for Stephenson, I can see a world where we trade:

Treloar + 2nd round pick for Pick 14 + 3rd

Which is a really really ugly trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is really bad.

Big reason why WBD might not be able to offer us pick 14 is the lack of points to match Ugle Hagan. If we get multiple 2nd round picks for Stephenson, I can see a world where we trade:

Treloar + 2nd round pick for Pick 14 + 3rd

Which is a really really ugly trade.

They are both horrendous trades. Phenomenally bad.

If that's right we're getting the same for Stevo as North get for Ben Brown with a fried knee. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back