List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does a good trade period look like for Collingwood?

For me - one of Gunston, Breust or a top 5 pick to secure a tall forward
- we have traded up in the draft
- Treloar leaving and a clearance mid ie Oliver joining and saving cap space
- Phillips, WHE, Thomas and Sier offloaded
- one or two cheap small forwards

What does a bad trade period look like?

- no forwards and no top 5 draft pick Or Tom McDonald
- Treloar is traded to Carlton or Essendon on the cheap And we pay most of his salary
- we still have salary cap issues as we retain Phillips and Treloar
- we recruit players we don’t need ie half back flankers

Would be interesting to read people’s thoughts and then compare to what actually happens and evaluate whether the club did well.

But Sides and Daics (already) are both better wingers, looking at our list I reckon his days as a regular 22 are over. Depth at best now.
Yes mayne and Phillips to me are, but if l was keeping one, who can multiple role it would be Mayne.

I literally acknowledged that, but if we get him on a very reduced salary and cheap trade, what does it matter? We are taking literally 0 risk and the Swans want him gone.
Would you rather 34yo Buddy playing half the season and kicking 30 goals or 30yo Cox playing the full season and kicking 20?
Buddy commands a presence like no other - defenders sh*t themselves and it allows the other forwards to fly under the radar. Cox is easy to defend, just get in front of him and put a body on and he has no hope of marking it.
Buddy also can electrify a crowd like no other. If we could get Buddy for one year, the pros far outweigh the cons.

Edit: also what do you mean 'hasnt played in two years?' 10 games and 27 goals in 2019 is 'not playing?' Then again, 2020 has been so long you couuld probably classify it as '2 years.'

He’s got 2 years to run on what was reportedly a heavily back-ended contract, estimates have him earning north of $1m for each of those seasons. How much of that would we be paying to make it worth our while?

Maybe only has one more year anyway. Happy to retain him and have his good influence around the club while hopefully helping to groom his replacement. With a healthy list he’s competent depth.

I gather you mean Maney? Also do you reckon Phillips has any value? Reckon there'd be a few clubs looking for an all day running wing.

Treloar would be GCS' best mid. I would say we want pick 5 & either steak knives or an upgrade of 1 or 2 of our other picks.

GCS trying to start negotiations with pick 5 not involved so that pick 5 alone is the middle point.

I think it will be pick 5 and something.

I reckon the only way we get 5 and steak knives now is if we end up paying a big chunk of Trelor’s salary (maybe $300k pa).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tom Hawkins coming out of contract and a free agent, we should give him a 2 year deal

He’s got 2 years to run on what was reportedly a heavily back-ended contract, estimates have him earning north of $1m for each of those seasons. How much of that would we be paying to make it worth our while?
All.

With Mayne he can play multiple roles ok, Phillips is a wingman or nothing, they tried hff, but was unsighted, not quick or strong enough to play back, and a average ball user, no brainer really
EFA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I would like it if we could upgrade JT to Jack Billings.....

Billings has been touted as a Sier type in that has the talent but not the want to match. How much of that is true (for both of them) I don't know.

Buyer beware I say.

Tom Hawkins coming out of contract and a free agent, we should give him a 2 year deal
No chance, same as Cameron, does not like the limelight.

So it looks like Daics and Sides are preferred on the wing and it looks like Phillips has been told so, but no noise on telling Mayne. I'd argue both of those players are both better than either Phillips or Mayne in that wing position.

Would anyone be keen on trading Phillips and or Mayne? Does anyone think they're of any value?

Or would it be better and would the club be thinking of rotating Sides / Daics with Mayne as a crumb forward?

Further left field and it is purely a question, coz he seems like the 'right attitude' guy - would the club or any of you guys entertain the idea of Mayne in off field role?

if it finally means the club is focussing on good ball users, then trade Phillips and Mayne etc.

I feel like Mayne does a good job with his pressure acts. This forum tends to hate on him which has been a surprise to me. I think he's a valuable piece

Seen blokes move the footy quicker in super league.

Really? He’s had one good year.

Laird, Smith, Rich, Doc, Crisp, Houli, Lloyd, Whitfield, ZWill, Byrne-Jones.. Johannisen even been up there longer than Saad. Short is just as good, if not better.
I’d take him over Smith, Doc, Byrne-Jones and Johannisen and have him on par with Crisp. Saad’s been up there ever since he was drafted he just hasn’t gotten the recognition since he played for a horrible Gold Coast outfit and an average Essendon one.

if it finally means the club is focussing on good ball users, then trade Phillips and Mayne etc.
No one is going to trade for Mayne, not at his age, good depth for one more year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back